General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Reducing heart rate while running

I'm training to run long distances, but I'm having trouble keeping my heart rate in check. Nearing two miles, my heart feels like hell, and I've timed it as high as 190BPM. That's very close to my maximum heart rate, so this concerns me a lot. What are some things that I can do to keep my heart rate low when running?

I'm a social smoker (yes, I know I should quit), and I don't have more than 5 a week if I'm not drinking. Is smoking as much as I do having a large impact on this?

Diet is obvious, and I know I should be eating a lot more antioxidants than I do. I've already (very reluctantly) cut bacon out of my diet. Can anyone recommend a weekly diet to increase heart health? I'm willing to stick to a firm diet plan if there is one.

Are there any breathing techniques to use while running that I don't know about? Are there any exercises I can practice while not running to increase my heart's ability to pump blood effectively?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

vinnie
OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE SUCKING COCK!!!!!

Cardivascular fitness tends to come from cardiovascular type exercise, like... running.

Just eating something different is unlikely to make a whole lot difference to your heart rate, focus on doing more cardio and you should be fine.
.......v.

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Cardivascular fitness tends to come from cardiovascular type exercise, like... running.

Just eating something different is unlikely to make a whole lot difference to your heart rate, focus on doing more cardio and you should be fine.

This.

Heart healthy diets tend to be low cholesterol and low sodium. Low cholesterol to limit atherosclerosis/coronary artery disease; low sodium to minimize hypertension and/or volume overload (in those who already have congestive heart failure). In someone young and otherwise healthy, none of these are likely to be issues (though in the long-term a diet like this will certainly not hurt), and even if you did have the arteries and kidneys (impaired sodium clearance) of an 80 year old, would still not be the cause of an elevated exercise heart rate.

Merridew

generally, the more you run, the better your body adapts to it and gets used to the pace, so the heart rate should lower with time. its just conditioning as far as i know.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

You just need to get into better shape is probably the best answer I can give you.

Also, don't do too much at once when you're starting, especially with running. You're going to wind up getting shin splints or something and that's going to slow you down more. I'd mix in other cardio activities such as cycling to compliment, and just do cardio more often. Your heart rate will gradually decline.

Smoking in any amount is going to decrease your body's efficiency for getting oxygen to the blood and you're going to fatigue a lot faster. There's no reason to "smoke socially", just don't do it.

stupid dumbass
IvanY

Hmm, this works much more for bicycling than running but try taking longer strides. Longer strides should (theoretically) tax your muscles more but use your CV system less. This may help you lower your heart rate while keeping the speed up. On a bicycle this amounts to going to a higher gear. Also, try to focus on relaxing your entire body - I find that when I am relaxed I run faster while keeping my overall exertion down.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
You just need to get into better shape is probably the best answer I can give you.

Also, don't do too much at once when you're starting, especially with running. You're going to wind up getting shin splints or something and that's going to slow you down more. I'd mix in other cardio activities such as cycling to compliment, and just do cardio more often. Your heart rate will gradually decline.

Smoking in any amount is going to decrease your body's efficiency for getting oxygen to the blood and you're going to fatigue a lot faster. There's no reason to "smoke socially", just don't do it.
two miles is "that much" ?

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
two miles is "that much" ?

If you JUST started, I'd say yes. I don't know what kind of schedule he's using to ramp up with. A friend of mine runs on a regular basis, has competed in half-marathons and is training to run a full. If he is away from running for an extended period of time, be it injury or whatever, when he gets back into it, he'll start by running 1 km every other day and work his way back up gradually. Maybe the next week run 1.5 km, and then the next week 2 km, and so on. Increasing mileage too quick is not good. What I was asking was did he START with 2 miles? It sounds to me based on what he said that he's just starting, and if that's the case I'd say go easy on the mileage and compliment with other exercises to avoid injury and soreness.