General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ZykLon-B
pwned

[IMG]harty.org/lemonparty.jpg[/IMG]

Norse Bezerker.

Last edited by Vendetta; 12-03-2005 at 10:12 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SDmason
Jeff Goldblum

so the brits use both the l85 and the m16? know if the majority of soldiers prefer one over the other?

244ae5a619b09685d61720b122f68ff8

Blossum
PowderdToastMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish dragoon
That looks surprisingly like the flight deck of the USS Ogden, of which i spent the last 6 months on.

prometheum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYY View Post
Not fighter/interceptor...more like "tanker/photographer/jammer/bomb-dropper".

Yes, the JSF is supposed to replace the charlies eventually. In the next decade, perhaps? Probably not before 2110, but that will be anyone's guess. There's still tons of good C models flying, and as long as the navy doesn't run out of parts, the platform will remain operational. Just look at the old H-3 helo--it still flies today!

Also, it's practically impossible to tell a super hornet from a charlie in the air, unless it rolls over on its side and you can see the LEX (leading edge extensions--the super's lex are fatter, dare I say uglier?). You can't usually see the square intakes unless you're really close to the jet AND you get a front-quarter view. Plus, fuel tanks and pylons tend to mask that view anyway, further adding to the difficulty of discernment.

I'll end this post with this generalization: the older charlie hornets are sexier.

umm you can spot the square intakes a mile away; the superhornet still doesn't have the range to make it a good interceptor or to fly deep interdiction missions. though i think its a much better investment than the f-22 will ever be since it is a more will rounded aircraft and isn't completely built around air superiority.

WickedAngel

They made me put my camera away when I got too close to the Raptors at Tyndall I did get to watch them take off from the end of the runway though.

fuck scottland and fuck dragoons too
scottish dragoon

Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM fuck scottland and fuck dragoons too is offline  

Vertigo13

Commanches are sweet. Too bad they're cancelled.

The-Raven
I Stalk Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo13 View Post

Commanches are sweet. Too bad they're cancelled.

fuck, will they stop cancelling all this new shit we're supposed to be getting?! it's starcraft:ghost all over again.... is blizzard running the DoD?

"ive taken 50 hits of acid and drank 40 beers in the same night" - Icw@ter

"It is not my fault that you guys make very shitty, low value content" - Sanjay

dsilva

Neuclear Explosion.

Black-bird

Mikoyan MiG-35

CharyouTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
fuck, will they stop cancelling all this new shit we're supposed to be getting?! it's starcraft:ghost all over again.... is blizzard running the DoD?

It's actually a "good" thing they canceled it. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember it being something like ~150 Commanches or ~1300 OTHER aircraft (UH-60M, LUH, the Spartan, etc etc). It's simply BETTER to have more/updated aircraft vs a platform that doesn't have a legitimate mission anymore. Of course, it sucks that we put $20 Billion into the program, and it's gone now, but...shit happens.

But that's just me.

153DCI (Blackhawk pilot/Instructor Pilot/Tactical Operations)

"Be polite, be professional, be prepared to kill everyone in the room."

foamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish dragoon View Post

This img reminds me of cs for some reason

anyway heres some sas pics

Sorry about the qual but its hard to find any good ones of them in action for obvious reasons

PiMpY
hmmmmmm whats that smell? *sniffs* ahhh smells like c0cktard. COMING FROM THIS POST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharyouTree View Post
It's actually a "good" thing they canceled it. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember it being something like ~150 Commanches or ~1300 OTHER aircraft (UH-60M, LUH, the Spartan, etc etc). It's simply BETTER to have more/updated aircraft vs a platform that doesn't have a legitimate mission anymore. Of course, it sucks that we put $20 Billion into the program, and it's gone now, but...shit happens.

But that's just me.

as i understand its that the commanche was pretty much useless

yeah sure stealth is great against radar guided AAA but it still had a large IR signature, it was too heavy, it couldn't carry a cannon AND missiles (one or the other!) and it couldn't withstand much if any battle damage (which as you surely know the #1 threat to rotary winged aircraft is still said to be small arms)

Last edited by PiMpY; 08-16-2007 at 11:02 PM..

PiMpY
hmmmmmm whats that smell? *sniffs* ahhh smells like c0cktard. COMING FROM THIS POST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheum View Post
umm you can spot the square intakes a mile away; the superhornet still doesn't have the range to make it a good interceptor or to fly deep interdiction missions. though i think its a much better investment than the f-22 will ever be since it is a more will rounded aircraft and isn't completely built around air superiority.
the F-22 is an extremely capable aircraft -one that while built as an air dominance platform will excel in the air to ground role that the F-117a had (being faster, stealthier, can defend itself, can reach the target quicker, and can loiter longer etc) and can also act as a mini awacs for legacy aircraft and gather intelligence

sure it cant carry the same amount of A2G (or can it? the raptor can be equipped with external pylons) as the super hornet but is that really such a big deal in this day of PGMs?

PiMpY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYY View Post

There's still tons of good C models flying, and as long as the navy doesn't run out of parts, the platform will remain operational.
Spare parts availability doesn't mean dick when you're dealing with aircraft that require ever more disproportionate maintenance hours per flight hour. Sure the C/Ds will stay in service for some time yet but thats not because of spare parts availability its because its going to take a long time to field the number of JSFs the Navy is looking at.

Quote:
Also, it's practically impossible to tell a super hornet from a charlie in the air, unless it rolls over on its side and you can see the LEX (leading edge extensions--the super's lex are fatter, dare I say uglier?). You can't usually see the square intakes unless you're really close to the jet AND you get a front-quarter view.
Are you serious?

Quote:
Plus, fuel tanks and pylons tend to mask that view anyway, further adding to the difficulty of discernment.
And those pylons and stores are uniquely canted outwards.

Last edited by PiMpY; 08-16-2007 at 11:06 PM..

foamy

Some russian hardware the tu-160 which is probally THE best strategic bomber ever made

and the tu95 the fastest turbo prop plane evar