General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

crshbndct

Onstar keeps tracking your vehicle after to turn service off, sells information on.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Suicide King

so it knows i've been hotboxing that mother fucker like a mother fucker?

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

I believe you can still use the emergency services even after disconnecting from the other services so it kinda makes sense that it would still be active in some way. And if you aren't paying them, they are gonna make money somehow.

seriously, in this day and age you should just accept that anything with any kind of GPS in it is tracking you at all times and that anyone you give any personal info to will use that info to make money. I don't know why anyone would assume anything otherwise, even if they are told otherwise.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

knowing they can track your car if its stolen for free is definately worth it.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
knowing they can track your car if its stolen for free is definately worth it.

I'm almost disappointed I never got to use the lojack system in my old car.

zumpiez5
Lasko
<3 yuor sekrat admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
I believe you can still use the emergency services even after disconnecting from the other services so it kinda makes sense that it would still be active in some way. And if you aren't paying them, they are gonna make money somehow.

seriously, in this day and age you should just accept that anything with any kind of GPS in it is tracking you at all times and that anyone you give any personal info to will use that info to make money. I don't know why anyone would assume anything otherwise, even if they are told otherwise.

Exactly. Find a way to have people willingly give you every detail of their life and computerize it and you have a business. Facebook does it around "social networking", Google does it around search history, Youtube same thing.

uRizen

I'll be more worried the day I'm forced to install government GPS tracking chips in my 1988 Ford Econoline cargo van with "Free Candy" scrawled on the side.

Until then you'll just need to keep one modern car for daily driving and an old beater for the weekend raping.

crshbndct

i think the real controversy was not the tracking, but the changes to the TOS that you cannot decline.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Meh.

It can't be too hard to find and pull or disable the Onstar module in a vehicle. Hopefully as simple as pulling a fuse.

daswulfkralle

<insert 2 fast 2 furious joke here>

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Meh.

It can't be too hard to find and pull or disable the Onstar module in a vehicle. Hopefully as simple as pulling a fuse.

It doesn't look too bad, you do need to remove the trunk lining in most cases but from there it's a matter of yanking three connectors and calling it a day, or finding the windshield/rear window antenna and pulling the plug.

I still don't see the big deal, OnStar changed their privacy policies (which I admit are a bit broad for my tastes) but took the proper steps to notify their customers. If you look at the actual document they offer a toll-free number to contact if you wish to limit information disclosure (except as law requires) and obtain more information, perhaps even where to go to have the module disabled. http://www.onstar.com/tunnel-web/web...t-2011-USE.pdf

Aseras

I think all the privacy laws ( credit card banking, insurance medical etc. ) should be altered so that its automatically opt out. Unless, you specifically in writing for some absurd reason feel like giving away your rights and opting in. It should be illegal to have any recourse or compensation for the decision you make. No affiliates, no marketing, no loopholes.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
so it knows i've been hotboxing that mother fucker like a mother fucker?

i hope not...

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
I think all the privacy laws ( credit card banking, insurance medical etc. ) should be altered so that its automatically opt out. Unless, you specifically in writing for some absurd reason feel like giving away your rights and opting in. It should be illegal to have any recourse or compensation for the decision you make. No affiliates, no marketing, no loopholes.
"opt out" means that you have to contact them to stop it. you want it to be opt in.

pepperochini

ur cell phone, atm/credit transactions are always watching you too.. oh your land line might be tapped, and your surfing habits may be monitored , go live in a fuckin cave with maggots you foooking ... 's