General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

help a noob build an M1

Yes it's part of this thread but the topic is different enough so I'm posting a new thread.

So rather then buy a rifle I think I'd get more enjoyment if I built my own. Since this would be my first encounter with a rifle in pieces, I think something simple, well documented, and relatively inexpensive is in order. Such as an M1 carbine or garand.

first it seems that there is more documentation available for the m1 garand. Such as the Complete Assembly Guide

and this step by step rebuild page

so here's a few questions before I get started.

first: .270, .308, or .30-.06?

next: am I looking for trouble? any suggestions from people that have done this before?

last: If you're in CA are there any CA-based online stores that you would recommend?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Building a Garand (Or a Carbine, for that matter) shouldn't be that difficult, so long as you purchase a barreled receiver (Attaching a barrel on a rifle other than something like a 10/22 or AR-15 is tricky business that requires machining tools) and be sure to headspace the rifle before firing it.

Ammo choice is tricky, but I'd reccomend .30-06 over the other two, and .270 over .308. The skyrocketing price of .308 is something you should try to avoid, especially if you may resell what you build one day...I bought a .308 Garand a few years ago for around $900 when most went for that or more, and they're barely fetching $600 on Gunbroker right now.

I don't think you're looking for trouble. You appreciate the finer points of the rifle, and can inspect it more thoroughly from the start by building it yourself. Of course, buying it complete and just learning to take it down will get you the same results (which I did), but to each his own.

Don't know about CA, but typically Fulton Armory has good prices on rifle parts, and a wide selection as well. I got some M1 Carbine parts off there for a project I'm doing a few months ago.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

Thanks. i'm going to give them a call on Monday and order that assembly book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Building a Garand (Or a Carbine, for that matter) shouldn't be that difficult, so long as you purchase a barreled receiver (Attaching a barrel on a rifle other than something like a 10/22 or AR-15 is tricky business that requires machining tools) and be sure to headspace the rifle before firing it.

Ammo choice is tricky, but I'd reccomend .30-06 over the other two, and .270 over .308. The skyrocketing price of .308 is something you should try to avoid, especially if you may resell what you build one day...I bought a .308 Garand a few years ago for around $900 when most went for that or more, and they're barely fetching $600 on Gunbroker right now.

I don't think you're looking for trouble. You appreciate the finer points of the rifle, and can inspect it more thoroughly from the start by building it yourself. Of course, buying it complete and just learning to take it down will get you the same results (which I did), but to each his own.

Don't know about CA, but typically Fulton Armory has good prices on rifle parts, and a wide selection as well. I got some M1 Carbine parts off there for a project I'm doing a few months ago.

po89mm

if your going to build up a garand use ONLY a real deal gi reciever to base your build on.
They are FAAAAAAAAAR stronger than the "new" manufactured ones made by springfield armory or century.

As far as the caliber well to be honest id narrow it down to either 308 or 30-06, prices and performance between the 2 in regards to the garand are gonna be soo close its really a matter of what you like as opposed to what works better.

243 in a garand? sounds cool but still say

course you could always go to a local rufle club,rent a garand and just shoot a high power match.
then you could buy everything direct from cmp.