General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[function]
[M]unificent

Mail delivery in Outlook2k3

I just got set up finally with a vpn so I can remotely connect to my company's exchange server back in the states. I got that finished last night and got all my mail from the server.

What I'd like to do is set up two more e-mail accounts within outlook, both pop3, gmail and my local isp mailbox, so I can use just one client for my all my accounts. What I don't want though is all my mail delivered to one data file, i.e the one I created for my work mail.

Is there a way to do this like in Thunderbird where you can choose the delivery location for each individual account? From what I see you can only deliver mail to one data file. Possible?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dan

AFAIK the only way to do it is different profiles

I believe you can sort it into folders but still in the same data file

Psyduck

Yes you can make a rule to move it into a different PST. The rule option in particular is "through the specified account".

Skywing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck
Yes you can make a rule to move it into a different PST. The rule option in particular is "through the specified account".

through the specified account just means which mail account the rule will be effecting, all the mail will still end up in the same PST file. i think if you go to File-> New-> Outlook Data File, and make a data file for each account, then open each PST so its on the left menu, just create a foler in each PST for the new mail to go to, then create rules for each account to direct the mail to go to the specified folder. keep in mind, ive never done this so i may be wrong, just going with what i know from working with it for many many years

Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywing
through the specified account just means which mail account the rule will be effecting, all the mail will still end up in the same PST file. i think if you go to File-> New-> Outlook Data File, and make a data file for each account, then open each PST so its on the left menu, just create a foler in each PST for the new mail to go to, then create rules for each account to direct the mail to go to the specified folder. keep in mind, ive never done this so i may be wrong, just going with what i know from working with it for many many years

Yer thanks for undermining the exact same answer.

Toast

Quote:

Quote:
Yes you can make a rule to move it into a different PST

This answer assumes the person knows how to make a new PST....

Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phire
This answer assumes the person knows how to make a new PST....

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the elaboration. Although it's evident from the initial post that the user already has the different datafiles, but that's not relevant.

Quote:
...make a rule to move it into a different PST...

Quote:
...all the mail will still end up in the same PST file...

Yer. It's nothing personal but rewording a sentence doesn't make the previous one incorrect.

Skywing

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the elaboration. Although it's evident from the initial post that the user already has the different datafiles, but that's not relevant.

Yer. It's nothing personal but rewording a sentence doesn't make the previous one incorrect.

he didnt say anywhere that he already had seperate PST files made, your reply simply said "yes, you can, use the "through the specificed account" option

Psyduck

Quote:
he didnt say anywhere that he already had seperate PST files made, your reply simply said "yes, you can, use the "through the specificed account" option

Stop breaking my paragraph down, removing the first sentence and adding the word "using". That's clearly not what I wrote.

If you want to tow that line then you forgot to tell him how to install Office, Windows, build the PC, manufacture the electronics and create the heavens and the universe. Just because an answer gets straight the point and makes assumptions from text already written, doesn't mean that it's wrong. I'm not here to draw a fucking diagram.

In fact your answer doesn't tell him what rule option to use, you just say "then create rules for each account to direct the mail to go to the specified folder". Yer? Using what options? It's clearly can't be by "using" the option I posted, because that shoves mail straight in to one PST, doesn't it?; because it's actually possible to create a rule that has a condition but absolutely fuck-all actions?

Did you even attempt the solution? Or did you just pull on your vast "years" of experience and assume that every answer but your own is false?

Sorry to be an asshat, but I've had a bad day from beginning to end.

Skywing

Quote:
Stop breaking my paragraph down, removing the first sentence and adding the word "using". That's clearly not what I wrote.

paragraph?

Quote:

seems like a one line response.

Quote:
In fact your answer doesn't tell him what rule option to use, you just say "then create rules for each account to direct the mail to go to the specified folder". Yer? Using what options? It's clearly can't be by "using" the option I posted, because that shoves mail straight in to one PST, doesn't it?; because it's actually possible to create a rule that has a condition but absolutely fuck-all actions?
The rule wizard clearly states what each action does, down to the very last word

Quote:
Did you even attempt the solution? Or did you just pull on your vast "years" of experience and assume that every answer but your own is false?
actually yes, here it is in a screenshot. its only for one seperate email account, but its just a matter of creating another PST.

Quote:
Sorry to be an asshat, but I've had a bad day from beginning to end.
no problem, not trying to attack you, just trying to make things a little clearer for the thread starter

[function]
[M]unificent

I'm creating some rules now guys. Thanks for all your help, I'll check back if and when I'm successful