General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Are you aware of what $1200 can buy in terms of performance rather than being wasted on a radio, toerag?

I am aware. I however like my fuel efficiency, and while my car is slow as balls, in terms of handling it keeps up with the best.

That being said, I'm at a point in my life where reliable and efficient a-b transportation is all I need... but being an enthusiast I couldn't do with any Corollas or Civics.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
EQ on great drivers = (IMO since you are changing the frequency response of a speaker tuned for a specific sound. If you don't like the non-eq'd driver switch to something else that fits your preferences)

EQ on crappy drivers = if done correctly (The drivers are already crap you might as well try to get them closer to your preferences)

This is a decent summation, but EQ also strains your amp (+4 dB here and +3dB there doesn't come free) and does nothing to the actual sound quality or imaging - just makes response more even (if you do a good job).

Also adjusting music to "your prefferences" is technically wrong. You should adjust it to make up for your system's inadequacies and to reflect whatever was recorded at the studio accurately. This way everything will sound at it's best.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Headphones while driving is both illegal and a bad idea

Bad idea definitely, had no idea it was illegal.

Snaps

Quote:
This is a decent summation, but EQ also strains your amp (+4 dB here and +3dB there doesn't come free) and does nothing to the actual sound quality or imaging - just makes response more even (if you do a good job).

Also adjusting music to "your prefferences" is technically wrong. You should adjust it to make up for your system's inadequacies and to reflect whatever was recorded at the studio accurately. This way everything will sound at it's best.

You are right, I tried to simplify it too much. But (trying not to generalize here) those that are not audio enthusiasts tend to lean toward a more "colored" sound apposed to neutrality. Good recordings are more on the neutral side therefore many may find it dull and not appealing. I prefer a strong midrange and a large soundstage (or imaging). Although from what I have seen most people tend to lean toward the bottom end wanting more sub bass and mid bass which IMO muddies everything up. Highs and lows are easy to make. To impress me the midrange must come out and grab me!

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

So what do you suggest, I try a band EQ since that is the simplest and cheapest method?

Got any suggestions of where and which to get?

Last edited by Lurker; 10-06-2011 at 07:46 AM..

[H]ard|On

I think you should stick to your plan and not try to squeeze water from a stone.

First of all it would help if we knew what's in there - any details on the OEM set up: Size, brand, cone/tweeter material?

pepperochini

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z...961353&sr=1-47

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

i was looking at these units for myself... how do they compare with that kenwood up there?

Last edited by pepperochini; 10-06-2011 at 10:38 PM..

Lurker

All I can say is I dont like pioneers navigation, its good but Garmin is better.

d114

Why can't you save the money and get the new car now instead?

That way you can upgrade the system in a car you plan to keep for 3 years.

Lurker

I few reasons but the biggest is - I live in an area I thought was car friendly, instead everyone is taking turns messing up my cars. I try not to care or dismiss it so I dont upset myself, but every new thing gets me every time. If all goes well in the upcoming year we might move to a better place with at least a driveway so I don't have to street park and can consider a new car.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperochini View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z...961353&sr=1-47

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

i was looking at these units for myself... how do they compare with that kenwood up there?

They are what Kenwood set out to match (and did a good job) so you decide

If I was getting a new HU and didn't care about money this would be it.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I few reasons but the biggest is - I live in an area I thought was car friendly, instead everyone is taking turns messing up my cars. I try not to care or dismiss it so I dont upset myself, but every new thing gets me every time. If all goes well in the upcoming year we might move to a better place with at least a driveway so I don't have to street park and can consider a new car.

Stop being a dick to the local kids! lol what's going on?

Jehannum

Quote:

So stop throwing good money after bad on a 5 year old death trap, and move!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

d114

Quote:

You really need to sell that piece of turd and get yourself an econoline E350. people don't mess with those. Plus it has enough space inside that you can set up your own anechoic chamber and obtain your 'perfect' soundfield.

Actually being inside a chamber is one of the freakiest things... there's no echo, reverberation etc... its scary, especially when you close your eyes or turn off the light.

Lurker

Quote:
Stop being a dick to the local kids! lol what's going on?

There are no kids. The people are just assholes. Its a street that is 99% reformist jews. They park their jew canoes any fucking way they want and 9 times out of 10 on two spaces or into spaces where there is clearly not enough room to fit without damaging the other car. I had that happen several time, and once I cought the rabbi across the street just as he got out of the car. Suffice to say he doesnt come on my side of the street anymore.

Aside from parallel parking , as you remember someone backed out of their driveway right into my miata. Then most recently someone backed into my 3, SOMEHOW, right between the passenger and drivers door. Could have been a low trailer or something, who knows. My wifes car is a whole different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
So stop throwing good money after bad on a 5 year old death trap, and move!

What do you think I'm trying to do? You think I enjoy living under someone else rules and having to deal with other peoples ? I give it one more year and we are looking for a new place. Maybe not to buy, but rent a house or an apartment in a gated community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
You really need to sell that piece of turd and get yourself an econoline E350. people don't mess with those. Plus it has enough space inside that you can set up your own anechoic chamber and obtain your 'perfect' soundfield.

Actually being inside a chamber is one of the freakiest things... there's no echo, reverberation etc... its scary, especially when you close your eyes or turn off the light.

You aren't entirely wrong. While impractical as a daily commuter, I would love to see someone park like an ass around an E350. This is also the reason people buy SUV's around here. Higher than most cars, and when protected with cow catchers on the front and back no one parks around them.

Last edited by Lurker; 10-08-2011 at 10:10 AM..