General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Briandl79

You won't qualify with 10K in savings, that's why they ask for copies of your bank statements.

So unless you want to hide 10K dollars (Now we're talking about a moral dilemma, lol.), just forget about it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Slacker

Based on income I qualify for food stamps, but there's no way in hell I'd take them. I can support my family just fine on my income (while saving for retirement and paying off student loans) I believe something like 1 in 8 Americans receives food stamps now so I guess the moral dilemma doesn't matter for most. You have savings for exactly this sort of situation, use it and find a job, even if it's a crappy one.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl79 View Post
You won't qualify with 10K in savings, that's why they ask for copies of your bank statements.

So unless you want to hide 10K dollars (Now we're talking about a moral dilemma, lol.), just forget about it.

Turn it into a bunch of money orders made out to yourself... done

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Turn it into a bunch of money orders made out to yourself... done

and people wonder why the system is so fucked up with fraud, deceit, and deficit

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
and people wonder why the system is so fucked up with fraud, deceit, and deficit

If you know how its done then you can work on a solution to prevent it.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
If you know how its done then you can work on a solution to prevent it.

yea... if you have to find a way to "prevent getting caught" then it's and you shouldn't be doing it.

Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
yea... if you have to find a way to "prevent getting caught" then it's and you shouldn't be doing it.

I completely agree with you.

SupermanwOOt

Re: Foodstamps

The fact that you are posting on here, genuinely asking for advice about the issue tells me that you truly need some assistance.

I think you should file for them and see what happens. If you get them, that's great and hopefully you will still try to find a job and not require them anymore.

What not to do:
1) spend them on filet mignon, shrimp, and lobster tails. My father was a supermarket manager and so many times he saw people do this with food stamps and then come to him asking for a refund saying they didn't taste good. Meanwhile families like his could only afford these things once a month on a reasonable salary

2) use your $10k cash. I can't believe the people here are saying you don't need help bc you have 10k in the bank. Sure its not an emergency at this point because you saved but 10k goes very quickly these days especially where you're living and once its gone it is too late. Its respectful that you don't want to try and hide your assets from the govt and it is unfortunate that is what a lot of people do.

In the medical field, I see countless patients who have welfare and Medicaid who drive cars nicer than mine and come in with Louis vitton purses (fake or not that's wrong). Driving an escalade and receiving welfare is a huge problem and nothing says "im playing uncle Sam" like putting 22" rims on it. I report these patients occasionally for fraud (if they check out then oh well but taxpayers deserve the investigation). I've had a few that came back the next visit and said their coverage had been revoked. This means I don't get paid for seeing them most of the time but morally it is worth it. One in particular was running 3 different businesses operating primarily on cash to launder money. I wont talk about a Pt's health but money laundering is illegal and I have an obligation to report suspicion of such. Don't be like that.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
honestly, get the food stamps and forget the moral dilemma... they're just like unemployment benefits in my opinion, in that you support them through various taxes while you work, so that you have something to fall back on when you stop working or suffer reduced income

ask anyone who has ever worked in a supermarket, and you'll get countless stories of blatant abuse of the system... you should not at all consider your situation to be taking advantage of the system

yup, if you've paid into the system and you're going to be a contributing member of society and you do qualify, you should take them. I've seen the same kind of absurd/disgusting abuses spoken about here... meat is a common scam. another one I saw in MI was getting soda pop (not sure which support program it was under- pretty sure it was stamps) where two skanks bought a full sized cart filled with store brand six packs, and opening them up and just upending them in the next cart over in the parking lot to drain them out, so they could turn around and return all the cans for the deposit.

best part was they were opening the can tabs with their teeth so they wouldn't ruin their nails.

anyway, I know you're not asking if you should, just if you could... but I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents.

also... what's with your better half doing Americorps? Is she like just this || far from a felony or something? Was it this or junior college?

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

2[H]4U

What do you guys eat that costs $5 a day between the two of you?

jkoebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
also... what's with your better half doing Americorps? Is she like just this || far from a felony or something? Was it this or junior college?

Ouch. Now, I know very little about the program, but my knee-jerk reaction is that maybe she wanted to do some good in the world, the same reason people volunteer with the Peace Corps but in America?

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoebel View Post
Ouch. Now, I know very little about the program, but my knee-jerk reaction is that maybe she wanted to do some good in the world, the same reason people volunteer with the Peace Corps but in America?

<3 hope the jibe was taken in the spirit it was intended. (although I would have posted the same thing if the peace corps were mentioned - I'm with you in thinking they are probably similar )

but yeah, take my post as a little bit jaded/selfish/cynical... but on the other hand ... I'd be willing to bet there's some codependency or something else going on if we scratched her lottery ticket... that's all. not that he asked us to criticize the better half's motives for doing some good. (or thinking good could be done here.) There's a reason the criminal justice department on the same hall way, same floor and same building was an ironic juxtaposition with the social work department that was it's neighbor at my old school.

anyway, I guess what I'm stumbling towards is that maybe I should go elsewhere and create a discussion thread on the premise that well intentioned help... without the theory or research to point it in the right direction could be frustrating and ineffective. not that that would even necessarily apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
What do you guys eat that costs $5 a day between the two of you?

muscle milk

(am I thinking of the right guy's gimmick?)

anyway to try to redirect this back on topic-

if I understand the op's point - it's to ask if anyone here has enough experience to tell him, based on what he's provided, does it look like he might qualify. and it sounds like the answer is maybe, but he should fill out the paperwork and see.

and to get to an underlying dynamic you've referenced in your OP, that you've been encouraged, as you've emphasized, to seek the assistance. this could be for several reasons. we can't rule out that since you are contributing, these people want to help, and why should you be unnecessarily put out, to help others.

on the other hand, we should also entertain other possibilities. for example- consider this; how do you know a business is successful? does it make money. how do you know a government agency or a non-profit is successful? does it expand or get bigger. while for most of it's staffers, this is probably not a conscious factor; you shouldn't miss the fact that they have a vested interest in the dependency of others upon its program. the more people that are reached by its service, the more the continued existence of the organization and staffer's positions is/are justified.

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Last edited by RedEyes; 12-01-2010 at 03:22 PM..