General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Ajchez

Even though I'm a guy I'll offer this:

The morning after pill can and probably will make you sick. Physically ill and unable to eat for the day. Make sure you plan for this. Do not be the retards my gf and I were

Birth control is very age limited. Due to risks of cancer some doctors will not re-fill your prescription after the age of 35. This probably doesn't affect anyone, but it is something to think about if you're in it for the long run.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajchez
Even though I'm a guy I'll offer this:

The morning after pill can and probably will make you sick. Physically ill and unable to eat for the day. Make sure you plan for this. Do not be the retards my gf and I were

Birth control is very age limited. Due to risks of cancer some doctors will not re-fill your prescription after the age of 35. This probably doesn't affect anyone, but it is something to think about if you're in it for the long run.

Not always true on the morning after pill stuff. Used to be true all the time, though. The old method of emergency contraception was to take a high dose of regular birth control pills. Most people use combination pills (progestin and estrogen), and the high dose of both makes most people sick.

There are now pills on the market that are specifically for emergency contraception. Plan B is the most common - it is two high-dose pills of progestin, and it doesn't make people sick (or at least rarely).

Some places still prescribe the high dose of regular pills; if this is the case, ask for a prescription of anti-nausea medication.

Indiglo75

Now, can anyone post the stats on effectiveness of combinations of contraceptives? Or the best combination choices?

Also, Im not sure if it counts as an independant contraceptive, but what about that spermicidal lube Ive heard about? Like the spermicidal stuff on condoms, but just comes in a tube or something similar and can be rubbed on/used as lube/just put into vagina.

ShoelessOne

btw, i just wanted to point out (i answered my own question) that the male birth control pill should be out in 2005. Apparently, it is gonna be 15-20 bucks a month... I wonder how insurance would cover that... or if it could be had from one of those anti pregnancy clinics.

anyway, apparently it has been 100% effective thus far. thats not bad. however, it is hormone treatment, which personally makes me a LITTLE uncomfortable. but, as of now, all studies have been (as far as i can hear) 100% effective. the worst side effects include: a little weight gain, ah... thats all i have seen.

there is a final study going on right now, so we'll see what happens after that .

****I AM ACTUALLY shoelessone****
b87f7c8231bcef050989f5aa358fc6c0

magik20

Loose Cannon u did a really good job on research

gj on this thread

Bone Closet Moderator
daria703 > all of you

*splort*

by request

Loose Cannon

Thanks for your (mostly) kind words of support. I've just made a few corrections and will be adding some links shortly.

"wow.. a 22k thread that doesnt suck" - jewbloob

Chief [M]icrosoft Hater of Gen[M]ay [M]ac Club.

23b1270ade80a399f61ee8f9b42a87dc

Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets
maybe as time goes on links detailing each option would be added for lazy bastards like myself.

Websites added. PM me if you find a broken link.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; 11-03-2004 at 02:51 AM..

f00ker's Wife
SlickChicFallen
... and the LORD struck him with an incureable disease of the bowels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessOne
btw, i just wanted to point out (i answered my own question) that the male birth control pill should be out in 2005. Apparently, it is gonna be 15-20 bucks a month... I wonder how insurance would cover that... or if it could be had from one of those anti pregnancy clinics.

anyway, apparently it has been 100% effective thus far. thats not bad. however, it is hormone treatment, which personally makes me a LITTLE uncomfortable. but, as of now, all studies have been (as far as i can hear) 100% effective. the worst side effects include: a little weight gain, ah... thats all i have seen.

there is a final study going on right now, so we'll see what happens after that .

The REAL question is... how does it work? I know how female birth control works (prevent ovulation/trick the system, etc etc etc), but what would male birth control do? Kill the sperm before they can ejaculate or what? I really want to know

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickChicFallen
The REAL question is... how does it work? I know how female birth control works (prevent ovulation/trick the system, etc etc etc), but what would male birth control do? Kill the sperm before they can ejaculate or what? I really want to know

I'm not sure if this is what is currently in testing, but this is one method that I've heard research on: Males would basically take birth control pills. Not sure if progesterone or estrogen is the important hormone, but one of them inhibits sperm production in the testes. The downside is that this also halts testosterone production, so that has to be supplemented either through a shot or implants (like Norplant).

I'm sure the delivery methods may vary but that is the general idea.

Akhilez
'Cause I'm geeked up...geeked up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna
I'm not sure if this is what is currently in testing, but this is one method that I've heard research on: Males would basically take birth control pills. Not sure if progesterone or estrogen is the important hormone, but one of them inhibits sperm production in the testes. The downside is that this also halts testosterone production, so that has to be supplemented either through a shot or implants (like Norplant).

I'm sure the delivery methods may vary but that is the general idea.

limit testosterone? hmmmm.....maight make guys less horny, but ya never know

great thread though, currently my g/f uses the ring, very good, I cant tell its there during sext he only side effects she has though is that she use to get hungry all the time, but I think her body is finally leveling off, she doesnt get hungry like that much more often, and it made her gain some weight, thats about it though

Loose Cannon

As Arjuna says, a combination of regular oestrogen and (less often) periodic testosterone reduces sperm production to virtually zero, with (it is claimed) no loss of libido. Sperm production in clinical tests generally returned to normal within three months of stopping treatment.

Some links:

A brief statement from Organon, the company leading the search for a male contraceptive.

Some news articles about the possibility of male contraception
Slate

AskMen.com

Some Seattle newspaper's site

Bupa UK

f00ker's Wife
SlickChicFallen
... and the LORD struck him with an incureable disease of the bowels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon

the Seattle Post Intelligencer... lol... Seattle PI...

mrj

Anyone know if ortho evra is available in canada yet?

Pogo

i commend you, great job. the ultimate birth control is kids themselves. live with them for a month, youll learn quick the way to hell