General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

Lot's O' green dots = bad vidya card yeah?

So since I can't edit my post in my other thread, I'mma make a new one.

So I finally got my parts in and put together my PC. It's pretty swell, except I believe the video card is a POS, but I just wanna make sure before I try an RMA. It's plays games (so far went through Portal 2 in 2 days, and played some WoW and Risk Factions) without a problem. Although sometimes it will start with some green artifacts (1x1 pixels randomly), which can be solved by just unplugging the dvi and plugging it back in (ghetto!).
After a game session it will go for a while without any issue, but eventually will start pixelating/artifacting again. Drivers are uptodate and adjusting the fan speed (was normally @ 20% apparently) to 45% doesn't seem to work. I'm not overclocking, and even attempted a slight underclock.
I thought it might have been the cccp codec pack, but i uninstalled and nada.

Any other non-havingtowaitforareplacement fixes you guys can think of? Any possibility it's something else?

Card and vendor: http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product...ducts_id=15897

Rest of parts:
i52500
This PSU
this ra

stock cooling on GPU and CPU

I think this shows them, I can't tell if it's from the pic or what's currently on my screen

edit: Deleted drivers and am using whatever is the default Win7 drivers. no dots...

damn genmay always makes em show up. went to some old amd/ati drivers, but they're popping up again. will try another cable, again. might dust em both out. or try the hdmi, but i can't get the hdmi to work lol
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Last edited by G-Daddy; 12-08-2011 at 05:35 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

check the connector for dust/hair. Or try another cable.

Typhoon43

Blow out the heatsink/fan on your card as well. Then reseat it. Normally that's a sign of a card going South.

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

if i leave a youtube video on pause in a tab, no green dots. RMA requested however
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Yeah, normally that happens when the fan on the video card dies or the heatsink becomes clogged. It eventually will lead to permanent damage but if you can remedy it fast enough you can prevent damage.

This is also the reason I look for the video cards with the largest fans or no fans. Those pussy tiny fans on some video cards always seem to die quickly. The larger ones have stronger motors and therefor dust does not affect them as much.

Although in your case that doesn't look like the issue. Those centrifugal fans like you have are pretty powerful.