General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

20 years ago no one was doing anything but stock restorations, it's still hard to convince an old timer to do something other than a stock resto

and how exactly are you saying that a lot of them are already restored? who compiled that statistic? what is a lot? because the majority of them are still quietly rusting away in some junkyard somewhere

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
What's so hard about less people making replacement parts for cars that are becoming more rare and less popular?

A lot of them are already restored, most are hardly ever driven. More parts being made today for a GTO than 10-20 years ago?

It's not as though a stamping die is built to be disposable. Body parts are likely to be made as long as there is still sheet metal and electricity to run the hydraulic presses.

I admit, I'm not as plugged into the scene as I once was, but those old cars still go for ridiculous cash at Barrett Jackson, no? Any decline in prices could as easily be blamed on the poor economy instead of something nebulous as unpopularity.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
because they are making more

they made enough for a projected sales amount, the demand outstripped that sales amount, so they are working on bringing the inventory back up
what's so hard about this?

Yep. The new rear finisher should be here any day now.

It's either that, or repair the existing one (which has rust damage around the holes that the lights mount to, so it would be a solid gold bitch to do that - 8 metal surrounds, plus R&R on the panel to get to some RH rear body damage).

Either way, it'll get done. I'm vaguely nervous about using a replacement panel, as everything I've ever used on the 240Z (couple patch panels, and a replacement rear finisher) were so badly made that they got returned in favor of blasting and installing replacements from another shell.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Point taken that once the tooling exists someone will keep making certain quantities of certain things. Mustang and Camaro parts aren't going to vanish any time soon. Pontiac stuff is a little more rare. Generally the prices have gone up for all parts from what i understand though.

It's harder to buy NOS parts - that even Asa can't argue with This creates opportunity for others to charge more for aftermarket. This in turn discourages people from taking on such projects in the first place, perpetuating the "lack of demand" cycle.

Here's an article on the subject, by an "expert muscle car guy" Keith Martin.. It's 3 years old but his predictions have come true so far in prices - recession or not (one of many factors) he lists some of the other reasons. Between shifting interests, less cars available to restore and the increased cost of doing so the market is dying back. Since the next generation doesn't know or care about classic muscle it's not going to get any better either.

"Beanie Babies and Muscle Cars"

http://autoweek.com/assets/pdf/CW11927129.PDF

Last edited by [H]ard|On; 04-18-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Jehannum

I hate the idea of "car collecting". Any car I buy, regardless of its provenance or scarcity, is going to be driven.

That dude's article doesn't really address popularity in his prediction of prices, though. I agree heartily with the rest of it, though (scarcity and provenance drive valuation, not cost of restoration). It's not like I expect to ever get more than I put into any car out of it in a sale.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
It's not like I expect to ever get more than I put into any car out of it in a sale.
no shit, it just doesn't happen
hell, with my truck i could likely get what i paid for it right now, but that's nowhere near what i put into it over the years

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On

Well either way, I think it's safe to say care should be taken with a classic car - parts are getting harder to find and cost more and more money.

Despite the recent hit in prices muscle cars still go for a lot - more than most people can afford, which makes the aftermarket even worse

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
no shit, it just doesn't happen
hell, with my truck i could likely get what i paid for it right now, but that's nowhere near what i put into it over the years

Does that include the axes?

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
It's not as though a stamping die is built to be disposable. Body parts are likely to be made as long as there is still sheet metal and electricity to run the hydraulic presses.

I admit, I'm not as plugged into the scene as I once was, but those old cars still go for ridiculous cash at Barrett Jackson, no? Any decline in prices could as easily be blamed on the poor economy instead of something nebulous as unpopularity.

Actually stamping dies are built exactly like that. You estimate the demand, and build tooling to last for the demand only, since building longer lasting tools and dies is much more expensive, so it eats into your profits. It's fairly logical that the dies to stamp new muscle car bodies and panels have worn out and the manufacturers dont see enough demand to continue.

Jehannum

There's a difference between "no longer available" and "backordered".

But hey, you're technically correct, illig. The very best kind of correct.

[H]ard|On

I read an article about the Cherokee tooling that was sold to the Chinese. It talked about the stuff being towards the end of it's useability however the Chinese mostly wanted to copy it rather than continue using it.

Jehannum

Finally....

New rear window channel, primed and replaced:

Out with the old:

asa

whoa dude! they actually made one of those for you?

i'm surprised, i heard from a very reliable source that they weren't making parts for old school muscle cars anymore, however did you find one?

edit: reminds me, i need to find replacement mirrors for my truck, off to NPD i go!

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Jehannum

Quote:
whoa dude! they actually made one of those for you?

i'm surprised, i heard from a very reliable source that they weren't making parts for old school muscle cars anymore, however did you find one?

edit: reminds me, i need to find replacement mirrors for my truck, off to NPD i go!

Well, like I said, "backordered" means something different from "no longer available".

It took 'em long enough, though. I was almost ready to go buy a $800 shell from T or C.

[H]ard|On

It looks kinda good in silver