Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
what engine did you swap in

Gen 3 JDM 3SGTE

never sold in america so they don't have the same smog bits required in the peoples republik of california

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Gen 1/2 were though

Doesn't seem that hard to lie or bolt some extra shit over

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

EGR needs special holes drilled into the head

I mean all of this paranoia is predicated on a cop actually knowing that the engine is missing smog parts... I think the rats nest of hoses in my engine bay will perplex an average cop as much as it does me

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

swap a 2gr-fe in there

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post

I mean all of this paranoia is predicated on a cop actually knowing that the engine is missing smog parts... I think the rats nest of hoses in my engine bay will perplex an average cop as much as it does me

Isn't that what California has those referees for? The cops think you might not be complying with the smog rules, so they make you go and get it looked at by an expert?

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
swap a 2gr-fe in there

That's not smog legal in California either unless you get one out of a Lotus Evora.

The 2GR-FE, which is ubiquitous in all the Toyota sedans and SUVs, is not offered in any of them with a manual transmission. Mercifully, it bolts right up to the stock MR2 manual transaxle, but because that's not the transmission it comes with, it's apparently not allowed in California, even if you can convince the ECU to not pitch a fit about it.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:

If it looks OEM they won't know there is/isn't an EGR. At some point cars stopped having them and that's too much even for some smog techs, so yeah I doubt there's going to be trouble

They DID sell 3sgte here, also in alltracs, you can always claim that's what it is (i dont know what your purchase papers say)

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Isn't that what California has those referees for? The cops think you might not be complying with the smog rules, so they make you go and get it looked at by an expert?

It's best to avoid the experts, they know what they're doing... they'd probably realize he has no egr for example

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
That's not smog legal in California either unless you get one out of a Lotus Evora.

The 2GR-FE, which is ubiquitous in all the Toyota sedans and SUVs, is not offered in any of them with a manual transmission. Mercifully, it bolts right up to the stock MR2 manual transaxle, but because that's not the transmission it comes with, it's apparently not allowed in California, even if you can convince the ECU to not pitch a fit about it.

Anything goes as long as smog equipment is intact and the motor is newer than the chassis.. OBD1 so standalone is okay

I dont know much about the 2gr i have heard that it is very costly

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
If it looks OEM they won't know there is/isn't an EGR. At some point cars stopped having them and that's too much even for some smog techs, so yeah I doubt there's going to be trouble

They DID sell 3sgte here, also in alltracs, you can always claim that's what it is (i dont know what your purchase papers say)
Frankly, the cop can probably tell just by sniffing the exhaust with his nose that something about Ghettoraid's setup is not kosher. The smell of a catless, turbocharged car's exhaust is pretty easy to recognize, and I'd imagine cops in California see this all the time.

Furthermore, there's supposed to be a diagram of all the vacuum lines on the inside of the engine lid. The Gen3's vacuum lines aren't the same as the Gen2 3S-GTE, or the 5S-FE this car was probably born with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the diagram doesn't match what's installed.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Frankly, the cop can probably tell just by sniffing the exhaust with his nose that something about Ghettoraid's setup is not kosher. The smell of a catless, turbocharged car's exhaust is pretty easy to recognize, and I'd imagine cops in California see this all the time.

Furthermore, there's supposed to be a diagram of all the vacuum lines on the inside of the engine lid. The Gen3's vacuum lines aren't the same as the Gen2 3S-GTE, or the 5S-FE this car was probably born with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the diagram doesn't match what's installed.

Oh yea if he has no cats, it's game over. They u a mirror to look, and iirc it's a $2000 fine

I can smell cars with no cats from 2 cars back. Saw an el camino today at my university Smelled like a 5.7 liter lawnmower

RazorWind

Quote:
Anything goes as long as smog equipment is intact and the motor is newer than the chassis.. OBD1 so standalone is okay

I dont know much about the 2gr i have heard that it is very costly

Supposedly about $10K if you just buy all the parts the easy way. In your case, you'd probably also have to pay for labor to have it done; I'm guessing a project of that scale is not something you could complete on your own.

Anyway, there's talk about what it takes to make a 2GR legal in California in the v6 section of MR2OC. It looked... not worth it.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

the car has a standard jdm cat on it, doesnt smell too badly

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

I thought you had a cat, good

Unless it's clogged and ancient it really doesn't choke up the car too bad anyway.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

BORKED

extremely unsatisfied with how these videos turned out... Doing this in a tunnel was a bad choice.