General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Atma Weapon

I'm a recent college graduate with very limited career opportunities. Should I join t

I guess my situation requires some background info, and I'll try not to make it too long to keep your interest. About halfway through my college career a couple years ago I realized that my degree (Political Science) was completely worthless and that I wanted to do something exciting and unconventional, rather than get some lame 9-5 desk job wasting my life away. I decided I wanted to do military (through Officer Candidate School, NOT enlisting) and/or police.

Fast forward two years, due to the economy both of those career paths have gotten extremely competitive and I ended up taking up a job teaching English in Korea. My experience here so far has not been what I had hoped and although I am thankful to have found any job at all, I will be right back where I left off when I return back to the US in May with a shitty economy and a bleak employment outlook.

I dropped the idea of military/police for awhile but I am considering going through the process again when I return. What concerns me is that I do not at all fit the personality type for your average cop/soldier/marine. I am a very politically liberal, easygoing, and rational person who has never been in a fight or even been in a position to have to defend myself in my entire life, although I love working out and staying in shape. Like most educated people, I am pretty staunchly anti-war (specifically Iraq and Afghanistan) and pro-legalization of drugs, prostitution, etc. and I'm not exactly sure how my mentality would would fit into the armed services. I fear this is something I might end up regretting not doing when I am no longer young and in shape. Should I play it safe and stick with a civilian job or go for the gusto and pack some heat?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

onigami

Quote:
Like most educated people, I am pretty staunchly anti-war
you are not officer material.

XJumper84
Father of the Crate Face, Keeper of the Crate Face

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJumper84 View Post

Yeah, I remember going through that site before I moved to Korea. Pretty much nothing for new college grads without serious work experience.

matt01

i don't know that you can really generalize about officers like that. i would wager that the majority of officers are probably about what you would expect, but surely they aren't all as conservative as you would think. from your post, it sounds like you think all these guys are real knuckle-dragging GOP neanderthals.

Gibonius

You can be liberal and join the military, but I don't see why you're even considering it if you're "anti-war." The military exists to fight wars. If you don't want to get deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq, or some other future combat zone not of your choosing, don't join the military. Don't join the military because you're "young and in-shape" , join because you want to defend your country.

As far as police goes, you have to be willing to enforce the law as it stands without letting your personal viewpoint get in the way. You will have to arrest people for smoking pot, prostitution, and other things you think should not be crimes. That's just part of the job. If you can't do that or if it'll bother you tremendously, don't become a cop.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Weapon View Post
I dropped the idea of military/police for awhile but I am considering going through the process again when I return. What concerns me is that I do not at all fit the personality type for your average cop/soldier/marine. I am a very politically liberal, easygoing, and rational person who has never been in a fight or even been in a position to have to defend myself in my entire life, although I love working out and staying in shape. Like most educated people, I am pretty staunchly anti-war (specifically Iraq and Afghanistan) and pro-legalization of drugs, prostitution, etc. and I'm not exactly sure how my mentality would would fit into the armed services. I fear this is something I might end up regretting not doing when I am no longer young and in shape. Should I play it safe and stick with a civilian job or go for the gusto and pack some heat?

i'm in the AF, been in for over 8 years now, you described about half the people i've known

for you, if you join i'd advise that you just think of it as a job, when you start to think of it as more than just a job then you'd need to start thinking about staying in it for a while

Asa of the Infidel Crew

coalesce

I'm gonna hold back and try not to personally insult you, but like someone else said, you are not officer material. You trying to work in that environment could at worst, cost people lives.

You're also very ignorant for implying only stupid people seek to make war and to deny it will ever be a necessity.

Take your life direction somewhere else please.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
I'm gonna hold back and try not to personally insult you, but like someone else said, you are not officer material. You trying to work in that environment could at worst, cost people lives.

You're also very ignorant for implying only stupid people seek to make war and to deny it will ever be a necessity.

Take your life direction somewhere else please.

just about every soldier and Marine i've met coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan hates war and are anti-war, they understand that it's their job, but they hate it

being anti-war does not mean he'd make a horrible officer
i'm not saying he'll be a great one, but A is not B

Asa of the Infidel Crew

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
just about every soldier and Marine i've met coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan hates war and are anti-war, they understand that it's their job, but they hate it

being anti-war does not mean he'd make a horrible officer
i'm not saying he'll be a great one, but A is not B

i think it had more to do with the fact that the OP implied you have to be stupid to support a war. if you think half of your soldiers are idiots just because they support what the country is doing, you probably won't make a good officer.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

i don't think you'd get along with most cops with your attitude about things, but thats just my opinion. Plus as someone else said, you would have to enforce laws that you don't agree with.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

be a border patrol

Rapier

Can we please get real? He has a degree and he'll probably be an officer working out of some desk. Less than 10% of the armed forces are actual combat troops. Everybody else is in logistics. And most active duty personnel are stationed stateside.

I'm not going to you. You seem like an arrogant punk. "Like most educated people, I am pretty staunchly anti-war" As if intelligence and an anti-war position went hand in hand.

That being said, the military is all about the command structure and camaraderie. If you don't have any problems with following authority (from what you've typed, I think you're a pretty docile person) and have a somewhat social personality, you'll do fine in the armed forces. Being an officer just makes it even better. If you can't find work in the private sector, you could do a lot worse joining the armed forces. Plus after you do your 4-6 year stint, you'll never be unemployed again if come out without any severe psychological issues.

Atma Weapon

I can see how saying "Like most educated people, I am pretty staunchly anti-war" might come off as arrogant, but how many (legitimate) intellectuals do you know of that support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? When I was younger I was much more conservative, but throughout my college years I became more and more liberal with the more knowledge I took in. I'm not opposed to ALL wars, I just believe that a country should not go to war unless it's an absolute necessity, such as the case in WW2, IMO the last war that the U.S. actually needed to be involved in. Up until about a year ago I believed Afghanistan was a worthy cause but now I think it's apparent our military is out getting slaughtered in vain to support of a corrupt puppet regime not at all unlike Vietnam. Would I want to give my life up for it? No, but if I was deployed I would go, obviously anyone who has contemplated joining the military would have have to have weighed the options on this.

I don't think that the military is primarily GOP knuckle-dragging neanderthals (although there are a lot of these types), but like asa mentioned a lot of military people who have come back from Iraq/Afghanistan being very openly against those wars. One of my "professors" (an Army Major) from an ROTC class I took in college started off the class talking about how much the American government completely fucked over Native Americans from the early part of U.S. history until today. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that solid majorities also support legalization of drugs (at least marijuana) and prostitution as well.

As for police, this would probably be a bigger issue, but don't forget about LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) which is made up current and former LEOs against the drug war. Obviously there aspects of any job that one doesn't like doing, and arresting people on drug charges and things of that nature would be one of them if I were to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
be a border patrol

No hablo espanol

Artesial

Personally I say if you actually have passion for politics be a manager for short-term to make a living while trying to move yourself into local politics and for a long term goal aim for county/state/federal politics.