Pierdolcie sie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
He pulled you over for waving to him?

WTF is what im thinking too.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

VulcaN
Show us your tits sweetie

At least here its a ticketable offense, you have to keep both hands on the controls at all times.

ReTECH

Wow, I never heard of that, that really sucks. Not to mention it's a stupid law...
What state?

VulcaN

washington DC

Ignited

Now let's talk cruisers...

As I've stated before, I'm weeks away from purchasing my first motorcycle. At first I really wanted a sport bike, but after much consideration, I just don't think I'm the sport bike type. I want something comfortable that I can take on long trips, and I've always been more attracted to cruisers anyways. I've been looking at the Yamaha V Star 650 Custom. It's got a 645cc, 40 cubic inch engine, which I think is pretty good. Here's a picture for reference.

I really like this bike and I think it'll make a good first cruiser. However, I'm afraid that I'll outgrow it too soon. Three months after buying it, I don't want to be wishing I had something bigger that could keep up on the highway, but I don't want something too big either. But for as cool as it looks and as well-priced as it is, it would be hard to turn down. Can anybody weight in on this?

VulcaN

perhaps a sport-tourer?

ReTECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited
Now let's talk cruisers...

As I've stated before, I'm weeks away from purchasing my first motorcycle. At first I really wanted a sport bike, but after much consideration, I just don't think I'm the sport bike type. I want something comfortable that I can take on long trips, and I've always been more attracted to cruisers anyways. I've been looking at the Yamaha V Star 650 Custom. It's got a 645cc, 40 cubic inch engine, which I think is pretty good. Here's a picture for reference.

IMG]http://img250.echo.cx/img250/8616/05yamahavstarcustom9us.jpg[/IMG

I really like this bike and I think it'll make a good first cruiser. However, I'm afraid that I'll outgrow it too soon. Three months after buying it, I don't want to be wishing I had something bigger that could keep up on the highway, but I don't want something too big either. But for as cool as it looks and as well-priced as it is, it would be hard to turn down. Can anybody weight in on this?
On the low-powered end, it's undeniably possible to get a cruiser that's too wimpy. (*Thinks of Honda Rebel.) However, I don't think the V star will let you down, especially as a new rider. My `80 XJ650 keeps up on the freeway just fine, & can 'beat' 60%+ cars I encounter on the road. This bike will do much better than that. The only catch is where you say you really wanted a sportbike, then switched up... You didn't go into what that was all about.

Vulcan's tip is very good, but AFAIK the sport tourers will cost a fair bit more, & you mention 'well-priced'. Another good option is to get a used cruiser, maybe even a total beater. As a new rider, you have an equal chance on *ALL* types of bike to do body damage by dropping it either parked, moving but not actually riding, or even very low speed accidents. That chance, specifically, is very close to 100%. This is not even accounting for 'real' accidents. With a used bike this will suck, but not nearly as bad as with a shiny new one.

Accident Prone
roommate = :drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTECH
That chance, specifically, is very close to 100%.
i read the stat in an article somewhere.

80% of new riders drop their bike at least once within the first 6 months

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident Prone
i read the stat in an article somewhere.

80% of new riders drop their bike at least once within the first 6 months

Yeap. A buddy of mine dropped nine grand on a mint condition cbr, then dropped it 4 times over the summer and knocked about $1500 of it's value. Dumbass

Passion > Precision

ReTECH

So, do any of us know 6+ month experienced bike people who've never dropped a bike?

Ignited

Quote:
The only catch is where you say you really wanted a sportbike, then switched up... You didn't go into what that was all about.

Over the weekend I rode my friends GSX-R 750 for a few hours. That thing was just fucking crazy, but what I really didn't like was the riding position. Being hunched over the gas tank isn't something I really want. Not that I was totally stretched out across the thing, but that's not really my idea of a comfortable ride. I love sport bikes, but they're just not for me, at least not until I get a couple years of riding experience under my belt.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
So, do any of us know 6+ month experienced bike people who've never dropped a bike?
I do, but that means they never really rode
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
I do, but that means they never really rode

I put 4K miles on my bike, an '89 CBR600F, without wrecking it or dropping it, before I traded up.. I had it at a shop to have the forks looked at because it would bottom out if I hit a bump while braking and they were like "have you actually been riding this bike--there are pieces completely missing from inside the forks!!" I didn't tell them that I'd been scraping pegs on 100+mph sweepers just a few days before.

And I probably had a good 10K miles on my F2 before I did any real damage to it. So it's not likely that a virgin rider will keep his bike virgin, but it IS possible.

CrucialTK

I just got my motorcycle learners permit today. Think I may try to pick up a small cruiser this summer. I can't see myself doing long distances on it, so I'm not worrying about power in the long run. As a point a to b vehicle, it should do fine for me until I can afford a nicer bike

/not remotely considering a sport bike, need to learn first, then speed. Like cars.

Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialTK
I just got my motorcycle learners permit today. Think I may try to pick up a small cruiser this summer. I can't see myself doing long distances on it, so I'm not worrying about power in the long run. As a point a to b vehicle, it should do fine for me until I can afford a nicer bike

/not remotely considering a sport bike, need to learn first, then speed. Like cars.

Have you got your eye on a certain bike yet?