General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
None of that is street legal - you can't come anywhere close to that on a street legal vehicle.

If we're opening it up to any setup, sure - you can do some wacky ass shit and just strap a jet to it Levitate over the rocks. You're not going to see something like that on a normal vehicle though, which is what we're really talking about here - you see plenty of Jeeps with stick axles setup for similar stuff driving on the road (other than tire wear).

If you want to go strictly by the book on legal, then most off-roaders would be illegal for various reasons... headlight base-height alone would disqualify most trucks that have been modified to some degree.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pepperochini

I just don't see why you would pay so much money for this shit when you could get an xterra, fj or something similar and go ballz out with it and still have some extra cash. It looks like a fucking rav4 mobile . I'm offended. It's the equivalent of a post op tranny compared to the original defender

gribly

Tex, you are really, really stretching it trying so hard to be right. None of those examples count as far as factory 4x4's go, and they don't prove anything, either. You can make almost anything work if you build it right. You posted that SAE thing to prove that you know about 4x4's? That doesn't mean shit as far as this topic goes, and that has about nothing to do with a full size 4x4.

Ah, I know what it is. You are unable to think like a normal human due to lack of a chin to scratch. Cool buggy, though. How'd it place?

Last edited by gribly; 09-07-2011 at 02:21 PM..

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
If you want to go strictly by the book on legal, then most off-roaders would be illegal for various reasons... headlight base-height alone would disqualify most trucks that have been modified to some degree.

Nah, the laws in most states are more relaxed than you think. In Maine, it's a 54" bumper height and your tires cannot stick out past the fenders - plus, there is a little blurb about not disconnecting factory suspension, which basically means you can't get a sticker if you use chunks of 2x4 for lift blocks and are using bent re-bar as a drag link.

I've also seen inspection stations fail vehicles for having larger tires while while equipped with ABS.

Last edited by gribly; 09-07-2011 at 02:24 PM..

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
None of that is street legal - you can't come anywhere close to that on a street legal vehicle.

If we're opening it up to any setup, sure - you can do some wacky ass shit and just strap a jet to it Levitate over the rocks. You're not going to see something like that on a normal vehicle though, which is what we're really talking about here - you see plenty of Jeeps with stick axles setup for similar stuff driving on the road (other than tire wear).

Sure it is. We had kids in HS with baja trucks that had like 3 feet of travel, literally. Basically IFS/IRS is conceptually better all around, but it's cheaper and easier once again to implement a stick axle since it's a factory option. bang for the buck-wise stick axles win off road.

For sand and baja type shit IFS is great, for mud and rocks the added clearance is a huge help as well...

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post

And the book in most places still states that bumpers be between certain heights off the ground, as well as the side frames. So, pretty much all the hard-core rock crawlers, despite their alleged "street-legal" status, really aren't. And if they're passing inspections (likely due to $$$ or blow jobs to get the signed sticker), then those I posted could conceivably pass as well. So there.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Tex, you are really, really stretching it trying so hard to be right. None of those examples count as far as factory 4x4's go, and they don't prove anything, either. You can make almost anything work if you build it right. You posted that SAE thing to prove that you know about 4x4's? That doesn't mean shit as far as this topic goes, and that has about nothing to do with a full size 4x4.

Ah, I know what it is. You are unable to think like a normal human due to lack of a chin to scratch. Cool buggy, though. How'd it place?

I've got just enough chin to scratch, thankyouverymuch.

And the rock crawlers in question? They're less stock than my fucking MiniBaja car, so where does that leave them? Same place.

Posting the MB car proves I know independent suspensions, since I'm the one that designed it on that car--along with the basic frame shape, the cockpit (with a full 8" of fore-aft seat adjustment); the drivetrain (mid-engined with forward/reverse transmission) mounted on a 4-bolt subframe that lifts right out for service, engine, CVT, trans, and all; and the steering system. So, I think I know a little bit about it.

Oh, we placed mid-pack (42/101), and a little higher than mid-pack in the endurance race. We made the mistake of spooling the diff in the transmission, and screwed it up during reassembly--before the spool, we could hit an honest 30-35mph; after, the trans had a bind in it, and it slowed us down considerably. Still, during testing we hit a tree with the front suspension (5" diameter tree), which just knocked the tree over and rode the car about 4' up the trunk. And NO DAMAGE to the lower control arm.

The damn thing was solid; and putting Ackerman in the front steering meant it was HUGELY maneuverable, even after the spool. During the enduro, we slashed a few tires on the rocks (and took whole CHUNKS out of the aluminum wheels), and finally realized the best way to deal with the rocks was to drive OVER them, and let the 1/4" T6 belly plates take the brunt of the impacts--which did nothing but kinda scratch them. Had we more speed, we could have placed higher; but we were able to reverse out of situations that would have garnered penalties for needing a push to get out of a jam.

Considering that we placed in the bottom 1/4 the year before, neither car finishing the enduro, and our team leader getting tossed out of the competition for being a jackass, we did damned well. And, yeah, I'm proud of myself for leading a good team and helping make an excellent vehicle.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

SamFarber

1) you will never go poor underestimating the judgment, class, or taste of the American moron. So make another car that looks like it was designed by a 12 year old for 12 year olds.

2) who comes up with these stupid names?

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
1) you will never go poor underestimating the judgment, class, or taste of the American moron. So make another car that looks like it was designed by a 12 year old for 12 year olds.

2) who comes up with these stupid names?

Hey, Defender was a cool game in it's day...

--John Hobbs

SamFarber

Quote:
Have you actually seen this one? That's not even remotely a normal suspension. If it's the tube-car I'm thinking of, it can actually rotate those suspension bits around entirely to in front of the nose or behind, as needed. Sweet as fuck, but bonkers.

How about electric 4x4 - motors on each wheel - no need for elaborate drivechain BS.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post

About damn time someone actually thought outside the Jeep jizz-filled box...

I don't really understand much of this, but I always had this vision of the dumbassed "4x4's" where the body is 10 feet off the ground but a little rock is still catching the differential which is a foot and a half off the ground.....

Rancidpunk666

well they finally built the fucking new bronco they've talking about for years now... unfortunately nissan engineers built the front clip.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

ugliest pos i've ever seen. kill yourself OP you douche

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

At what point did this thread go from the British posermobile to custom built, non-street legal rock crawlers?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
At what point did this thread go from the British posermobile to custom built, non-street legal rock crawlers?

Almost instantly

Hay what a POS bet you can't even fit 44" boggers on it