General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

princess0fdiabl0

Help me pick a truck.

So we're selling off the wife's Supercharged Frontier. She can't afford the payments on it anymore. Need to buy a beater to replace it in the meantime, for truckly duties.

Truck needs to:
Cost less than $6k, preferably more like $4k (SoCal)
Tow at least 3,000 lbs without issue (trailer + horses + gear) I'm guessing at least a v6
15+ mpg.
That's really it.

What's good? I know fuck all about trucks. Should I just point myself at the nearest F150? I'm seeing a shit load of them at like 180k+ miles on craigslist - is that really standard?
It's going to get driven maybe 2k miles a year. I tend towards vehicles <70k miles but it seems like that's not even a realistic request with most of these trucks. I just want a trouble free and low maintenance as possible platform.

F150? Ranger? Ram? Silverado? Trouble years to look out for?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

theWITNESS

Get a Ranger if you don't need the size or V8 of the fullsize trucks.

They're bulletproof.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Sell the horses too and get a car

Or an early tundra...

d114

It's time to inject some style into your life. May I suggest the 1948-1951 Chevrolet 3100.

This WILL haul your horses. It has a 4 speed with a granny gear. This will also look good in your driveway. It can be had for about 5 grand or so. Plus if you paint it blue you can park inside old navy. The manager will think the old displays are coming back. Think of all the free clothing you can get!

Maintenance is a non-issue. Any joe at the service station can lube these up. Take it to wal-mart for an oil change and ask for a full lube. That takes care of maintenance and it's about 30 bucks. Parts are plentiful off ebay and every single replacement part can be said to be an 'upgrade' for the vehicle. Solid state ignition and you're rocking the 90's. The inline six is as reliable as they get and the transmission is bulletproof. No expensive parts are on this car; the most expensive parts would probably be the glass. No expensive sensors to break, no worrying about smog checks, no obd2. Just a simple machine that does a great job in style, while getting your target fuel economy.

But seriously, you live in CA. Try getting a pre-smog vehicle. Maybe a nice 68-72 C20. Or maybe a titan with a full floater dana. (do not attempt to tow with the stock axle)

Last edited by d114; 09-22-2011 at 06:45 AM..

d114

How about this car? It has the doors of a ranger but the body of a chevrolet! Best of both worlds!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...m/1292419.html

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
It's time to inject some style into your life. May I suggest the 1948-1951 Chevrolet 3100.

This WILL haul your horses. It has a 4 speed with a granny gear. This will also look good in your driveway. It can be had for about 5 grand or so. Plus if you paint it blue you can park inside old navy. The manager will think the old displays are coming back. Think of all the free clothing you can get!

Maintenance is a non-issue. Any joe at the service station can lube these up. Take it to wal-mart for an oil change and ask for a full lube. That takes care of maintenance and it's about 30 bucks. Parts are plentiful off ebay and every single replacement part can be said to be an 'upgrade' for the vehicle. Solid state ignition and you're rocking the 90's. The inline six is as reliable as they get and the transmission is bulletproof. No expensive parts are on this car; the most expensive parts would probably be the glass. No expensive sensors to break, no worrying about smog checks, no obd2. Just a simple machine that does a great job in style, while getting your target fuel economy.

But seriously, you live in CA. Try getting a pre-smog vehicle. Maybe a nice 68-72 C20. Or maybe a titan with a full floater dana. (do not attempt to tow with the stock axle)

One day
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

_cashel

I'd look for a 97 - 03 F150 with the 5.4 and less than 150k, but I'm biased.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

90-96 F-series (can find the F250 and up with them, but rare) with the 4.9L I6
TOARK

Asa of the Infidel Crew

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
90-96 F-series (can find the F250 and up with them, but rare) with the 4.9L I6
TOARK

he's not gonna get 15mpg with that though

asa

i have a '93, i get 17 pretty reliably, and if i baby it i can get above that pretty easily
cruise control could net me 20

Asa of the Infidel Crew

princess0fdiabl0

Yeaaaah as much as a classic truck is nice on some levels, I need a beater. We park it under a tree that shits pollen and leaves on it all year. I'll consider the early F-150s but it's *technically* the wife's truck and I don't think she'd go for an older truck like that.

Leaning towards an auto 3.0 ranger at the moment - think I'd prefer the smaller truck.

gribly

A 3.0 will not tow very good at ALL. Get a 4.0. The 3.0 is as slow as the early 4cyl 4wd rangers.

gribly

But a ranger is the right choice for a small truck, be careful of the '98-'00 4wd trucks, make sure the 4wd actually works or else use that as a bargaining chip to drop the price by several hundred, then bypass the vacuum system and/or get manual hubs.

princess0fdiabl0

Yeah I've heard the bad things about it's 4wd system, I'm steering clear of the 4x4s in general. No need for it here.
The 4.0 would be nice but its on maybe 1/10 Rangers vs 5/10 3.0 and 4/10 4cyls.
Alternatively I could go explorer sport trac since they all came with the 4.0s. We need a bed but it doesnt have to be huge, and the interior is way nicer on the sport trac, hmm.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0 View Post
I'll consider the early F-150s but it's *technically* the wife's truck and I don't think she'd go for an older truck like that.

any particular reason why?
hell, until i started tearing up the seat with the clip of my knife, my truck's interior was pretty nice, and there's a fair amount out there that are owned by some old dude or the widow of some old dude, find a nice one, you'll enjoy it

Asa of the Infidel Crew