General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
Disconnect the driveshaft, run fwd.

Just like honda.

It'll do a staving burnout like that, too.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ritalinjoe

Bit the bullet and took it to my brothers shop. We will see what happens.

ritalinjoe

FFFFUUUUUUU

It's the transfer case. Fuck.

colinshark

Oh nooooooooooo

ritalinjoe

God I wish I knew how to rebuild a transfer case. I've never even opened one up.

I guess the best bet is to either buy a rebuilt one for 400-600 and install it myself or have my brothers shop rebuild the original one for whoever knows how much.

I don't want to go the junkyard route, because I could very well spend all day removing and installing a junked transfer case only to have it last a few weeks or not at all.

BTW, It's a Borg Warner T6056, used in 92-96 Broncos and up to 97 F150's. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

d114

Omit the transfer case. Remove it completely then get a new tailshaft and driveshaft and 2wd it.

Transfer case is much less complicated than a transmission. My dad's friend rebuilt my dad's np205 right in front of his trailer once.

are you sure about that part number? also are you running weird sized tires?

ritalinjoe

31x10.50's and pretty sure about the part number. I'm going to crawl up under there to make sure, but it will have to wait. Threw my back out last night.

ritalinjoe

Also no chance in hell am I going to 2wd it. I use 4wd in it far too often to consider that as an option.

u467

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,8458

reman ~$750
Core is $350 which means you are unlikely to find one for less than that in junkyards. I'd just go with a remanufactured unit...

gribly

A 1356 will be a few hundred at a junkyard. Shit, if it comes down to it - buy a clunker, pull the t-case, and sell the rest to be crushed. It's a pretty common transfer case, lots of options for you. Just so happens the little brother fits in the same spot - the 1354. You also might have to err... "adjust" your driveshaft length to fit a 1354, but at least it will bolt in place! Be careful though, it's weaker and has an aluminum case. Is yours electric or manual? The '54 comes in both flavors. Some other t-cases for ford truck will fit - but they have awd or are clutch engaged and are not worth the effort. The 1350 will fit, too, but a fullsize bronco is way too heavy to wheel with one of these.

Last edited by gribly; 09-21-2011 at 07:17 PM..

M-Unit
Master-B and is gay lover Jumbypunk = OWNED.

fullsizebronco.com has guides on the transfer case rebuilds.

They're not too bad to do

"All messages posted become the property of General Mayhem, LLC."

ritalinjoe

Sweet, on top of that now one of the Axle seals is leaking severely. So now I have open up the diff cover again (for the 4th time in 2 weeks), pull out the axle shafts and replace the seals.

From what my brother told me it shouldn't be too hard, plus my neighbor is going to let me use his garage and possibly help if he doesn't have to work this weekend.

Just went to the dump today with a load of packing materials from work (my garage is FULL OF TRASH since the Bronco has been down), bit the bullet and drove it. Now there's a fine spattering of diff fluid all through the wheel well, all over the back of the tire and on one of the exhaust tips.

I've had to drive the truck a couple of times since it started fucking up and I figured if the transfer case is going to go, it's going to go. I have AAA premium or gold or whatever, so it's no problem to tow it back to the house.

I've found that it only makes a steady thump at low speeds, like under 15mph, after that it's a bit noticeable, but nothing big.

Btw, I'll be replacing the axle seals and diff fluid (again) this weekend. Still tracking down a Differential or trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to try and tackle rebuilding it myself.