General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Political correctness finally lost a battle!

The background on this issue for my non-Canadian friends is as follows. A few days ago, a lady from Ontario wrote her MP complaining that "in all thy sons command", a line from our national anthem, was offensive because it was not "gender neutral". This is not the first time our national anthem came under fire from the wimps of the PC movement. Back in 1990, the Toronto city council actually wanted to remove "our home and native land" as well out of fear that it might offend immigrants. I'm serious, politicians and some people in Canada actually worry about stupid shit like this. Can you picture that happening in the United States? Can you picture someone wanting to change the Star Spangled Banner because it sounds violent?

In any case, we can all rest assured that, at least this time, logic won the day.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/...al-anthem.html

Quote:
National anthem won't change: PMO

The Conservative government has backed down on a proposal to change the lyrics of Canada's national anthem 'O Canada' after a public outcry. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
The federal government, which sparked controversy after suggesting it might make changes to the lyrics of O Canada, has decided to leave the national anthem alone.

"We offered to hear from Canadians on this issue and they have already spoken loud and clear. They overwhelmingly do not want to open the issue," said Dimitri Soudas, a spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office. "The government will not proceed any further to change our national anthem."

The speech from the throne, delivered by Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean, said Parliament would be asked to review the "original gender-neutral wording of the national anthem."

O Canada includes the lyrics "true patriot love in all thy sons command," and there was some discussion about changing the line to be less gender-specific. The original words contained the line "thou dost in us command."

The proposal sparked a mass outcry from Canadians who objected to any change to the lyrics.

O Canada, with music composed by Calixa Lavallée in 1880, became the national anthem in 1980, replacing God Save the Queen.

Its English lyrics have been adapted several times over the years, but the current version is based on a poem written in 1908 by Stanley Weir.

The official English version now in use incorporates changes recommended in 1968 by a joint committee of MPs and senators that added the lines "from far and wide" and "God keep our land glorious and free!"
I guess the debate about this would be as follows. How insane can the political correctness movement get? At which point can we just tell people to live with traditions and not get so pissy about non-issues? I mean changing the national anthem because some woman was worried about gender-neutrality? That thought honestly has never crossed my mind until now. How about changing it to remove references about your own damn country, I mean can people seriously think like this? How about if you're so damn offended with our national anthem of all things, maybe you're not in the right place!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

thats about as stupid as the people trying to get in god we trust removed from coins. Good on your country

Scatman

Several years ago a shopping mall in my hometown, a really nice one btw that puts up some good Xmas decorations during December, were forced to take them down when a visiting Orthodox Jewish family from Israel complained they were "too Christian."

This is in response to your question of whether stupid shit like this happens in America. Yes, it happens.

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post
Several years ago a shopping mall in my hometown, a really nice one btw that puts up some good Xmas decorations during December, were forced to take them down when a visiting Orthodox Jewish family from Israel complained they were "too Christian."

This is in response to your question of whether stupid shit like this happens in America. Yes, it happens.

Odds are that they chose to take down their stuff to avoid a controversy which could cost them money. I doubt they were actually forced to take down anything down, since that would violate the First Amendment.

Forever Domon

First amendment gets violated all the time. Church in my hometown was actually forced to move their nativity scene inside during the christmas season by the town council since it was "a public display of religion".

So is the giant damned cross on the top of the church, and the big star of david on the synagogue, and a dozen other things.

claw_daddy

it was just to take the attention away from the budget there broseph

SemperFly

There are people in this country pushing to change the anthem because it's too violent.

Those people are called limp-wristed communists.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
First amendment gets violated all the time. Church in my hometown was actually forced to move their nativity scene inside during the christmas season by the town council since it was "a public display of religion".

So is the giant damned cross on the top of the church, and the big star of david on the synagogue, and a dozen other things.

I seriously doubt that would have held up if the church had decided to fight it at all. Public displays of religion are perfectly acceptable everywhere except on government property, so long as they don't violate other zoning laws and such.

Golf(e)

We should wish to change the star spangled banner, as its referring to the war of 1812 and seems to imply that we won the war when really the whole thing was a humiliating failure for all parties involved. Yeah the flag was still there, surrounded by how many corpses? Furthermore, it seems to portray the British as our enemies when in actuality the war was just US imperialism, intent on wiping out the rest of the indians. We dont really like to focus on that part though.

Im not familiar with the candian national anthem but its probably full of shit too

fuck gender neutrality, of course
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post

Oh I know stupid shit of that nature happens in America, but I'm being specific when it comes to something about national identity. The Americans are the best in the world when it comes to pride in their heritage and their values. I don't think I've ever watched an American debate where someone doesn't say "the founding fathers" at least once over the course of it. I can't picture anyone in the US even entertaining the idea of messing with something as cherished as their national anthem, especially if they think it might offend immigrants!

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw_daddy View Post
it was just to take the attention away from the budget there broseph

I've heard that argument, but the opposition parties have no balls so the budget was inevitably going to be passed, even though Michael Ignatieff said "Mr. Harper, YOUR TIME IS UP" back in October. I guess Iggy meant to say Harper's time was up whenever he felt like leaving. Basically what I'm getting as is the Conservatives could have put in anything they wanted in that budget and it would have passed.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
There are people in this country pushing to change the anthem because it's too violent.

Those people are called limp-wristed communists.

OMG are you serious?

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
We should wish to change the star spangled banner, as its referring to the war of 1812 and seems to imply that we won the war when really the whole thing was a humiliating failure for all parties involved. Yeah the flag was still there, surrounded by how many corpses? Furthermore, it seems to portray the British as our enemies when in actuality the war was just US imperialism, intent on wiping out the rest of the indians. We dont really like to focus on that part though.

Im not familiar with the candian national anthem but its probably full of shit too

fuck gender neutrality, of course

Really? I've always loved it. It's a very powerful and inspirational song, and I sing it along with my own anthem whenever I'm at a sporting event. It doesn't specifically reference the British in the song, although at the time of writing it was obvious who it was referencing. Not so anymore, I don't think.

Canada's national anthem was actually initially written in French, and the English version is actually completely different from the English one (they're not a translation of one another, but use the same tune). I like the French one better, personally, although my vote would have gone to The Maple Leaf Forever during the anthem debate back in the '80s if I had a say in it. The French didn't want it too, due to the fact it sounds "pro British". In any case, O Canada doesn't contain any references to violence or the country's past, unlike the Star Spangled Banner.

SemperFly

our anthem needs to retain references to violence

we love blowing shit up.

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Really? I've always loved it. It's a very powerful and inspirational song, and I sing it along with my own anthem whenever I'm at a sporting event. It doesn't specifically reference the British in the song, although at the time of writing it was obvious who it was referencing. Not so anymore, I don't think.
The bombs bursting in air, the flag still being there, this is referring to the Americans defense of Fort Mchenry in Baltimore against the British. But the war ended in a draw, and at any rate the British were only secondary enemies-- our paranoia of Indian tribes becoming unified being the primary cause for this war.

If one is to read the star spangled banner without knowing much else of the history (which many people do, id imagine), it paints a very inaccurate picture of what was going on. Its slanted. Politics as usual eh
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop