General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Zisland

I read this brief thing in a book before the store closed(im to cheap to buy books i read them while im in the store money is reserved for movies/videogames) Well it said that Kuwait was slant drilling wich is when you pump oil from outside of your territory and kuwait was doing this and stealing $14 billion worth of Iraq's oil and lowering prices so they could sell more. In retalliation to this Saddam Hussain, who put his country into bankruptsy through a pointless war with Iran needed money and invaded Kuwait because of their slant drilling. Im sure he would have done it anyway because of his countries economic position but if the slant drilling story is true would that justify his invasion? Im not an idiot who protects dictators we all know Saddam was a bad dude who performed many cruel acts on his own people as well as other all though played out by the media im sure it still happend. Im in no way trying to justify him but possibly his invasion of kuwait was within reason. Now America forcing him out to me was a good strategic move because once he took Kuwait not only did Iraq get their oil back but they got Kuwait as a country and all their territory giving Saddam control of 20% of the oil supply in the mid-east or world i forget.

Just a note im looking at this more from a Generals Strategic point of view on the hole America destroying the Iraqi forces and removing them from Kuwait.

Last edited by Zisland; 07-18-2004 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: add a note

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

chriszuma

yes.

edit: seriously, how the fuck should we know?

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisland
Now America forcing him out to me was a good strategic move because once he took Kuwait not only did Iraq get their oil back but they got Kuwait as a country and all their territory giving Saddam control of 20% of the oil supply in the mid-east or world i forget.

Punctuation, motherfucker, did you learn it?

chriszuma

Zisland

Im not in English class electric!sheep and it what I typed was obviously readable by most literate people. Funny comic chriszuma

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
I read this brief thing in a book before the store closed(im to cheap to buy books i read them while im in the store money is reserved for movies/videogames) Well it said that Kuwait was slant drilling wich is when you pump oil from outside of your territory and kuwait was doing this and stealing $14 billion worth of Iraq's oil and lowering prices so they could sell more. In retalliation to this Saddam Hussain, who put his country into bankruptsy through a pointless war with Iran needed money and invaded Kuwait because of their slant drilling. Im sure he would have done it anyway because of his countries economic position but if the slant drilling story is true would that justify his invasion? Im not an idiot who protects dictators we all know Saddam was a bad dude who performed many cruel acts on his own people as well as other all though played out by the media im sure it still happend. Im in no way trying to justify him but possibly his invasion of kuwait was within reason. Now America forcing him out to me was a good strategic move because once he took Kuwait not only did Iraq get their oil back but they got Kuwait as a country and all their territory giving Saddam control of 20% of the oil supply in the mid-east or world i forget.

Just a note im looking at this more from a Generals Strategic point of view on the hole America destroying the Iraqi forces and removing them from Kuwait.

No. Yes there is such a thing as slant drilling, however it is not possible to slant drill as far as would be necessary in order for Kuwait to be stealing Iraqi oil. The truth is much more simple and mundane. Iraq and Kuwait are physically located on top of the same massive oil field. 80% of that oil field is under Iraq, 20% is under Kuwait. While Kuwait does use slant drilling their slant drilling does not include drilling into Iraqi territory.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Zisland

Thanks for explaining that arthur pendragon. Kuwait is a piece of Iraq that seceded but im unsure of how long ago that was but Saddam obviously wanted to steal the oil rich Kuwait to force western countries to buy from him instead of the Emir. This makes sense to me now.

[H]eadup
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

how far could you slant drill anyways?

if there was an oil pocket big enough to slant drill into wouldint it also have been on kuwaits side of the border?

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that arthur pendragon. Kuwait is a piece of Iraq that seceded but im unsure of how long ago that was but Saddam obviously wanted to steal the oil rich Kuwait to force western countries to buy from him instead of the Emir. This makes sense to me now.
That is not correct; Kuwait was never a part of Iraq. Kuwait was a part of the Ottoman Empire which Iraq was also a part. When the Ottoman Empire fell the British Empire picked up the pieces and created a number of smaller nations. Kuwait was one of those smaller nations. Hungary, Yugoslavia, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, southern Ukraine, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia Iraq, Cyprus, Syria Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, eastern and western Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, eastern Yemen, Egypt, northern Libya, Tunisia, and northern Algeria were the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]eadup
how far could you slant drill anyways?

if there was an oil pocket big enough to slant drill into wouldint it also have been on kuwaits side of the border?
It depends on the depth of the well, the deeper the well the smaller the degree of slant, Middle East oil wells average between 3 and 4 miles in depth. Yes, about 18% to 20% of the oil field is under Kuwait. These two facts are why the international community scoffed at Saddam's accusations of Kuwait stealing Iraqi oil.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Last edited by arthur pendragon; 07-18-2004 at 11:07 AM..

SamFarber

You all are missing a very important point. Iraq ASKED THE US for help. We told them to deal with it in their own way. In other words, we said we wouldn't intervene. But thanks to Jews queering our government, we lose credibility by acting arbitrarily (and to the benefit of Israel.)

Zisland

Ottoman was the Turk right?

Nuntius

Quote:
Ottoman was the Turk right?

No, an ottoman is a piece of furniture.

Ottoman was the name for the ruler (or sometimes just a citizen) of the Ottoman Empire, founded by Osman I.