General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

siriusnova
Likes the Wiggles' Cock at 4am

Water on Mars existed for "eons" according to Nasa

I thought this would be a good different discussion for the pit, on the possibility of what it means for other planets in the galaxy, and the search for life in general.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996178

Surface water on Mars existed across a significant span of time, not just for years but eons, suggest new findings made by NASA's Mars rover Opportunity.

Within a few weeks of its landing on Mars in January 2004, Opportunity revealed what was uppermost on the twin rovers' agenda: that bodies of liquid water once existed on the surface of Mars. But the evidence proved what could have been only a solitary event - a single wet episode.

The new discovery, reported by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory on Friday, pushes the boundaries significantly further back, into geological timescales.

After motoring down several metres into a the large Endurance crater, Opportunity has found what science team member Jack Farmer of Arizona State University calls "razorback," a ridge of thin, jagged vertical plates sticking up at the edge of a flat expanse of bedrock.

The team suspects that the ridge is a layer of rock that formed when earlier layers of rock cracked, and mineral-laden water percolated through the cracks leaving deposits behind, forming veins, or "fracture fill". Those deposits formed rock harder than the surrounding material, so as the rock eroded away it left this harder ridge behind. The fractures, Farmer says, may have been caused by the impact that produced the crater...

The rest is at the link..

So now that we know that water has existed on Mars for a long time, and that Mars may have been conditions just like Earth in it's past, what interesting questions does it now bring forth for the existence of life on other planets.

If the conditions on Mars were very much like Earth's at one point in its past, this could mean that Earth is not a unique phenomena, and life could easily abound in the limitless Universe..

discuss....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Yes if it was there long enough to create sedimentary rock formations it could have been there long enough for chemistry to bootstrap itself into a lifeform.

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

I once asked a christian fundamentalist how their religion would hold up if life was found on mars.

Their response was "a meteor in the past blasted part of the earth away, and it was taken to mars and life spread in that fashion"

Said it was backed by biblical text.

I seriously think discoveries such as what might be found on mars are going to create conflicts in religions...

sybil

call me when they find fossils

Kruzen
Internet Redundancy Department of Redundancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta
I once asked a christian fundamentalist how their religion would hold up if life was found on mars.

Their response was "a meteor in the past blasted part of the earth away, and it was taken to mars and life spread in that fashion"

Said it was backed by biblical text.

I seriously think discoveries such as what might be found on mars are going to create conflicts in religions...

while i think that guy's an idiot, he's on the right path.

During the harmonic convergence, mars passed in between earth and the moon. And yes, there is alot of credible scientific evidence supporting it.
KC Date: January 12, 2003 2:37 pm
Release Date: March 08, 2004
r u serios? u cannot b serios
Member of the Seattle [M]afia
Member of the B[M]W Krewe: '90 325i
HI LIBERACE MY NAME IS EVELYN OF ILLIDRAMA (Shoutout to the newfoundwang)

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzen

During the harmonic convergence, mars passed in between earth and the moon. And yes, there is alot of credible scientific evidence supporting it.

OK, Ill buy that--but in my interpretation of what this guy said, its all because god created life on earth and then the meteor happened

Heinrich
Kiddie Corral Material

starfleet > nasa

Nuntius

Mars had water, therefore Mars = Earth? Hmmmm. Even if it did have water, I think we'll find that the conditions for life are probably unique to one planet in this solar system.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil
call me when they find fossils

Whats your phone number? Are you Hot(and female?)

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/meteorites/life.html

http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/mars/

http://www.enterprisemission.com/_ar...silsOnMars.htm

kind of interesting. That last one could easily be a mud bubble that burst and solidified. but it does seem to have a flatened tubular structure with repetitive bands moving down into the rockbed

Euklid

Quote:

are u freaking kidding me? Did they teach you that at church? I call this BS, unless you give me credible sources. I thought the solar system formed from a condensing cloud of interstellar gas that collapsed and heated up, forming a disk of spinning interstellar matter which eventually formed the planets (through accretion and bombardments). My thinking was that the planets formed at the present location where they are found today (except for maybe pluto).

Last edited by Euklid; 07-20-2004 at 10:48 PM..

Kruzen
Internet Redundancy Department of Redundancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euklid
are u freaking kidding me? Did they teach you that at church? I call this BS, unless you give me credible sources. I thought the solar system formed from a condensing cloud of interstellar gas that collapsed and heated up, forming a disk of spinning interstellar matter which eventually formed the planets (through accretion and bombardments). My thinking was that the planets formed at the present location where they are found today (except for maybe pluto).

i believe in the big bang and all, im just saying that at one point in time, the orbits of earth and mars crossed, mars passed between earth and the moon, the gravitational forces changed the orbit permanently.

Mayan history reflects it, as does other things, i'll get you some sources.
KC Date: January 12, 2003 2:37 pm
Release Date: March 08, 2004
r u serios? u cannot b serios
Member of the Seattle [M]afia
Member of the B[M]W Krewe: '90 325i
HI LIBERACE MY NAME IS EVELYN OF ILLIDRAMA (Shoutout to the newfoundwang)

TheMorlock

Quote:
i believe in the big bang and all, im just saying that at one point in time, the orbits of earth and mars crossed, mars passed between earth and the moon, the gravitational forces changed the orbit permanently.

Try and both earth and mars cracked open like eggs and we don't exist

Euklid

Quote:

I don't think this is true, if the Earth and Mars formed closed to each other you would find their compositions to be almost the same, with some differences due to the lesser mass of mars. Also, I don't think Mars could've moved over 30+ million away from earth.

Last edited by Euklid; 07-20-2004 at 11:34 PM..

AKDUDE

Another object could have passed through the system vertical to the plane to effect the orbit of one or the other. Most of the planets axis are pretty much lined up, I think Pluto or one of the outer onese though is total out of alignement from the others.

Rolling_Thunder9

I think the main point in that article is the statement "the earth is not a unique phenomena". That's really what they are looking for.

Water != multicellular life, fossils, etc....

But, if they can find what may be similar to conditions once on earth, then it boosts the hopes of finding it elsewhere in the universe.

I'm excited to see the probes that go to Europa to dig in the ice.

"All of these planets are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

These are rumors on the internets.