General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Don't go by the "avg" that the onboard computer gives you....calculate it the old fashioned way between fillups. And yes, modern engines still need breaking in to get their best power/mpg.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

U Caught The Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlStreamnet View Post
If thats the 'running average' odds are its way off because the sample data isn't enough.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
34km is the trip meter or total miles?

How can you worry about mileage when you haven't actually driven the car? It will take like 50-100 miles just for the ECU to build up the VE tables...

And this.

Fri'Chickenisha

Trade that in on an M3, you'll get better gas mileage.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri'Chickenisha View Post

[H]ard|On, you Teutonic twat, stop hacking accounts so you can spam your fucking kraut jizz!!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory Hallelujah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Why would an overly tight engine NOT need to be broken in?

My understanding is that some new engines are extremely tight (mine was) and they do need to be broken in to get proper mileage.

Warm it up and then bury your foot in it for a good break in.

Yeah, new cars definitely need to be broken in. The difference these days is that it takes significantly less time than it used to. Once warm, make sure you rev it a bit and don't keep it at constant rpms or idle for a while in order to force the rings to expand against the cylinder walls and properly burnish them. Back in the day these clearances and the honing processes were shit so it took a lot longer to do this. I'm also in favour of driving a new engine with gusto (once warm) as I feel it helps high-rpm fitment in the long term. Also, change the oil within 200km as there will inevitably be little metal bits in there from any break-in process and you don't want them shits circulating.

No matter how new, 34 km means the car is not quite broken in yet.

OP, I think the reason that car is getting such shit mileage is two-fold. One, it was probably not broken in properly which is mostly due to, Two, it's a test drive vehicle. Ignoring the fact that almost any test drive car will be bagged on, think frequent starts for short trips which is really not great for a diesel engine. Even little diesel engines take more time to warm up and you know that car hasn't had that. With that in mind, the kms are really low so it's not really an accurate figure.

did the both of you go from mildly lucent to totally in the space of two posts??

OP, don't listen to these fools, they just proved that they don't have the mental acumen of theWITLESS on B12 supplements.

ALL new motors and trans are dyno tested before installation into a car, the equivalent of 200 or more miles for most manufacturers (unless you're talking Russian T34 tanks, where you have to fish out about 10 lbs of metal shavings after the first 15 minutes). 34km--21mi--is just enough to drive it out of the assembly plant, to a parking lot, to a transporter, off the transporter, to the dealer parking lot, and maybe a bit more moving around on the lot. Given that, 14l/100km is about 20mpg, which isn't surprising at all given the type of driving (not enough time for full warmup, super short trips, etc).

So, yeah, stfu and stop worrying, you'll get your 50mpg soon enough.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

SamFarber

Those little doo-dads are never worth a shit. Do it the old fashioned way by filling up twice and dividing the distance by the fuel.

Are you comparing diesel vs gas versions?

Truth is, a lot of older cars made respectable gas mileage.

And tighter tolerances should mean a longer break-in period. :-P Just kidding.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
[H]ard|On, you Teutonic twat, stop hacking accounts so you can spam your fucking kraut jizz!!

Don't make me hack yours... I've thought about it before but I couldn't think of anything more embarassing to say than the stuff you come up with on your own

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Don't make me hack yours... I've thought about it before but I couldn't think of anything more embarassing to say than the stuff you come up with on your own

--John Hobbs

Scatman

Why the hell you driving a diesel Hyundai? Granted they're nice cars overall, but dudebro, go TDI or go home.

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Those little doo-dads are never worth a shit. Do it the old fashioned way by filling up twice and dividing the distance by the fuel.

Are you comparing diesel vs gas versions?

Truth is, a lot of older cars made respectable gas mileage.

And tighter tolerances should mean a longer break-in period. :-P Just kidding.

the gas version is utter crap, had one as a rental and it felt slower and less responsive than the diesel. I'd never buy one of those. there are a few of these diesel cars in the motor pool. The others get about 6l to 8l/100km and they're all pretty new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri'Chickenisha View Post
Sorry, no nazi hitler cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
He probably couldn't get a used E-350 where he is at now.

sadly, no

Quote:
34km is the trip meter or total miles?

How can you worry about mileage when you haven't actually driven the car? It will take like 50-100 miles just for the ECU to build up the VE tables...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DlStreamnet View Post
If thats the 'running average' odds are its way off because the sample data isn't enough.
True. I'll report back later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
what are you driving around in a new car for?
I needed to collect more batteries as mine had died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onigami View Post
looks like you're stopped and still in second gear
Yea, I was stopped and the light didnt shift down yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazingHL View Post
With only 34km on it? Has it even left the dealer lot yet?

If 34km is all it has on it, the car probably see a lot of idle, hard acceleration, hard deceleration, no constant speed, and driven 3km at one time for test drive. It wouldn't be a surprise.
normal city driving - about 35 to 50 miles an hour.

theWITNESS

Is the fuel economy meter an "instant L/100km" meter or "average"?

If it's instantaneous, that mileage at idle is quite good ... my car shows 99.9L/100km when sitting at idle.

If it's average, it's still probably normal for a brand new car that's only seen delivery/test drive miles (the majority of which are hard driven).

Perc
New and shiny title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post
Why the hell you driving a diesel Hyundai? Granted they're nice cars overall, but dudebro, go TDI or go home.
Most manufacturers these days have good diesel engines, Hyundai included.

I'm guessing it's a 1.6 CRDi. It should get way WAY better mileage than that.

Lantec
PozMcAIDS_McFaggotPants

maybe it's just been reset for the running average? I reset mine after a fill up and my prius sometimes reads 14.4+ L/ 100 km if I really get on it.. but it stabilizes as I drive more.

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazingHL View Post
With only 34km on it? Has it even left the dealer lot yet?

If 34km is all it has on it, the car probably see a lot of idle, hard acceleration, hard deceleration, no constant speed, and driven 3km at one time for test drive. It wouldn't be a surprise.

TSRH, dealers around here like to leave the AC on and the car idling a lot of the time when they're showing people cars.

d114

it seems to last forever on one tank of diesel.

But I'm not driving it much though.