General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

personally, i like going with parts that have a warranty if something goes wrong with them, eBay doesn't do that

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BonneMe

Half assing repairs on a $1700 car makes it a $900 car.

Typhoon43

You do understand that these Tranny fluid "coolers" built into radiators are actually transmission fluid heaters more than anything, right?

grjr

if you scroll down a little in the thread below you can see some pictures of what a trans cooler in a radiator might look like just to give you an idea

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-199...o-i-clean.html

crshbndct

the tranny cooler is like 2% of the total volume of the radiator. just put it in and enjoy a non overheating, properly running car.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Yeah having actually held the new radiator (and, well, felt all the hot areas) I'm much relieved to learn that the trans cooler isn't some kind of like... Second radiator hogging up all the surface area.

It's installed, semi decently... pics later today.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
If you don't have $300, you can't afford to have a car, fucktard. I'd say "get a Huffy", but then you'd probably buy some ebay seat for your fat ass that wouldn't fit (and then complain about it on the internet).

It's not the amount spent that makes it a half-assed job. The part that makes it a half-assed job is the fact that you ran out and bought some POS radiator before you had any idea whether it would work or not. That's why you RESEARCH before you put money down.

As far as know-nothing elitist pricks go, let me know when you've rebuilt from scratch one of the most complex Japanese cars from the '90s by yourself, or managed a restoration from the ground up on a much-loved classic and not fucked it up. My credentials aren't in question here, yours are.

Okay. I'll try to address this.

If I were to find a decrepit but somewhat well preserved 91 300zx TT in a barn, STOLE it from the poor old lady who owns it for $1700... Would I put a $46 radiator in that? Oh HELL no.

Don't get me wrong here.

I can't cite many other car repair situations I've been in... Let's see... The 93 MR2 Turbo I had... It's alternator went out. I bought a reman alternator and spared no expense. I suppose sparing no expense might mean digging a NOS unit out of some shelf in some warehouse somewhere and dropping some serious money on it, but I put in the time and effort, did a careful job, I loved that car.

This civic? It's basic transportation. if a meteor fell out of the sky and crushed it tomorrow would I shed a tear? Probably not. If that same meteor had landed in my parking spot two years prior and crunched my Legacy? Fuck yes I would. You love the HELL out of the cars you restored, you spared no expense, and it shows. I'm not "restoring" this civic, I'm "keeping it going." I'm not "flipping" this car for a profit, when this engine goes it's off to the scrap heap and I'll scrape up another $2000 and do it all over again.

Did I rush my car to a body shop when I clunked into a curb to have the front lip reattached? No, I drilled holes and lashed on some zip ties. If I had done this with my riced out Eclipse (actually I did this on multiple occasions) I would go straight to a body shop, and did, I ordered a factory urethane bumper cover from http://car-parts.com, had it painted professionally, had the gaudy wing shaved professionally... among other things...

I can go on... The civic gets all that I can give it, and rest assured... When this plastic radiator melts/explodes/otherwise fails, Automay will be the first to know. I am a glutton for punishment after all. I'm going through a hard time financially and saying that I'm relegated to the BUS or HUFFYING my fat ass around is simply not true, and I have proven that.

I stand behind my statement that spending $300 on a $1700 car for anything short of a shadetree engine rebuild is foolish. I am confident that this radiator will last a fair amount of time.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 10-08-2011 at 06:48 AM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

the black box is... uh... a secret turbo kit

thats...

driven by the water pump... yes.

d114

wait... didnt you say you would post pics?

[edit] nevermind

[edit] what the heck? did you buy the teg hoses or did you use the stock ones again? It looks like you could fix that kink by cutting a bit of it. Also use rubber grommets to reduce the chance of stress fractures on the plastic end tanks. Also wait... did you use one of those plastic ties to mount a fan to???

Also the condenser fan won't turn on unless it has AC. So you might want to consider wiring it up to a relay fixed to the primary cooling fan.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

buahahha

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
wait... didnt you say you would post pics?

[edit] nevermind

[edit] what the heck? did you buy the teg hoses or did you use the stock ones again? It looks like you could fix that kink by cutting a bit of it. Also use rubber grommets to reduce the chance of stress fractures on the plastic end tanks. Also wait... did you use one of those plastic ties to mount a fan to???

Also the condenser fan won't turn on unless it has AC. So you might want to consider wiring it up to a relay fixed to the primary cooling fan.

Nah the black box is actually covering THREE countem THREE hose clamps. I had to use a "radiator hose repair kit" (read: serrated plastic tube) to conjoin a wider hose to a smaller gauge FACTORY hose.

I suppose using Integra hoses could be a long term fix, I just don't know whether the routing would be the same. The factory hoses would ABSOLUTELY NOT fit on this radiators' inlet/outlet.

No AC. The e-fan I purchased and wired up spins up as needed. And yeah, it's attached to the radiator the "shitty" way. The mounting kit was pretty comprehensive though, foam pads on the side you see, springs on the opposite side.

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Nah the black box is actually covering THREE countem THREE hose clamps. I had to use a "radiator hose repair kit" (read: serrated plastic tube) to conjoin a wider hose to a smaller gauge FACTORY hose.

No AC. The e-fan I purchased and wired up spins up as needed. And yeah, it's attached to the radiator the "shitty" way. The mounting kit was pretty comprehensive though, foam pads on the side you see, springs on the opposite side.

I see your point on being cheap in fixing the car - it's a beater and all but you're really hacking into the car with all of these things now. The more 'fixes' (variables) you enter into your vehicle, the more likely you are to experience a failure. by 'fixes' i mean that triple hose clamp solution, fan solution etc...

would it have been cheaper for you go to the pick a part and grab the integra stuff on the cheap?

occupant

I'm going to say this once.

You spent $1700 for a 1994 Civic.

You spent $46 for a radiator.

Can you please, for the love of Colin McRae and all that is holy, get a paintbrush and a can of WD-40 and CLEAN YOUR FUCKING ENGINE BAY? SHIT IS NASTY!!!

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant View Post
I'm going to say this once.

You spent $1700 for a 1994 Civic.

You spent $46 for a radiator.

Can you please, for the love of Colin McRae and all that is holy, get a paintbrush and a can of WD-40 and CLEAN YOUR FUCKING ENGINE BAY? SHIT IS NASTY!!!

sure one of these days

uRizen

Is that radiator properly sized? The one in my wife's '96 Civic is half that size with the AC condenser filling the right side of the front section.

Open timing cover too, eh? Brave man, hope nothing ever falls under the cover and you have a dead steady hand filling your oil.