General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Where to get trailer hitch installed and how much?

I need to get a trailer hitch installed on my 2008 4Runner. It did not come with the tow package, so I was wondering where you guys would take it to get the hitch installed, what brands I should look for, and how much it should cost?

I know UHaul puts them on, but that scares the shit out of me. The dealer guy when I bought it said "I'd just take it to UHaul if you asked me to do it and upcharge you, so you might as well go yourself". At least he was honest.

There's a place called Jeepers Den that specializes in Jeep accessories, lifts, etc and they said it'd be $214 for the hitch +$25 for the wire kit +$75 for the install all said and done. Is that a fair price, because I'd trust them over UHaul. They've been around for a while (at least 10 years) and seem successful.

Are there different options such as mount sizes, etc that I should ask for / lookout for? I thought there were different size balls, square mounts, etc?
Also, is it really just something you bolt on? I thought it was welded to the car. I could possibly do that myself if it's just a few bolts?
http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i...tch-p-767.html

After looking at the "Complete Package" above, they talk about drop heights and stuff, how do I figure that out?

Last edited by DHermit; 07-20-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Its really is as simple as you describe. You bolt it on and youre done. Make sure to get the splitter so you can connect your tail lights to the trailer.
Most important is to make sure you get the right ball mount so it has the proper drop or rise for your car. If the trailer is not level it can cause jack knifing.

When I bought mine the choices were pretty limited. I got a class 2 "hidden hitch". I was given the option to get the matching class 2 ball mount with the right rise and then the option of either a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. I checked uhaul and their trailers use either so I went with a 2". It was pretty simple really. Just bolts in with six class 10 bolts. The install took about an hour and I had to take the bumper off. Yours looks crazy simple.

As far as figuring out the rise or drop. From what I remember, you need to measure the height of the trailer tongue when the trailer is level and get a matching ball mount that will put the ball at the same height.

Last edited by Lurker; 07-20-2011 at 11:39 AM..

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Its really is as simple as you describe. You bolt it on and youre done. Make sure to get the splitter so you can connect your tail lights to the trailer.
Most important is to make sure you get the right ball mount so it has the proper drop or rise for your car. If the trailer is not level it can cause jack knifing.

When I bought mine the choices were pretty limited. I got a class 2 "hidden hitch". I was given the option to get the matching class 2 ball mount with the right rise and then the option of either a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. I checked uhaul and their trailers use either so I went with a 2". It was pretty simple really. Just bolts in with six class 10 bolts. The install took about an hour and I had to take the bumper off. Yours looks crazy simple.

As far as figuring out the rise or drop. From what I remember, you need to measure the height of the trailer tongue when the trailer is level and get a matching ball mount that will put the ball at the same height.

Thanks for the info. So I should prob buy the drop and all that stuff later? I don't currently have a trailer or a boat, but plan to have both in the future. For now this is just for UHaul trailers and the likes.

Aseras

You need to check and decide with what you are towing. Not only is it the hitch, but also what lighting connector you'll need. Most common is the 4 wire, but some are 7 wire or different. You might even have one from the factory already back there under the bumper somewhere.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

they have the install instructions listed right there on your hitch store site...

http://www.thehitchstore.com/images/...-13445-INS.pdf

seems easy as pie.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

I put one on my Integra with no issues whatsoever. I had to do the wiring myself, and that wasn't hard but it was harder than anything else.

solareon

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
I put one on my Integra with no issues whatsoever. I had to do the wiring myself, and that wasn't hard but it was harder than anything else.

umm wtf did you tow with an integra?
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

stay the GOD DAMN FUCK AWAY from uhaul, jesus i've seen so many fucking fuckups and shitty jobs done by them

i installed mine in about 45 minutes with a drill, wrench, and ratchet

Reese is the most common hitch i see installed, you will likely require a Class three or four hitch and a 2" ball

get a wiring kit that plugs into the stock harness (not one that you splice in), a 4-pin plug is the most common one used with most trailers

for the drop, wait until you tow something, first thing i towed with my truck was a car dolly, a 2" drop was fine for that, when i went to tow my Mustang from Florida to DC on a full trailer i needed a 3" drop that i had to turn upside down so it was a 3" lift

Asa of the Infidel Crew

_cashel

You can do it yourself if you really wanted, but I've heard good things about Jeepers Den, so you can't go wrong with them if you take it somewhere.

cokezeroholic

I just went to u-haul, picked out a hitch, slid it into the square hole on the backside of my vehicle, and secured it with the bolt. Not rocket surgery.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
I just went to u-haul, picked out a hitch, slid it into the square hole on the backside of my vehicle, and secured it with the bolt. Not rocket surgery.

this is because yours came with what's commonly known as a "towing package"
now DH doesn't have a "towing package" so he needs to install one

Asa of the Infidel Crew

cokezeroholic

Yeah I don't remember what the options were when I got it.

Hell, I'd see if he can shop around for a hitch and try and negotiate the rest of the cost. If not, then it's still not as bad as having most places install one.

asa

in a majority of shops, the mechanics hate installing hitches, always ends up being a severe PITA and the mechs end up losing money on the job

Asa of the Infidel Crew

princess0fdiabl0

Installed one on my wife's frontier, was a pain in the ass figuring out which bolts went where since it was a universal and not everything was needed, not by a long shot.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareon View Post
umm wtf did you tow with an integra?
anything from a single bike on a lightweight trailer to a couple bikes on a rather heavy trailer totaling around 2400lb... plus a trunk full of tools etc and two passengers made for a rather slow car.

I also took it to the dunes. I don't know of anyone else who can say that.