General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lonedawg
Stiler

Got my copy and I'm loving it so far. It can be a bit frustrating dying and going back to your corpse and trying not to die again but once you get through it feels more rewarding that way.

I also love the online implementation. Seeing a boss and then all the blood splatters near him is hilarous, at least on the first mision with the Red eye knight that so many people tried to fight (thankfully I read a msg that said it was for a higher lv person) so I didn't go through him.

Also discovered the panathon (it's in the Nexus, one of the highest lv's in it) basically it's like a visual trophy room for achivements that other players have reached (IE player who's saved the most souls, etc) and it shows their characters and everything, pretty neat.

One thing I'm a bit confused by, what is a good thing to do in terms of building your character's stats and equipment?

I picked Knight for my class and after the first lv I had about 6000 souls. I ended up spending them all on stats (didn't mean to, but you can't go back...).

Equipment wise do you really need to buy it or will you generally find useful things enough to survive by?

@Chaos, I played about 30mins ago and the online stuff was working fine for me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BCS
(mcovey)

Does this game have random loot?

-augusttremulous

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntvinh986 View Post
Thanks you for the post.

Anime Watching

THANKS FOR THE SITEPIMP!
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

theNoid

This game looks pretty damn fun, I would play this.

MooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS View Post
Does this game have random loot?

Sort of. Certain mobs drop certain items, but it's random whether or not they drop. It's not like you're going to get the best weapons from a dog.

Big souls:

I saved bank-note like souls, it can be a pain or pleasure. The little 200-400 soul objects aren't worth saving. The 1000-2000 are, IMO. I also did massive research about boss souls and if you want to craft your character to your liking, you will need to do so as well. I never used a boss soul by itself until NG+. I always traded boss souls for magic and weapons and whatnot. 

Stats:

I would go with whatever you think is most important to you. Personally, I found, as a knight, that I had to create a character that wasn't just melee oriented. This meant, vitality, will, endurance, strength and dexterity were the most important to me. Sure, I chose other stats such as faith and whatnot, but I had to be very careful of what I put souls into. Certain weapons need dex/strength, sometimes you need to carry more weight (vitality/endurance) and other times you need to be able to last in battle longer (vit/end.) It's all very much like a puzzle and you can screw around but if you want to do things easily, you'll take your time and think before you act. 

Equipment:

You can find almost anything by playing the game. There are times when you can buy or 'trade' for weapons sooner than it would be had you found them on your own. Sometimes you can only buy certain things. Other times you can only find them. Be cautious with your souls, is about all I can warn you about without explaining every items location. At the end, I was raising tens of thousands of souls just to level up. 

You will find duplicate items. Sometimes you won't find duplicates. It's important that you hold onto almost everything (except trashy items like slave's shield, though I would keep a broken sword around.) 

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't have been able to beat the game without a sword, bow, magic, and tons of souls invested in these things (including corresponding stats.) 

ChaosPhoenix

Played as a black phantom today. Equipped a Thief's ring so the player couldn't see me as easily. He tried to fight me one on one (which hasn't worked out for any black phantoms I've seen), I ended up running past him - past a bunch of mobs, and waited. He kept going, got to a part where he was getting ganged up on and that's when I struck.

I've beaten 2-2,2-3 and 1-3 now. Debating if I should head to 3-1 now or try 1-4.

Also, I still haven't found a dagger to replace my normal one. I'm about to farm some stuff to upgrade it - but I thought I should probably find a new one soon.

MooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenix View Post
Played as a black phantom today. Equipped a Thief's ring so the player couldn't see me as easily. He tried to fight me one on one (which hasn't worked out for any black phantoms I've seen), I ended up running past him - past a bunch of mobs, and waited. He kept going, got to a part where he was getting ganged up on and that's when I struck.

I've beaten 2-2,2-3 and 1-3 now. Debating if I should head to 3-1 now or try 1-4.

Also, I still haven't found a dagger to replace my normal one. I'm about to farm some stuff to upgrade it - but I thought I should probably find a new one soon.

Certain levels have way more lewt than others. 2-2 and 2-3 have quite a bit if you look hard. You usually have to upgrade your stuff through the guy at 2-2 to get anywhere decent.

ChaosPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
Certain levels have way more lewt than others. 2-2 and 2-3 have quite a bit if you look hard. You usually have to upgrade your stuff through the guy at 2-2 to get anywhere decent.

Yea, I noticed that. But whats the deal with certain weapons being WAYYY weaker than the ones you upgrade them from?

For example, my dagger is +8 right now, and I have an option to upgrade it to a Needle of Eternal Agony. But my dagger's atk rating is something like 110, the NoEA is only 10.

Same with like a mail breaker to a quality mail breaker.

What's the point?

MooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenix View Post
Yea, I noticed that. But whats the deal with certain weapons being WAYYY weaker than the ones you upgrade them from?

For example, my dagger is +8 right now, and I have an option to upgrade it to a Needle of Eternal Agony. But my dagger's atk rating is something like 110, the NoEA is only 10.

Same with like a mail breaker to a quality mail breaker.

What's the point?

Certain weapons do certain OTHER things. That's where the wiki comes into play. You can't know until you make the upgrade.

Certain weapons do magic damage, give you more magic damage, etc. etc. There's even builds out where you use certain upgraded tools, such as a silver catalyst (I believe that's it?) with other weapons, tools, outfits, to do massive damage through a certain ability (magic being a good example of the silver catalyst.) You gota plan it out though. 

A good quarter of the game is upgrading. Farming for the materials to upgrade, planning it out. I even messed up a few times and couldn't do the full upgrades in one game that I had wanted to. 

lonedawg
Stiler

Man that pisses me off, 8000souls down the drain, 4+ hours wasted. I went through the entire first lv (started a new guy), got through ti all, killed the blob thing and kept going, then I got to a blue knight that one-hit me with almost full health...., so I tried to get back to where I died and the dragon caught me as I went to run I got massive framerate drops and it slowed and then bam, dead, 8000souls and 4 hours gone because of that shit.

So I can't kill the boss again or anything, doeos that mean his soul is wasted now and I just royally fucked myself over? I thought I'd go back after killing him (I should have) but I just wanted to keep going to see if I could fnish the entire lv instead.

ChaosPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
Man that pisses me off, 8000souls down the drain, 4+ hours wasted. I went through the entire first lv (started a new guy), got through ti all, killed the blob thing and kept going, then I got to a blue knight that one-hit me with almost full health...., so I tried to get back to where I died and the dragon caught me as I went to run I got massive framerate drops and it slowed and then bam, dead, 8000souls and 4 hours gone because of that shit.

So I can't kill the boss again or anything, doeos that mean his soul is wasted now and I just royally fucked myself over? I thought I'd go back after killing him (I should have) but I just wanted to keep going to see if I could fnish the entire lv instead.

I lost 30K souls earlier today, so, yea, it happens.

Easiest way to replenish your souls is to use a blue stone (I set mine up at the beginning of a stage) and run the stage as a blue phantom for someone. If you die in someone else's world - you come back with your souls. So you always have a positive gain when helping someone.

Also, when you get your body back, try and find some people to go with you. Look for soul marks and summon someone. Unless I'm farming items for upgrades, I never go through a stage alone.

Roam

I think Ive gotten the hang of it a bit more now. I usually farm world 4 for souls off those metal skeletons. Just clear a bit then run back, jump off a ledge and die, rinse repeat. Racks up 20k souls at least in 30 mins. But from doing that, I got so used to all the enemies there that I just carefully cleared my way through until I actually ran into the Adjucator boss. Thought he was gonna just destroy me when I was far from him, but eventually got up close and hes a cakewalk. Just strafe around him hitting the stomach and smack the head when he falls.

Just found that brushwood armor in 1-1 and got the endurance up to wear it with my giant-ass shield. Most bosses now I have enough endurance to block through anything. When I found the armor, I could barely carry all of it not realizing my stack of arrows was the big burden which I shoulda dropped. I only got the whole armor set but I think there was a shield and weapon... when I came back it was gone, no way to get that? Or is it not worth it anyway... I got a +3 Moon Winged Spear right now and a +6 long bow.

Whats the max soul level? I'm at 46 now. I read about getting lots of stats to 99... so that would mean the soul cap is really high?

Busterzx202

I just started playing yesterday and keep getting my ass handed to me. I can handle the normal soldiers fine in 1-1 but I keep getting killed by the blue eyed guys. I can't seem to get the timing down on the shield block to counter them. I started as a Knight and haven't gotten any new equipment. I can't even complete the first area to get any souls to keep.

MooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post

Welcome to Demon's Souls. I believe I lost 80K souls near the end of my game in one run. However, through my game I probably lost over half a million cumulative from being stupid. It's not that big of a deal ( Level 4-2 can net you a few hundred K in a short time ) and it isn't the end of the world, yet. Items never get lost, unless you don't pick them up. That means, if you picked up a boss' soul, it will stay on you. If you left it in the 'stone, it will remain there until you pick it up.  Phalanx stone is worthless, so no worries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
I think Ive gotten the hang of it a bit more now. I usually farm world 4 for souls off those metal skeletons. Just clear a bit then run back, jump off a ledge and die, rinse repeat. Racks up 20k souls at least in 30 mins. But from doing that, I got so used to all the enemies there that I just carefully cleared my way through until I actually ran into the Adjucator boss. Thought he was gonna just destroy me when I was far from him, but eventually got up close and hes a cakewalk. Just strafe around him hitting the stomach and smack the head when he falls.

Just found that brushwood armor in 1-1 and got the endurance up to wear it with my giant-ass shield. Most bosses now I have enough endurance to block through anything. When I found the armor, I could barely carry all of it not realizing my stack of arrows was the big burden which I shoulda dropped. I only got the whole armor set but I think there was a shield and weapon... when I came back it was gone, no way to get that? Or is it not worth it anyway... I got a +3 Moon Winged Spear right now and a +6 long bow.

Whats the max soul level? I'm at 46 now. I read about getting lots of stats to 99... so that would mean the soul cap is really high?

Soul level cap is somewhere in the 700's. You won't find many human opponents or friendlies at that level (to the point, that if you do find someone you'll probably recognize them by name. I would say level 350-700+ is going to be barren for finding human players.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterzx202 View Post
I just started playing yesterday and keep getting my ass handed to me. I can handle the normal soldiers fine in 1-1 but I keep getting killed by the blue eyed guys. I can't seem to get the timing down on the shield block to counter them. I started as a Knight and haven't gotten any new equipment. I can't even complete the first area to get any souls to keep.

It's all about strategy. I like to strafe around them and slash them when they're in midattack (usually a strike, or some type of slash, you can dodge and hit them a few times before they recover.)

Another strategy, if you have a large or medium metal shield, is to let them hit you and then counter when they get stunned for a mere second or so.

You don't *need* other people to play, btw. I didn't use any of my multiplayer stones until NG+.

Last edited by MooK; 10-10-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Busterzx202

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
It's all about strategy. I like to strafe around them and slash them when they're in midattack (usually a strike, or some type of slash, you can dodge and hit them a few times before they recover.)

Another strategy, if you have a large or medium metal shield, is to let them hit you and then counter when they get stunned for a mere second or so.

You don't *need* other people to play, btw. I didn't use any of my multiplayer stones until NG+.

What about the parry/riposte combination? Is there a trick to the timing? I've gotten it to work a few times before, but it just seemed to be luck on my behalf.