General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Maybe a little expensive... I mean that infotainment system is going to be obnoxious, and I remember reading that those Bose systems (specifically in earlier miatas) were a PITA to deal with, similar issue w/ BMW's and HK systems.

otoh, it's the one people will pay a premium for, and hold out for when you go to sell it

did this new "skyactiv" platform nullify any preexisting aftermarket LSD options?

In both cars I sat in, one with the regular cheap radio and one with the infotainment, neither entered the field of view will in a driving position. It was weird when driving because I didn't notice it but just sitting in the car look at it, you think it will bug the crap out of you.

I had the Bose system in the FD and liked it, but I'm sure either system would be adequate for me. It isn't like SQ is going to be phenomenal in a convertible that is sparing on sound deadening to maintain lightness. The main perk to the Bose is that in addition to the standard driver-side in-seat speakers, there is also a set for the passenger-side as well.

The diff is unique to the new Miata and totally different from previous units. That said given the platforms popularity in racing there will be aftermarket options in short order. OS Giken makes a diff in 1, 1.5, and 2-way clutch-type configurations for all three previous platforms.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Ohhh not obnoxious like distracting... Obnoxious like... Closed-off, can't pair your phone for phone functionality AND multimedia, must use their apps/eco system, that sort of thing.

dipshit.
royjr
65/m/furry looking for 12/m/top

Quote:
pretty sure its a but

gatdamn
BORKED

If he would've had a <--EVOM sticker on his windshield, this would've never happened.
"I'm done here fuck all of you faggots." -GhEttOrAiD 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjr View Post
If he would've had a <--EVOM sticker on his windshield, this would've never happened.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

who did the mercedes belong to

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

i think he's an innocent bystander, white bmw might have just been trying to ram the shirtless dude

RazorWind

Quote:
LS3 time

wait

what car are we talking about here?

A 2004 Mazdaspeed factory turbocharged Miata.

This one is apparently production number 10 of ~5200 that got sold in the two years they offered it.

Anyway, further investigation reveals that the crank end play is actually only seven thousandths of an inch (.007), and the spec is .006 to .010, with .010 being "don't even bother rebuilding it, it's fucked" territory. It sure as hell feels like more than that, though.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

That's a nice looking car.

I drove one in the same gray (one of the two colors offered) back when they were still new. My boss at the time was preparing to swap it for an 04' Cobra and was trying to convince me to take over payments. It was a neat car but I was only 17, still driving the Thunderbird, and didn't have a proper appreciation of sports cars at that point. Might of had some influence in my buying the FD 6 months later though. :shrug:

Any comments on Miata ownership? Good, bad, ugly? Do you have multiple vehicles or is it your daily?

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
That's a nice looking car.

I drove one in the same gray (one of the two colors offered) back when they were still new. My boss at the time was preparing to swap it for an 04' Cobra and was trying to convince me to take over payments. It was a neat car but I was only 17, still driving the Thunderbird, and didn't have a proper appreciation of sports cars at that point. Might of had some influence in my buying the FD 6 months later though. :shrug:

Any comments on Miata ownership? Good, bad, ugly? Do you have multiple vehicles or is it your daily?

This is exclusively a toy car. I have a 2005 BMW 325i that I use as a daily.

I had a 1991 before this Mazdaspeed. The '91 had a Flyin Miata suspension and StopTech brakes and was so much fun it should be illegal with the stock engine. It got totaled about six weeks ago, and I picked up the Mazdaspeed to replace it.

Vast tomes have been written signing the praises of the Miata's character, and I can honestly say they're mostly true. They're quite durable vehicles, plenty of fun to drive (unless you have a tiny penis and can't live with the idea of having less than 10,000 horsepower), and reasonably practical as long as you don't have children. Also, and this is huge, the aftermarket for them rivals anything the US has ever produced, Camaro and Mustang included. Anything you could possibly want for a Miata is available for the writing of a (sometimes quite large) check, up to and including turn-key LSx V8 swaps.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be that I just barely fit in them. I'm 5' 11" and the top edge of the windshield is almost too low for me to see stop lights if I'm the first car in line. Also, the fuel economy is mediocre for a car of this size. I guess most people probably won't care about that, but it's worth mentioning. Not every tiny car gets good gas mileage, even by 1990s standards.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
This is exclusively a toy car.

*snip*

, and reasonably practical .

"reasonably practical" compared to what? a unicycle?

DopefishLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

Practicality isn't a single metric. I have a Tahoe, so my need to tow another vehicle or carry furniture isn't a consideration for my Fiat or the potential Mazda. The metric for practicality for them is being small for ease of management in traffic, efficient with fuel so that trips can go longer, and reasonably quick so that I'm not last of the pack. Even the Fiat manages that quite-well. If I'm with the fam, I'm in the Tahoe, any other time (IE: going to work), I'm by myself with a Surface, jacket, and small backpack. All of those things travel with practicality on a motorcycle.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

Compared to... not having a car? A motorcycle? I dunno, what does everyone else mean when they talk about how "practical" a car is?

I just meant that doesn't impose any limitations that really cramp my style. I can fit a week's worth of groceries (for two people, your mileage may vary) in the trunk, carry a passenger, and park it in a normal parking space. It gets OK, but not exactly great, fuel economy, is relatively inexpensive to insure (compared to my BMW), and was cheap enough to buy that if it got totaled, I'd be upset, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

That said, this particular car is exclusively a toy car, because I have another that I drive most of time. Not that I couldn't use it as a daily - I just don't. Obviously, if you have different needs from me, like a plumber, who needs a huge van full of equipment, or a mormon soccer mom with 12 children, you might disagree with me about how "practical" a Miata is.

Jehannum

Hay guys, I souped up my ride.

It's fatto's favorite flavor.

Too bad all he'll see is:

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

na

chicken or picante shrimp

BORKED