General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jamesey2

I recommend that newbies read this
http://www.linux.org/lessons/index.html

If you're coming from Windows, this makes everything clear. They don't skip anything.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

;o_O

Is there a linux distro that's recommanded for a dead slow P-MMX 200 system? I tried "Damn Small Linux" weights at 50 meg only, it runs fast but as a newbie in Linux I couldn't install anything on it.

I basically wanted it to run Firefox and bittorrent on it. That's it. Any recommandations for such slow system?
-"-"-
O rly?

nextbillgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;o_O
Is there a linux distro that's recommanded for a dead slow P-MMX 200 system? I tried "Damn Small Linux" weights at 50 meg only, it runs fast but as a newbie in Linux I couldn't install anything on it.

I basically wanted it to run Firefox and bittorrent on it. That's it. Any recommandations for such slow system?

Depends on how much RAM you have.

Linux's desktop performance (or any modern OS, for that matter) depends more on how much memory you have than anything else.

Rtfx

Perhaps my experiences with Arch Linux will be helpful to someone. I have used it off and on for about two years now in a desktop role.

Recently I decided to retire Windows entirely in favor of Arch. But to really do that I had to make the decision to relinquish using most of the apps and games from there. Now that everything's set up and I've dealt with hardware issues, I am entirely happy with it. And when Wine can run stuff from WIndows it's a nice bonus!

Arch makes it very easy to customize because of the focus on simplicity, with very few "magic scripts" or "autoconfigures" to reach for; the main problem, of course, is that it has a relatively long and spread out learning curve since you have to understand what's going on each time you encounter a new issue to resolve. But Arch itself never gets in the way on this, and the documentation(what there is of it) is pretty good, so it doesn't feel as frustrating as some other distros I've tried.

The pacman package management system is very apt-like, but it's Not Debian, which gives it a different character. Each repository package stays as cutting edge as the maintainers can manage, for one thing. Unsupported, or "to be accepted" packages are handled through the "AUR" system, which gives you a few more packages in pacman's format(tgz + "pkgbuild" config file). Pacman has *never* given me a hassle with dependencies, other than the obvious "you don't have it/I can't get it" case.

So far, my biggest problem has been with software I have to compile myself. Lots of software expects dependencies in different locations and fixing it varies with the build system, so it can be very annoying.

Edit: A few months later and things have only gotten better software-wise. I've found that Wine can almost always fill in the gaps for me, and sometimes when a piece of crossplatform software is being tricky to compile I can use the win32 binary instead. There was one situation going to kernel 2.6.13 where massive changes left me temporarily hosed with respect to configuration; but since I had another working kernel around I found out what the changes were and got everything fixed up in about an hour.

Last edited by Rtfx; 11-05-2005 at 02:33 PM..

ytzombe
No place better than the Lone Star State!

What about Solaris?

Tekronis

Gah, a hex on all you people with the uninformative replies.
(A hex on me too with this post.)

Post comments elsewhere like dastrike asked, and post info on the OS in question here.
So ytzombe, you be good and post a Solaris info-post for us.

Thanks.

zeos

Zenwalk - (formerly minislack)

Recomended for: all but the noobiest of noobs
Target role: single cd version of slackware 10.2

Forum: http://www.slackplanet.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwalk.org
Zenwalk is the new name of Minislack Linux Project. Zenwalk Linux aims to be focused on Internet application, multimedia and coding tools. It's a complete system : this means that, out of the box, you will be able to browse, mail, chat, listen to music, program in C, Perl, Python, Ruby,.. watch videos in various formats, write documents, print, scan, burn CD and DVD, connect your camera and edit your photographs, without adding anything. Coders will like the full set of development libraries and interpreters.

Vigilante
daggerdragon
If you let me suck your cock, I'll give you my my USAir miles PS I

oops wrong thread, sorry.

Devnull

I'm about to resurrect an old server... Probably going to use slackware. I would highly recommend slackware to anyone first starting Linux. Why oh why? Because you'll need to learn some more advanced things eventually and you might as well dive right into it. Some of these flashier distros are just like AOL... They work for extreme newbies, but will keep them so spoonfed that they will forever be an ubernoob as long as they use it.

Last edited by Devnull; 10-24-2005 at 02:52 PM..

aqua_scummm
I like balloons

Name: Yellow Dog Linux
Made For: Great for general use, good for beginner-intermediate
Note:Not available for x86 or ia64, with no plans for either. Strictly power architecture (RISC CPUs Such as PPC, IBM POWER, Freescale)

A great distro, IMO. Easy to set up, good community, very non competitive with other OSs. Runs smooth and everything works fine right off the bat.

elpenix

SuSE / openSuSE

Recommended for: Anyone, really. Easy setup and maintenance for newbies.
Targeted Role: Mainly desktop usage. Enterprise edition targeted for (network) administration.
Official website: http://www.opensuse.org http://www.novell.com
Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSUSE
misc links: packman.links2linux.org (software packaging for suse) gnu.org linux.org

General Description:
SuSE is a highly comprehensive distribution, which includes nearly any program you could ever need. It has a simple and failsafe installation and defaults to init 5 (Graphical user interface, multiuser with network). It is highly user-friendly and offers simple point and click administration. Don't let this fool you though - underneath SuSE is as powerful and customisable as Slackware or Debian. Recently the project openSuSE started. Before openSuSE, SuSE was open-source but the development was behind sealed doors. This has since changed, with openSuSE offering open development. The current openSuSE version is 10.1 (I believe) and does not include any proprietary software whatsoever (for instance flash). SuSE is LSB 2.0 certified (Linux standard base).

Software Management:
SuSE's approach to simplify software management and general system administration is YAST (yet another system tool, iirc) which has, imho, succeeded nicely. Apart from near total system control over a neato and clean GUI, it offers online updates and a solid package management feature with dependency checking/solving. Even though SuSE is an RPM based distribution, APT (advanced packaging tool - a tool to easily and automatically install programs and solve dependencies online) has been ported to it. At this point I'm not entirely sure if APT is also available for other RPM based distros - my money says yes though.

Summary:
I like SuSE. It may be generically somewhat bloated and can't compete with damn small linux - but that's to be expected from a distro that's mainly used as a desktop solution. It's mainstream and has a very large and helpful user base as well as many wikis.
The "newbie debate", stating that if you want to learn linux you should get thrown into the deep end (ie start with slack/gentoo) sides SuSE definitively. But what is often forgotten in this debate, is that most people just want something that works and isn't proprietary - I'm in IT. It's part of my job (and hobby - geez how sad am I) to get to know my distro and how it works. But most working people don't have the time/energy/motivation to go through this.
If you want something that works out of the box, is easy to set up, brings everything to the table you could need (openoffice, mozilla/ff, multimedia, email, the (desktop) works) and won't cause you hours on end to troubleshoot, then SuSE is definitely an option you should look into.

Cliffs:
- Comprehensive
- User friendly, yet powerful
- Now has open development
- Easy to update/maintain
- Large and helpful community
- Time-pressed-newbies' choice #1

btw, if there are questions, feel free to pm me and I will field them here.

Last edited by elpenix; 12-24-2005 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: your mother.

famavolat

I took this test and got the actual distro that I use (archlinux) so I guess it's pretty right on. Try it for yourself:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

thaMan02

Anyone ever hear or try Elive linux?

tobrien

does anyone know enough about Fedora to make a post similar to Dastrike's and the others?

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Archlinux is an absolutely fantastic distribution. It's actively supported and has a wonderful user base. Standard repos stay pretty bleeding-edge, and there are a few very credible user repositories with extremely useful packages in them. Do the base install, then use pacman to get all of your programs. Everything you want, and nothing you don't.