General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Palestinian

So let me get this straight. Sony loses all of our information. Some idiot probably has my password and maybe cc# on the black market but I can't even state Sony is fail?

This has never happened on xbox and I don't expect it ever will. This is a huge fail on Sony's part. I have no idea how I broke the rules. Sony fanboys need to get their heads out of their asses with all the apologies. Sony deserves the criticism.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

brunobell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestinian View Post
So let me get this straight. Sony loses all of our information. Some idiot probably has my password and maybe cc# on the black market but I can't even state Sony is fail?

This has never happened on xbox and I don't expect it ever will. This is a huge fail on Sony's part. I have no idea how I broke the rules. Sony fanboys need to get their heads out of their asses with all the apologies. Sony deserves the criticism.

2007: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/x...nts-stolen/131

2010: http://kotaku.com/#!5504145/xbox-liv...d-are-you-next

Do a google search before you post.

fake edit: that's your fault for using an actual credit card and storing the numbers.

teh scud

Quote:

I don't necessarily agree with the statement warranting moderation, but it was a foolish statement. Microsoft has been hacked and could be hacked again in the future -- to think they're somehow immune to it is idiotic.

Gullop
What a waste of a title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobell View Post
2007: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/x...nts-stolen/131

2010: http://kotaku.com/#!5504145/xbox-liv...d-are-you-next

Do a google search before you post.

fake edit: that's your fault for using an actual credit card and storing the numbers.
Hmmmmm now come on, these don't reeeeeeeaaaaaally compare now do they?

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.
Read: SSL. Dumbfucks. They could've at least put a hash+salt on that shit.

ephekt

Quote:
This has never happened on xbox and I don't expect it ever will.
It's only been stated several times in this very thread that this is false. Why do you idiots refuse to read?

Quote:
This is a huge fail on Sony's part. I have no idea how I broke the rules. Sony fanboys need to get their heads out of their asses with all the apologies. Sony deserves the criticism.
As a PS3 owner, I agree. There's no reason to offer apologia. But the people looking like idiots from where I'm standing, are the ones pulling info out of their asses in order to poke fun at "the other team."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobell
that's your fault for using an actual credit card and storing the numbers.
What? A CC is about the best thing you can use imo; it's convenient, and allows you to chargeback any fraudulent charges.

911f0rP34C3
I was about to fap when I looked down and realized I had fucking SWORDS for HANDS!!!!11 <3 creech

I JUST WANT MY NETFLIX GODDAMNIT

_cashel

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911f0rP34C3 View Post

I can get netflix just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the statement warranting moderation, but it was a foolish statement. Microsoft has been hacked and could be hacked again in the future -- to think they're somehow immune to it is idiotic.

It's a blatant troll post

Vandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
It's only been stated several times in this very thread that this is false. Why do you idiots refuse to read?

We're the idiots for reading the info you post and saying "...yea that's not exactly the same thing."

Scale on this is bigger, the older ones weren't even really issues. How many people were affected? One of those articles says it was done using SOCIAL ENGINEERING. Yea we're the idiots for not listening to you.

GG enjoy the fraud. I'll go back to my xbox and enjoy never having to think of this again.

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911f0rP34C3 View Post
Been watching Netflix every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
We're the idiots for reading the info you post and saying "...yea that's not exactly the same thing."

Scale on this is bigger, the older ones weren't even really issues. How many people were affected? One of those articles says it was done using SOCIAL ENGINEERING. Yea we're the idiots for not listening to you.

GG enjoy the fraud. I'll go back to my xbox and enjoy never having to think of this again.
That's typically what I call someone who repeatedly fails to comprehend concise English. For one, I never said they were on the same level, mr. smarmy. Secondly, I own both consoles and remember XBL being down for at least two weeks in 07.

CCs weren't compromised anyway. Everything else makes Sony look like idiots, but are relatively minor issues. If you have 1/2 a braincell, you don't duplicate passwords/reset answers across sites... and PSN doesn't get your SSN. You'll be OK. I'm not even going to bother with my CC, just change my psn pwd. If anything pops up, I'll just do a chargeback and deal with it then.

Last edited by ephekt; 04-28-2011 at 04:18 PM..

teh scud

For the record, I've never tried to argue any hacks on XBL have been on the same scale (though Major Nelson's account being hacked is pretty embarrassing, it's obviously not as damaging). I just think it's stupid to think anybody is immune to hacking -- major companies get hacked; fact of life. You guys give Valve such a hard time when their cybercafe customers' cc info etc was leaked? Even Mastercard was victim of a fuckup like this. Shit like this happens -- if data is stored on a computer connected to the internet, chances are it's not impossible to hack into it. Make a phone call and get a new card issued if you're worried about it.

Last edited by teh scud; 04-28-2011 at 04:20 PM..

ephekt

You're talking to people who know nothing of infosec, and everything about investing their ego into their choice of gaming platform. Expecting reason is apparently a bit beyond the pale.

Disarm

I 100% guarantee that as soon as Microsoft got word of this, they went back and triple checked their infrastructure and log files for anything suspicious and gave a sigh of relief when everything came back clean. You know why they did that? Because they are no more secure than Sony and who ever did this could have easily raped them too if they put the same effort as the Sony attack.

Yeah, go back to playing your Xbox and assume that this can never, ever happen to you too. And keep telling yourself that yearly fee is helping you stay more safe. Ignorance is bliss, huh?

It's hilarious that the exact same company with a reputation for horrible security (Windows and Internet Explorer) can also have a reputation for bulletproof security (Xbox Live) among its users .

Palestinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarm View Post
I 100% guarantee that as soon as Microsoft got word of this, they went back and triple checked their infrastructure and log files for anything suspicious and gave a sigh of relief when everything came back clean. You know why they did that? Because they are no more secure than Sony and who ever did this could have easily raped them too if they put the same effort as the Sony attack.

Yeah, go back to playing your Xbox and assume that this can never, ever happen to you too. And keep telling yourself that yearly fee is helping you stay more safe. Ignorance is bliss, huh?

It's hilarious that the exact same company with a reputation for horrible security (Windows and Internet Explorer) can also have a reputation for bulletproof security (Xbox Live) among its users .

Ya and like you know all religions have extremists; not just Islam.

The reality is Sony got megahacked; xbox never has. That's just the facts. I know a lot of you aren't science majors but some of us care about facts and don't try to make everything equal because we'd be butthurt if our precious system got pwned.

You guys are a bunch of babies; I don't even own an xbox anymore. I only own a ps3 now.