General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
bucknasty
 
It's Time To Get Real

Fellow Mayers,

I need to get real about my diet again.

Brief history:
In college, I weighed 225 and was CUT. When I got married at 26, I weighed 217 and was still cut, but noticeably didn't look like I was always at the gym. I'm 29 as of today. I weigh 229 and am NOT cut. I won't be the guy that blames it on marriage and blah blah, but I freakin got chubby. I'll admit that shit all day long.

To the Future:
My dietary habits are loose. I need to tighten up. I get it. I need to be serious about it.

This is where a slight bit of accountability and some help from the fitness guru(s) can and will help. ALOT.

As I sit here, at my desk, in my immobile office job, I am realizing I am gross. I need to get in fighting shape. When I was "cut" I was not strict about my diet either, but I ate an obscene amount of ground turkey, chicken breast, cottage cheese, canned tuna, and also worked out, easily, two hours a day. Gone are the days of the 17" arms and 48" chest. Hello, Mr. Gut. You make me look awesome.

My goal:
1) Drop 20 and not look like a fat ass.
2) Get my bench on and get back to pressing 250lbs.
3) Squat 350.
4) Make my wife say, "Holy Shit! That's who I married!"

As is, I am 6'2" 229lbs. If I get to at or below 200, I'll look mean. But, I am all about baby steps.

What I need help with is my diet. I need this on lockdown.

Here is what I have access to daily (in order of potential consumption):
Eggs
Steel Cut Oats - McCann's
Frozen Fruit - Mainly blueberries and peaches
Fresh Fruit - whatever is in season
Cottage Cheese
Quality Turkey Lunch Meat - aka not the prepackaged bs you can buy.
Canned Tuna
WhiteWheat bread - 5g fiber / 6g protein / 2g fat per serving. Not the best, but the wife won't eat anything else.
Veggies, you name it and it's in our fridge.
Pasta
Brown Rice
Quinoa
Chicken Breast
Various White Fish - ala Snapper, Grouper, etc
Salmon

This is the list of compiled foods I should probably be eating and that we definitely have pretty much at all times. Any ideas on what to add/subtract?

Issues:
What is a default cut diet? If there is something vague I can preview, I can improvise and mix it up. I am not a retard in the kitchen and can cook proficiently. (Also, I am well aware that Google is my friend. Google is a motherfucker sometimes and there is too much out there. *winkwink*)
When making a shake is there a benefit to protein powder instead of straight eggs/whites?


Exercise:
I am assuming I need to hit the treadmill and light weights for now. Any opinions on this?
I also have access to a nice roadbike that I can mix it up with.



WARNING: I will post embarrassing pics later when I get home from work.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:36 PM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

bucknasty
 
Oh, I also love coffee. I will be consuming LOTS of black coffee, which I presently do.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Why treadmill and light weights?

And coffee is good. Just make sure you're drinking the water to counter the diuretic effects.

Regarding the default cut diet? 500 calories below your maintenance.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

laz
 
Good luck! And those are very reasonable goals. With that level of dedication it shouldn't be difficult to meet (Well, the path is difficult. But it is worth it!)
You first have to take ownership of what you eat each day. Log your diet, count your calories, add up the carbs/fat/protein and never cheat at it. Online diet logs are out there, I use dailyburn.com, that simplifies that process exponentially and helps form basic diet goals to shoot for.

How good are you at biking? It is a great tool but I cannot give you any advice on what you should be doing without knowing your abilities. Regardless, hop on that bike and hammer on.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM laz is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

mainbrotha
 
Good luck pressing 250 and squatting 350 with light weights

Count calories where you can. Hit the gym hard. I'd suggest avoiding the treadmill and doing something like Coqui's been logging, barbell complexes and circuits. They're killer.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM mainbrotha is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

bucknasty
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Why treadmill and light weights?

And coffee is good. Just make sure you're drinking the water to counter the diuretic effects.

Regarding the default cut diet? 500 calories below your maintenance.

Can you link me to your progress? Sounds interesting.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 PM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

bucknasty
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
Good luck! And those are very reasonable goals. With that level of dedication it shouldn't be difficult to meet (Well, the path is difficult. But it is worth it!)
You first have to take ownership of what you eat each day. Log your diet, count your calories, add up the carbs/fat/protein and never cheat at it. Online diet logs are out there, I use dailyburn.com, that simplifies that process exponentially and helps form basic diet goals to shoot for.

How good are you at biking? It is a great tool but I cannot give you any advice on what you should be doing without knowing your abilities. Regardless, hop on that bike and hammer on.

Thanks man! I'll check out the site for sure.

As for biking, how good am I? Hmmm. Decent? Haha I am not sure how to grade this. Here is my bike, in black on black of course.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

bucknasty
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbrotha View Post
Good luck pressing 250 and squatting 350 with light weights

Count calories where you can. Hit the gym hard. I'd suggest avoiding the treadmill and doing something like Coqui's been logging, barbell complexes and circuits. They're killer.

Quote:
I am assuming I need to hit the treadmill and light weights for now.
Here are some keywords you are missing.

Furthermore, light weights to me mean I will probably start benching at 205-215 and squatting 275-285-ish. So yea, thanks for the good luck. Maybe light weights mean 5-10lbs for you.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

mainbrotha
 
Semantics error on the light weights thing. My point was that obviously you won't be able to bench what you want to now, but don't be afraid to lift heavy.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 PM mainbrotha is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

laz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknasty View Post
Thanks man! I'll check out the site for sure.

As for biking, how good am I? Hmmm. Decent? Haha I am not sure how to grade this. Here is my bike, in black on black of course.

That is a solid bike! The Shimano 105 drive train on it is pretty good stuff for basically everyone who isn't racing professionally.
Do you have a computer on there to give you your current and average speed along with distance and time? If not, get one for it! Maybe I'm too empirically motivated but numbers really help me train and base my abilities against others and gives me goals to hit. I got into road cycling last summer and have moved onto triathlons this summer. On my training bike I have a Cateye Strada Cadence computer that I got cheap from amazon. It logs the basics along with measuring my cadence (how fast you spin your pedals, think of it as being equal to a car's tachometer) which is critical. Shoot for maintaining a cadence somewhere between 80 and 100rpm's and change gears accordingly to stay within that range.
I'd opt for the bike in place of the treadmill any day. Go for a 20 mile spin on it, after you get some proper cycling shorts, and report back to me. I'm addicted to the bike, but then again I'm a triathlete.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM laz is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknasty View Post
Can you link me to your progress? Sounds interesting.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=830653
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 09-24-2010, 03:47 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknasty View Post
Furthermore, light weights to me mean I will probably start benching at 205-215 and squatting 275-285-ish. So yea, thanks for the good luck. Maybe light weights mean 5-10lbs for you.

That's not light weights though. If 250 was your max bench, I wouldn't be expecting you to bench 205 for more than 5 reps.

I have a max bench currently of 335 and light for me is 135.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

Artesial
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknasty View Post
Here are some keywords you are missing.

Furthermore, light weights to me mean I will probably start benching at 205-215 and squatting 275-285-ish. So yea, thanks for the good luck. Maybe light weights mean 5-10lbs for you.

I'm confused with your logic but good luck nontheless.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 AM Artesial is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

bucknasty
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
Good luck! And those are very reasonable goals. With that level of dedication it shouldn't be difficult to meet (Well, the path is difficult. But it is worth it!)
You first have to take ownership of what you eat each day. Log your diet, count your calories, add up the carbs/fat/protein and never cheat at it. Online diet logs are out there, I use dailyburn.com, that simplifies that process exponentially and helps form basic diet goals to shoot for.

How good are you at biking? It is a great tool but I cannot give you any advice on what you should be doing without knowing your abilities. Regardless, hop on that bike and hammer on.

This site is EPIC. Thanks so much! I'll take the weekend and set it all up. I am pretty stoked about this. I already started adding in recipes and reading alot about some of their provided meal plans.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 AM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

bucknasty
 
Update 1

Sorry for no pics. I got swept up by the family for my birthday when I walked in the door. Tonight, they shall be there.

The goals I have set are modest, in my opinion. I may have not been clear about my fitness level. Have I gained weight? Hell yes. Am I completely out of shape and cannot workout? No. The weight-loss goal and the weight-maxing are benchmarks. I will continue to extend my goals as I surpass the previous ones.

I lifted this morning. I stretched, ran on treadmill for 12mins, benched a minor pyramid, rested for 10mins while updating contact info, did minor stretching again from stiffening up and then did squats on the rack.
Results:
Bench: I warmed up and worked my way up to 205, as stated, and did 3 sets of 6,6,5. 250 will be a breeze and I am excited to check that off in a few weeks.
Squats: My goal here is way too modest. I did 3 sets of 300 x6 after warm-ups.

I am going to take the weekend to setup dailyburn.com, get to know my new gym, try to accurately setup my plan of attack and longer term goals, and lastly, try to get a body fat percentage reading. The percentage is imperative for longer term goals.

Apparently, my use of the words "light weights" did not come across 'correctly' in the OG post. I should have said comfortable weight limits that I know I can improve upon. For instance, Coqui has a max of 335. I am sure he is 'comfortable' doing sets of 285.

I do not know my current maxes, but will get to them shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknasty View Post
My goal:
1) Drop 20 and not look like a fat ass.

I am still starting here. Steps 2-4 will happen accordingly.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM bucknasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.