General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

making a workbench

i need plans for a workbench, i've got a benchtop, but i need to pick up lumber for the base

anyone have any plans or pictures of a bench i can steal?

the benchtop i've got is made of 1.75" square strips of hardwood, top is about 7ft long, 3ft deep

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tanstaafl

Quick search through google turned up this http://www.cornerhardware.com/how_to...tools_supplies. You'll have to modify it to make it fit your top, but it gives you an idea on how to start.

With a 7' long bench top you may want a middle support since you've got a laminated top which is fairly heavy I'm guessing. Or you could increase the stringer size under the top to 2x8s.

What's your intended use for the bench? General homeowner stuff?

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl View Post
Quick search through google turned up this http://www.cornerhardware.com/how_to...tools_supplies. You'll have to modify it to make it fit your top, but it gives you an idea on how to start.

With a 7' long bench top you may want a middle support since you've got a laminated top which is fairly heavy I'm guessing. Or you could increase the stringer size under the top to 2x8s.

What's your intended use for the bench? General homeowner stuff?

eh...
i dislike storage underneath as i'll likely be sitting there at the bench working, without that you need more bracing for the front legs

general homeowner, but more automotive

Asa of the Infidel Crew

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

put a vise on it

Xayd

google 'torsion box' that's the most feasible way to build it.

should wind up perfectly flat, plywood so will be stable. just attach the top with trim screws counter sunk into the plywood edges, run the legs all the way through the box to the top and screw through the sides of the box into the legs, and put an apron around the bottom for holding the legs square.

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
eh...
i dislike storage underneath as i'll likely be sitting there at the bench working, without that you need more bracing for the front legs

general homeowner, but more automotive

How much weight are you planning on putting on this? I built a couple of different workbenches that I really like, and the one in my basement might be about right for what you want depending on if you plan on putting a 75lb cylinder head or a 200lb engine block. If anything, it could give you another idea for how to build one. I also built mine with the intention of sitting at it and having my legs be able to be under the bench while I work.

No pics tonight though, I'm going to sleep right after I post this.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

So I took photos of my bench I made. A friend and myself went to Home Depot and just designed and built it there out of what we saw. It works great, but I need to bolt down the vice at some point. Def make it how you want, then add a "top" that can be easily replaced should you mess it up. The hanging stuff is also a ++

Not the best photos, but I figured it would give you some ideas. I was limited in my available space in my garage.

Light I put above. A must have.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
How much weight are you planning on putting on this? I built a couple of different workbenches that I really like, and the one in my basement might be about right for what you want depending on if you plan on putting a 75lb cylinder head or a 200lb engine block. If anything, it could give you another idea for how to build one. I also built mine with the intention of sitting at it and having my legs be able to be under the bench while I work.

No pics tonight though, I'm going to sleep right after I post this.

that's about what i'm lookin for
a couple pics of what you've got goin on would be appreciated

Asa of the Infidel Crew

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
that's about what i'm lookin for
a couple pics of what you've got goin on would be appreciated

I made this shortly after I moved in back in October of '09 (Halloween, actually ) and it's held up to just about everything I've wanted to do. I even just sat on it in the center and bounced a bit and it didn't even creak or wobble...and I'm 225lbs.

If you were going to use it for slamming things around and want to mount a vise, I'd double up the horizontal 2x4's in the front and back (so you'd have something to lag bolt the feet of the vise to) and consider a diagonal support in each corner in the back.

2x4's are plenty strong for something like this, and my workbench that I still have to get from my dad's is also made primarily of them, except the legs, which are 4x4's, but (2) 2x4's screwed together work just as well which is why I used them here.

I also like to think the shelves I have in my basement are pretty awesome and almost indestructible They're also cheaper than buying a similar size pre-made since it's also 2x4's and plywood. I could get some pics of those too if you'd like, but they're full of crap right now

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

i'll take pics of mine - I went with 12x2's instead of plywood becuase they were lower cost and quite a bit stronger - other than that I mostly went like the above with 2x4's and mounted a vice on the corner - very useful

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
I made this shortly after I moved in back in October of '09 (Halloween, actually ) and it's held up to just about everything I've wanted to do. I even just sat on it in the center and bounced a bit and it didn't even creak or wobble...and I'm 225lbs.

If you were going to use it for slamming things around and want to mount a vise, I'd double up the horizontal 2x4's in the front and back (so you'd have something to lag bolt the feet of the vise to) and consider a diagonal support in each corner in the back.

2x4's are plenty strong for something like this, and my workbench that I still have to get from my dad's is also made primarily of them, except the legs, which are 4x4's, but (2) 2x4's screwed together work just as well which is why I used them here.

I also like to think the shelves I have in my basement are pretty awesome and almost indestructible They're also cheaper than buying a similar size pre-made since it's also 2x4's and plywood. I could get some pics of those too if you'd like, but they're full of crap right now

very nice
i have a wood vice that mounts below the workbench, so i'm going to have to modify what you've got goin on there, but i really like that

Asa of the Infidel Crew

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
very nice
i have a wood vice that mounts below the workbench, so i'm going to have to modify what you've got goin on there, but i really like that

Thanks. I like making things that are simple yet sturdy. I may overbuild some things, but if they never break it was worth it. This was just made to use in the basement, so I didn't intend to put a lot of weight on it. It is quite useful though and the only things I would consider adding to it are a backstop like what I have on the bottom shelf so things don't fall off behind it, and a small shelf above the top...but I haven't convinced myself that I need that 2nd shelf which is why it isn't there just yet.

I think I have maybe $35-$45 in lumber in that, based on (12-15) 2" x 4" x 96" @ $1.96 and a sheet of 3/8" plywood at around $10-15. I also used 3" screws and made sure I didn't let them poke out the surface of the adjoining 2x4.

If you have AutoCAD, I'm pretty sure I still have the .dwg if you want the file to modify for your application. It really helps with planning for me....although the general dimensions of 72" wide by 32" deep by 36" high (not including the 3/8" plywood, and the bottom shelf being 14" deep, should be all you need.

Also, notice that the bottom shelf also ties the front legs so they don't "walk" side-to-side or front to back. Pre-drill your holes too

godofcheese

If you have a vice, and a grinder, and other things to mount to your workbench, I suggest you mount them to a peice of plywood. Have the plywood extend out from the base of the units and use that as a mounting bracket you have on your bench. This will allow you to swap them out when you want and not take up a ton of room on the workbench.

Here is a crappy paint image of the bracket. You might have to double up on the plywood in order to get enough room to countersink the mounting bolts.

I also suggest that you top the workbench with metal. There is a how-to on the family handyman website. I know you like to work on car stuff, and this will allow you to keep the workbench clean of grease and other stuff.

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

I wish I would've kept the drawings I made for my bench.

It looks like MasterofNones
but the table top is recessed 3/4" plywood, with a 2X6 surround. The nice thing is that the plywood is snug enough for working on, and easily replaceable if it wears out for some reason.

Very sturdy table, cost abut $70 in materials IIRC, I think it will hold up for a century or so.

I'll post a few pictures in a bit.

edit:
Kind of a mess in my garage right now...
Underside

entire bench

California Pizza Chicken

Last edited by zoopnazi; 10-28-2010 at 09:02 PM..

asmrkt

It looks like MasterofNones