General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

BPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYY View Post
Seriously, why is Vibram still in business?

Vibram is one of, if not the, largest sole manufacturer in the world. Over 1,000 companies purchase over 35 million soles a year from them. They know what they are doing.

As noted, different shoes for different occasions. I run on treadmill barefoot. These are the closest thing to bare feet I can use outside when running. My footsies weren't made for running on concrete or through broken glass, but I can with these.

And they are awesome for driving stick shift cars with a lot of tactile feedback.

They have their place.

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

coalesce

I figure if they were any good, that Bolt guy would be breaking lap records and you'd see Kenyans winning marathons in five toes.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
I figure if they were any good, that Bolt guy would be breaking lap records and you'd see Kenyans winning marathons in five toes.

Ironically, the last Kenyan to win a major US marathon has been sidelined with injuries 3 years straight. (He wore Nikes)

Runding

Since the thread's inception I've been researching these and I'm going to go out and find a pair to try on. I've got plantar fasciitis and from everything I've read it looks like it really helps it. At this point I'm ready to try anything other than surgery. Maybe I'll buy some?

laz

Quote:

The 5-finger shoes are nothing more then a training tool to get better running mechanics.

Scatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
The 5-finger shoes are nothing more then a training tool to get better running mechanics.
those "better running mechanics" are from running barefoot, something that homo sapiens have been doing for thousands of years

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Scatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
I got my Vibram FiveFingers KSO recently...They are amazing. But then again, I never run. But they are excellent for:

Lifting any weights - when you lift, an athletic shoe gives you too much heel lift, is too cushiony and unstable, and absorbs too much force. Think about it, when you run, most running shoes are loaded with an inch of gel and foam and air pockets and whatnot to reduce force. When you lift any weights, you want maximal force transfer from feet to ground and be firm and stable.

I used to use New Balance trail running shoes (running shoes, but I got trail ones since they had thickest soles and I only lift). But it still gave me too much heel lift, making my feet angle forward too much on squats and deads, raising my center of gravity, and it still wasn't add hard and stable as going barefoot/Vibrams/Converse. FiveFingers are even better than Converse All Stars for lifting... even lower to ground, feel the ground even better, it's almost like I can grip the ground with my toes.

I also love em for driving. I have a stick shift 370Z. Feel every vibration and detail when I press on the gas pedal and clutch. I can also imagine they'd be excellent for rock climbing/bouldering, gymnastics, anything requiring foot flexibility or using toes for grip.

I've been wearing them daily for the past 2 days (just got them), and they're pretty damn comfortable. I feel so "close" to the ground.

Think of it this way: You're out in the snow but it's not too cold.... skiing in springitme for example. Would you rather wear thin but warm full fingers gloves? Or would you like to wear extra thick mittens? There's shoes for every purpose. Gyms should really allow you to go barefoot. I mean, dropping a 45 pound plate is going to fucking hurt with any shoe on unless you have steel toed work boots. When I go hiking, I'll wear full ankled hiking boots. When I'm out at the bars, I'll wear my fancy leather shoes. For the gym, FiveFingers (or barefoot) is where it's at.
the best and most well-thought out reponse in this thread.

:golf clap:

face over the Internet."

Scatman

i have a pair, i use them at the gym for lifting. they're fantastic. my gym doesn't allow barefoot. i've also played racquetball in them, which feels just different from NB 803s i usually wear, and provides a better workout, except there is an adjustment phase where it will hurt for a little while afterwards

face over the Internet."

Conna

I heard people use them for surfing. Walk to the beach, have good grip and touch while surfing, walk home.

coalesce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Ironically, the last Kenyan to win a major US marathon has been sidelined with injuries 3 years straight. (He wore Nikes)

I think that would be more from the fact that this guy runs 26 miles at a time, something that's incredibly strenuous on the body and something that's almost unnatural for humans to be doing lol.

laz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post
those "better running mechanics" are from running barefoot, something that homo sapiens have been doing for thousands of years

I don't see how we are disagreeing here. The point of the five-finger shoes is to provide barefoot running forum while still protecting your foot.
But the key you are forgetting is that humans, on average, are now living drastically longer then at any point before in our long history. Our joints wouldn't be able to withstand barefoot running over our now significantly longer lifespans without some aid from footwear.

coalesce

People aren't naturally meant to run long distances and people have been running for thousands of years but they haven't been running barefoot the whole time either.

Foolioq

I can't wear these types of shoes, I have webbed feet

ritalinjoe

My friend was so proud of his new pair... Until he broke 3 toes rock hopping at the river.

Yotem

Quote:
People aren't naturally meant to run long distances and people have been running for thousands of years but they haven't been running barefoot the whole time either.

As I understand it humans basically evolved for long distance running, running prey into exhaustion was one of the early forms of hunting. In other words humans have been running barefoot for something like 2 million years at least. Probably longer, since whenever our ancestors came down from the trees and started walking upright.

Of course they were running on soft ground with feet properly conditioned for such things (callouses, etc.). They also died or settled down by the later 30s I'm guessing so long term damage was irrelevant.