General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

simmersiz

and also btw... its almost inevitable that we will reach a "carrying capacity" and not be able to support all of the living (deplete our resources, etc), then what do we do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Selj

Evolution exists. Things change, things get better, things die off

Last edited by Selj; 07-18-2004 at 08:55 AM..

Wixard

Evolution doesn't stop simply because theres a lot more humans. It simply makes it on a bigger scale. We have already adapted to the world (or the world to us) to such a degree that now we are essentially masters of what was once a hospitable, and very dangerous land. Barring some sudden change, our "species" is apparently the most adequete.

As a race, I think we continue to evolve in a sense that we improve science, math, medicine etc. Even the physically weak, due to the evolution of the species as a whole in many cases has a chance at survival. So, we've evolved to the point where the physically weak now live as long as the "strong" from thousands of years ago. Thats quite an improvement!

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuck
Given that there is not a single satisfactory alternative ('intelligent design' is laughable) - it is scientific to believe evolution correct until it is proven otherwise.

It is scientific to believe all theories are valid until disproven, so said Isaac Newton. Creation by God and the watchmaker theory havn't been disproven either. Actually, I'd like to see some concrete evidence for how the watchmaker theory is absurd....

Wixard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky
It is scientific to believe all theories are valid until disproven, so said Isaac Newton. Creation by God and the watchmaker theory havn't been disproven either. Actually, I'd like to see some concrete evidence for how the watchmaker theory is absurd....

Watchmaker?

Selfsucker
shmoblar
Because sticking a thumb up my ass and having my own dick in my mouth is better than pussy anyday.

modern medicine killed evolution.....

/thread

[M]etallica [M]ember

www.stonybrookmotorsports.com

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszuma
dude, chill out for a second and breathe.
1st: when we say strongest, we are referring to "MOST ADAPTED," not literal muscles.
2nd: the point is not that he's saying weak people shouldn't breed.
3rd: the point is that with all of the advancements in medicine and such, people who are in no way suited to be involved in the evolution process (i.e. those with physical handicaps, metal instability, genetic diseases, or just weak and stupid) are given a chance to reproduce.

Again. THOSE WHO BREED ARE THE MOST ADAPTED FOR A GIVEN GENERATION.

Please read this over 10 times.

pigster

Quote:

No, not exactly. Theories that are not falsifiable are not science.

electric!sheep

Quote:

Implicitly, Newton was saying, "It is scientific to believe that all theories capable of being proven or disproven are valid until disproven." Even better, "It is scientific to believe that all scientific theories are valid until disproven."

See the problem?

pigster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixard
Watchmaker?

Intelligent design aka creationism with a new coat of paint

DocSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Implicitly, Newton was saying, "It is scientific to believe that all theories capable of being proven or disproven are valid until disproven." Even better, "It is scientific to believe that all scientific theories are valid until disproven."
If Newton actually believed this, then he was wrong. If something can not be proven or disproven, then guess what? It could be either true or false... There is no way to know!

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
If Newton actually believed this, then he was wrong. If something can not be proven or disproven, then guess what? It could be either true or false... There is no way to know!

Uh, no. Something is true if and only if it is proven. Something is false if and only if it is disproven.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixard
Watchmaker?

Basically the theory that God simply built the watch, turned the crank, and let it go. What that means is God started everything and let the world sort itself out through natural evolutionary process. In my opinion this is as good if not better than conventional evolutionary theory since it can be supported by popular scientific theory and still cover all the bases when it comes to things that cannot be explained. I believe it became popular during the Renaissance with guys like Rene Descartes.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigster
Intelligent design aka creationism with a new coat of paint

Try and call it what you want if it makes you feel better about what you believe, but before you do why don't you produce me some evidence as to why it isn't feasible. Until then, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Uh, no. Something is true if and only if it is proven. Something is false if and only if it is disproven.

Exactly, which is what I was trying to get at. I was using what Newton said as something to explain my thinking.