General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Which is why I mentioned the rangerover by name Discos are one step away from an escape imho.

You don't know what you're talking about. Discovery's are very capable vehicles and share nothing or even a semblance to an Escape. I'd rock one as a comfy alternative to a Jeep Cherokee (all time favorite SUV). The LR3's started to loose direction, but apparently are still quite good offroad if you so choose to take one there. The biggest problem with all of them is that the factory tires are like factory Cherokee tires, nearly identical to what you'd see on a Malibu. Get some decent rubber around those wheels and enjoy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Well this looks a lot more capable than an element with tires and a lift would be to be honest. The tires look tall enough, the ground clearance is good for it's wheel base... I'm sure it's actually a fun little deal.

People are looking at it wrong. No it isn't a rock crawler. That's what a rubicon is for. This is the classic range rover spirit of being comfortable out in the middle of nowhere. None of them were honestly that impressive in stock form for any sort of hard core wheeling. This is a continuation of that using more modern technology.
More capable than a Honda Element offroad? You gotta be shittin me dawg..

I was simply commenting on the look, I have no idea how capable or not capable the new Defender really is offroad. One thing is sure though, it wouldn't take a very big rock to fuck up those huge alloy wheels with the stylishly low profile rubber bands.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. Discovery's are very capable vehicles and share nothing or even a semblance to an Escape. I'd rock one as a comfy alternative to a Jeep Cherokee (all time favorite SUV). The LR3's started to loose direction, but apparently are still quite good offroad if you so choose to take one there. The biggest problem with all of them is that the factory tires are like factory Cherokee tires, nearly identical to what you'd see on a Malibu. Get some decent rubber around those wheels and enjoy.

Meh. A TRD taco will pwn it's face.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:

I didn't say it was taking home any trophies, just that it was a good option. Stop being such a dickhole.

jaredballer

Quote:

I wouldn't count on it, a Disco with some BFG A/T's could do some serious work...

pepperochini

looks like the product of incest.

+

=

covery

jaredballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperochini View Post
looks like the product of incest.

+

=

covery

except a stock xterra (pro-4x) would run circles around this new defender off-road any day, probably

DopefishLives

Speculation.

I bet a an AR15 assault riflewould run circles around an E-11 blaster rifle as well.

P.S. Xterras are cool.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
I just had to google Evoque because I don't know shit, only to scroll through tons of pics of an Evoque cruising on highways and 1 pic of it going through a real puddle!

Same deal - about as off-road capable as a first gen subaru forester.

You definitely don't know shit; then again, you like don't read anything that's actually *printed* any more, and given that I read a rather substantial article in the PRINTED TopGear MAGAZINE, chances of you finding it with a half-assed google search are about the level with your IQ--i.e., damn near nil.

To summarize:
  • They started in the highlands of Scotland, during a rather messy rain, where it handled pretty much everything they threw at it;
  • They then flew to Las Vegas, where it did as expected on the streets and highways;
  • Then a flight to Dubai, where it did pretty well on the dunes, only actually got stuck once iirc;
  • Finally, the went to Iceland, and handled up on ice, snow, and rock, even whacking it pretty hard on the rocks, I think they managed to actually break something then, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

When I go back to work on Wednesday, I'll get the mag and scan the article, since it seems they don't post them online. It really was one helluva read, and what they put that car thru was rather extensive, and difficult. It was VERY surprising.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post

I've driven a few so-called off-road vehicles, ranging from the entire Ford lineup, thru Chevy trucks and an H2, up to the Jeep/Dodge line; and of the entire bunch, the ONE vehicle that stood out as the most WILLING off-roader was the Escape. it was the one vehicle that just wanted me to push it faster and faster, no matter how rough the road was. The suspension soaked up everything I threw at it, and the car was very balanced and controllable. And I verified this again when I took the wife's Mercury Mariner to Lousyanna to inspect FEMA homes--it just shrugged off everything without breaking a sweat. When my wife came down to visit and brought my Lightning, and I had to drive it when the battery on the Mariner puked, it was like driving a jackhammer without benefit of gloves, it was just nasty harsh on even mildly harsh roads; and forget gravel, all over the place on gravel, while the Mariner just glided right over it.

And, it makes sense: look at the SCORE trophy trucks, the Baja runners, with those hugely articulated independent suspensions. They are very soft with lots of travel, and can soak up shit that would make the toughest Jeep whine and cry and yell " me!!" And then tg:uk had the Local Motors Rally Fighter, which is designed very much like a Baja car, and meant to go fast over rough stuff (and Hammond hydrolocking it doesn't count as a suspension breakage).

So, yeah: Evoque, Disco, just can't handle it, cuz they don't have buckboard suspensions.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

gribly

Okay Tex, whatever. I still speculate that it doesn't have the suspension strength and axle strength to do any real balls out wheeling. It'll get you to the cabin in winter, but you better not go exploring ATV trails during a blizzard or mud season. I stand by saying it's about as capable as a first gen Forester. It'll probably make it further, yeah, but it still won't follow my Mazda even if I don't lock in the 4 wheel.

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterDick View Post
looks a lot like that Toyota piece of junk... but, tbh, i like it...

I guarantee the FJ Cruiser will out-perform this off-road any day of the week.

Also, for the price difference, you could outfit an FJ Cruiser to absolutely demolish the Defender.

jaredballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post

Also, for the price difference, you could outfit an FJ Cruiser to absolutely demolish the Defender.

I'd start with a Wrangler/XJ or anything with front & rear solid axles + short wheel base 90-100 inches, but yes, for a fraction of the cost

DopefishLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post

So you've seen the options sheet for this thing? I'm curious about some of the statistics or possibly reviews of both that you are using in order to draw this thorough and thought out conclusion.

Tex Arcana

I'm not gonna start the flamewar again, but I think you stick-axle fanbois just can't put down the stone-aged-tech cock to save your necks. It's just none of you have the imagination or intellect to see beyond what some guy (who says his junk will climb mountains, change climates, and make female monkies wet) tells you to think.

--John Hobbs