General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

New Stripes on the '27

A good friend put some new stripes on my '27 at a car show yesterday. He put the red on there a year ago, but always looked as if it needed something else. He laid down some white over it, and its just what she needed. Makes it pop.

Was thinking about doing some body work and slicking off the body this winter - getting rid of the pits and dents, and have a couple of spots of cancer that need replacing. But hate to have to paint over the stripes. That, and since i hate body work. May ride it out one more year before slicking off the body.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Aldaris

Looks good. Do you asphyxiate other drivers at stoplights with your exhaust?

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
Looks good. Do you asphyxiate other drivers at stoplights with your exhaust?

They are usually too annoyed by the noise of open headers to notice that they are slowly dying of carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's not that bad...engine runs good, and turnouts direct exhaust downward.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Lookin smooth bro

lopoetve

sweet!
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

d114

I like how the spring clamp matches the red pin striping.

gribly

I wouldn't do the bodywork - the dents actually fit the look of the car. Badass.

J Mel

I'm in the phase now where you either start fixing it up and making it nice or selling it and using money for new project. I really haven't done anything to it since I "finished" building it. I can't bring myself to sell her, as she's my first...and I love her so. Even when she is a tempermental bitch. Wait...are we talking about my car or my wife? I seem to have forgotten.

Oh...the car, that's right. Since I won't sell her, I think I can turn it into a nice car that is worth quite a bit of money with not much effort. I think if I replace the leaf springs in the back with coil-overs, put in nice interior, slick off body and descent paint, and take care of cancer, it has potential to be be a $20k car.

Last edited by J Mel; 10-17-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Forever Domon

I wish i lived near you just so I could see your cars driving around town.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

never understood the love of pinstripes, i appreciate the talent involved in the painting freehand but just don't see the appeal.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
never understood the love of pinstripes, i appreciate the talent involved in the painting freehand but just don't see the appeal.

To each their own. They don't work on modern cars as well as they do on classics, although nice subtle stripes on a modern car can really look good. On older cars, the vast spaces of bare sheet metal are just a blank canvas screaming for something to fill the space.

The 27 was begging for stripes when I had the red laid down a year ago. Helped set it apart a lot, but it wasnt quite right. Decided it needed some white for added contrast...talked to the striper a few times, but we could never meet up. He ended up being at the same show over the weekend, and I finally got my white stripes. I think that its exactly what it needed. If the 51 wasn't already striped, I would have had it done instead. Still need to have him lay down some paint on the dashboard though...big piece of painted steel that could use some graffiti.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:

Proof that what exists between your ears is dead vacuum.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

J, you ever decide what to do with the windshield on that mo-sheen?

Quote:
see this is why i banned you, good thread, automay, you come in with off topic shit talking and fuck it up because you haven't got a damn intelligent thought in your head but at the same time cant stand not to be in the limelight. yea i'm the worthless one, you're just another example of what has fucked this place.

you're the example of what has fucked this place, because you don't understand that this is automay and in automay we flame people for differing opinions

Ford v Chevy
solid axle v IRS
'vette v everything else

fuck off if you don't get it

Asa of the Infidel Crew

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
J, you ever decide what to do with the windshield on that

Keeping it tall. Still looks good, and won't be as enjoyable chopped. Should see the bugs caked on the window after crossing the lake. See that once and you'd understand about not chopping it.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

i still think there has to be an option with two separate bolt-on windshield heights

Asa of the Infidel Crew