General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Ziggy

Landlord Problems (Toronto)

Im living with two other roommates. We have rented the bottom part of a townhouse. When you walk into our place, you have the kitchen area with sink, fridge, our television (a common area for us). We also have all the routers for the house as well as the water heater.

Now our landlord has a habit of just coming over whenever he wants to. He doesn't even knock, he just unlocks the door and walks right in. We're finally fed up with it and told him (very nicely) that he has to give us 24 hrs notice before he wants to drop in (which is what our lease says he must do). However, he told us that because our front door opens out into the 'common area' that he doesn't have to do this, since we're only renting the rooms from him and not the common area that is on the floor we live in and connected to all our rooms. However it says on our lease that if he wants to enter the 'premises' that he has to give us 24 hours notice. I dont know if this 'premise' pertains to our rooms or the floor/house we have rented.

Now I want a little input on this scenario, because I intend to go back to him and tell him, beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has to give us 24hrs notice, and he doesn't trick me with any of these technicalities anymore. So is what he's saying right now true ?

Can any of you guys give me a few pointers on how to go about this next time.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Saxman924

The question to ask then, who pays for the damage to the "unrented" common area should it happen? Sounds like BS to me.

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something thatís common knowledge. Then I make

It sounds like it is open to interpretation. Does each room have it's own lease?

Or does the lease cover the entire bottom floor and you split the rooms up amongst yourselves?

Because if your lease just covers the rooms, then he can possibly enter the common area as he pleases. It should say in the lease what defines the premises. But generally if they are renting rooms, they can enter the common area.

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
rented the bottom part of a townhouse.

we're only renting the rooms

Thanks

It's A or B. Did you rent the whole bottom or not? What does it say in your agreement?

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something thatís common knowledge. Then I make

you see, if you people are only renting the rooms. He can enter the common area as the superintendent because there is nobody responsible for that area.

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

Briandl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike View Post
you see, if you people are only renting the rooms. He can enter the common area as the superintendent because there is nobody responsible for that area.

As far as I know that's how it works, but the other guy brings up a good point about damage in the common areas, I'm sure it's spelled out in the lease.

RiotingNerd

post up your lease

ive had a fair bit of experience with shitty landlords in ontario so although IANAL im pretty familiar with the landlord/tenant act

if youre renting the common room, he is definitely not allowed to enter without notice except to do emergency repairs. this has nothing to do with the lease, he is required by law to give 24 hours notice before entering.