General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Mr. Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
Sony is the big bad evil corporation that took away stuff from the users and the hackers are on the side of the people only wanting back what they paid for?

The hackers didn't take down the network, sony did to prevent more people's stuff being stolen.

Also sony was saving credit card info in plain text which is a huge fail on their part.

I don't care who's side the hackers claim to be on, they potentially have my debit card information, they're c*nts and you're a c*nt for defending them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
Where'd you hear that? The article in the OP says there's no evidence of CC info being taken (plain text or encrypted) -- they simply suggest being cautious. Even if it were encrypted, I don't think it'd make a big difference -- monoprice info was encrypted but it did practically nothing to help.

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Fucking PR talk for "they have our details, cancel your cards". Even if it isn't their fault fucking gaping security holes, lack of apology and shitty decisions that affect every online customer make them c*nts and you're a c*nt for defending them.

Fuck the hackers and fuck Sony.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

zerokewl

Quote:
Where'd you hear that? The article in the OP says there's no evidence of CC info being taken (plain text or encrypted) -- they simply suggest being cautious. Even if it were encrypted, I don't think it'd make a big difference -- monoprice info was encrypted but it did practically nothing to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel View Post

I'm ing at sony for being a bunch of fucking dick bags and getting it paid back in full, but then ing because I cant use Netflix. I can use it through my TV but can only see my queue and cant search....

Arrowhead777

Biospider

OP is written by Sony, and their whole system crashing down around them is just a "momentary technical malfunction" in their PR dialect. This PA bit words it perfectly.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/4/25/ :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny-Arcade News 2011/4/25
They have a serious problem here, and as serious as their technology problem might be, it’s not the biggest one they have. Their problem is that they don’t know how to communicate about anything but their legendary prowess. They simply don’t have it. I mean, genetically. They need to find a human being, or hire one, and start an actual dialogue with users.

teh scud

I've used netflix every day. Just try to login, fail, and continue... it does not stop you despite what it says

Gullop
What a waste of a title.

lol only teh scud would try and compare xbox live being intermittent for a couple of weeks around the christmas rush to sony turning the entire system off due to a massive security breach.

zerokewl

Quote:
I've used netflix every day. Just try to login, fail, and continue... it does not stop you despite what it says

It just fails for me? Perhaps Ill try again.

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post

It gives me an error when I try to login, but then I think I press O and just continue. It tries to do it twice while starting up and you have to attempt to login before it'll let you pass (you can't just press O to cancel).

I know that netflix is experimenting with different interfaces on PS3 - not everybody has the same interface, so I guess that could have something to do with it.

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post

I do what scud does

it'll say logging into the psn is required for optimal netflix performance or some shit so you click log in, it'll fail so you hit O, it'll do this one more time but after that you'll be at the main netflix screen and everything will work fine

MooK

We're getting things mixed up here a bit, I think.

The "hackers" are the ones who successfully made use of the Linux installation for "unauthorized" use. The linux installations were removed and the hackers were/are being punished.

The "crackers" (technically the correct term) fought back against Sony. They caused serious "damage" and cracked into the system and downloaded everything.

I see no reason why we should be angry at the crackers, so long as they aren't interested in our personal information.

Really, Sony has fucked up this whole thing from the start. They added a feature to their core software, it was exploited, they removed it and punished the people who were, at the time, harmlessly exploring. This pissed a lot of people off and caused the break-ins to occur, which they were not prepared to deal with (and thus our information was taken.)

Biospider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
We're getting things mixed up here a bit, I think.

The "hackers" are the ones who successfully made use of the Linux installation for "unauthorized" use. The linux installations were removed and the hackers were/are being punished.

The "crackers" (technically the correct term) fought back against Sony. They caused serious "damage" and cracked into the system and downloaded everything.

I see no reason why we should be angry at the crackers, so long as they aren't interested in our personal information.

Really, Sony has fucked up this whole thing from the start. They added a feature to their core software, it was exploited, they removed it and punished the people who were, at the time, harmlessly exploring. This pissed a lot of people off and caused the break-ins to occur, which they were not prepared to deal with (and thus our information was taken.)

The hacker/cracker distinction is vague to me. Didn't the "hackers" in your scenario crack their way into the PS3's lower levels? Hackers toy with code/hardware, crackers use their tools to break into other people's stuff? Anyway, that's how I see it. (fake edit: Wikipedia confirms I'm right to be confused, hot damn -_-)

Anyway.

I'm probably missing huge chunks of the story, but I find it hilarious that this all seems to stem from the arbitraty removal of OtherOS. If they had just left the damn thing alone chances are no one would have dug deep enough to uncover their ridiculous security flaws.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biospider View Post
The hacker/cracker distinction is vague to me. Didn't the "hackers" in your scenario crack their way into the PS3's lower levels? Hackers toy with code/hardware, crackers use their tools to break into other people's stuff? Anyway, that's how I see it. (fake edit: Wikipedia confirms I'm right to be confused, hot damn -_-)

Anyway.

I'm probably missing huge chunks of the story, but I find it hilarious that this all seems to stem from the arbitraty removal of OtherOS. If they had just left the damn thing alone chances are no one would have dug deep enough to uncover their ridiculous security flaws.
I've always defined them as such:

Hacker - someone looking to cause damage
Cracker - someone that enjoys the thrill of getting somewhere that they are not supposed to be.

But I may be way off.

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
Geohot used linux on ps3 to bypass the hypervisor, essentially jailbreaking the ps3 -- that's what started this whole thing. If you were making the decisions at Sony, would you have just given up and accepted the inevitable piracy/cheating that the exploit made possible?

This whole thing is unfortunate, but I can't blame Sony for trying to defend themselves -- I also do not think defending the integrity of their own console justifies further attacks on Sony and their customers.

zerokewl

Quote:
Geohot used linux on ps3 to bypass the hypervisor, essentially jailbreaking the ps3 -- that's what started this whole thing. If you were making the decisions at Sony, would you have just given up and accepted the inevitable piracy/cheating that the exploit made possible?

This whole thing is unfortunate, but I can't blame Sony for trying to defend themselves -- I also do not think defending the integrity of their own console justifies further attacks on Sony and their customers.

It wasn't just a random occurring thing though, it STARTED with Sony just going "oh, Linux? you cant have this anymore cause we dont like you to". After that the Linux/PS3 community spoke up about their distaste for the decision, and Sony just stuck their ass cheeks to the window and said fuck you its our console to a community of thousands of neck beards just waiting to bring them down for their misdeeds. Then the water fall started and here we are today.

Same shit happens with Apple products because they feel like they need to be a bunch of fuck offs with all their shit.

It would be like Microsoft saying I cant install Chrome anymore, cause they dont like me to not use IE. I would be fucking pissed.

Biospider

Quote:

They should have protected their interests by hiring security experts that weren't total retards. The only reason the exploits work in the first place is because of the shitty/lazy work of their own team. Going for GeoHot long after he released all pertinent information just exacerbated the whole situation.

They could have focused their efforts on fixing the situation rather than antagonizing the very people who can bring them to their knees.