General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Scatman

Mazda to cease rotary engine production... no more wankels

I bet many here have heard of this already but if not...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...3RL_story.html

Quote:
Mazda Motor Corp. said Friday that the latest edition of the Mazda RX-8 will go on sale Nov. 24, targeting sales of 1,000 vehicles, but will end production in June 2012.

Mazda spokeswoman Michiko Terashima said research and development on the rotary engine will continue, leaving open the possibility that it could make a comeback. But production is now not making sense when considering the costs of meeting safety and emissions standards for new vehicles, she said.
X Evo
X RX series
_ what's next on the chopping block, in the name of going green?

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

everything gas powered?

Scatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
everything gas powered?
There's a rumor they're working on an upcoming SkyActiv version. Dunno really..

edit: derp

face over the Internet."

uRizen

Bummer. I had fun with my Rx-7 but I don't think I'd buy a future rotary car for the engine alone. I guess rumors of an upcoming 4th generation Rx-7 are busted.

Scatman

Found this on Reddit:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-co...echnology.html

Quote:
A message was apparently sent into the twitosphere by a Mazda PR rep. in Japan – in his native Japanese language – that translated roughly into claiming a “new model with a next-generation rotary engine” was currently under development, according to JCARBLOG.
There's still hope..

face over the Internet."

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

New ones were same as the old ones, except since there was no turbo version they didn't break as fast.

Thermo1223

I'll say it again...

They improve NVH and make it a genset only device figuring out all the EPA bs and it would be a hell of a lot better than any other engine in a hybrid.

Silky smooth and quiet.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
I'll say it again...

They improve NVH and make it a genset only device figuring out all the EPA bs and it would be a hell of a lot better than any other engine in a hybrid.

Silky smooth and quiet.

And the part where it won't start if you "shut it down too fast" And the oil guzzling problems inherent to the design you call "EPA bs" and dozens of other issues

For a hybrid a small TDI or GDI is hard to beat for efficiency. Low RPM, good torque - not something the wankels do well even overlooking all their other problems

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
And the part where it won't start if you "shut it down too fast" And the oil guzzling problems inherent to the design you call "EPA bs" and dozens of other issues

For a hybrid a small TDI or GDI is hard to beat for efficiency. Low RPM, good torque - not something the wankels do well even overlooking all their other problems

haven't seen the shutdown issue in the 5 months I've owned.

uRizen

For what it's worth I only had a major flooding issue once on my '87 Rx-7. I moved it from the garage to the driveway and it was flooded out when I tried to start it to move it back. That fuel cut-off switch I installed six years prior finally paid off.

solareon

Quote:

If it's a hybrid it won't fire up the engine for short moves. Replace the crankcase oil burning setup with a two stroke container and boom problem solved.
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(

Thermo1223

Quote:

Audi figured it out enough to throw it in a concept ala the A1 e-tron.

With a 3.2 gal tank it could do another 124mi...so 39 MPG. I don't think that's too bad.

So ya EPA bs....hell an engine that small could probably get away with air cooling.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareon View Post
Replace the crankcase oil burning setup with a two stroke container and boom problem solved.

I have no idea how that would fix the premise of oil getting past a spinning triangle but you ought to e-mail Mazda about it

Maybe they'll give you a free Miata or something for this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Audi figured it out enough to throw it in a concept ala the A1 e-tron.

With a 3.2 gal tank it could do another 124mi...so 39 MPG. I don't think that's too bad.

So ya EPA bs....hell an engine that small could probably get away with air cooling.

I'd say that's why they canned it Chevy Volt gets what, 35 mpg on gas mode, 95 on electric and everything in between for mixed driving.

uRizen

Quote:
I have no idea how that would fix the premise of oil getting past a spinning triangle but you ought to e-mail Mazda about it

Maybe they'll give you a free Miata or something for this....

Rotary owners have been doing this for quite awhile. Block off the factory oil injection system (or leave it in place and lower the premix), add TCW3 compliant two-stroke oil into your tank when you fill. Provides cleaner, more consistent lubrication over oil injection at the cost of fouling plugs quicker and smelling a bit worse... unless you get the Pennzoil synthetic blend that smells like Playdough.

The fancier option is to grab one of the rotary aviation adapters that deliver the oil from a separate reservoir through the stock oil injectors.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRizen View Post
Rotary owners have been doing this for quite awhile. Block off the factory oil injection system (or leave it in place and lower the premix), add TCW3 compliant two-stroke oil into your tank when you fill. Provides cleaner, more consistent lubrication over oil injection at the cost of fouling plugs quicker and smelling a bit worse... unless you get the Pennzoil synthetic blend that smells like Playdough.

The fancier option is to grab one of the rotary aviation adapters that deliver the oil from a separate reservoir through the stock oil injectors.

Ah I get it, well sounds like you're burning oil one way or the other. Not good for emissions, and definitely not good for your regular joe and jenn:

"huh I gotta add what to where???" ---> new engine time