General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

AnasSplenium

Decent but Affordable Butterfly Knife?

I'm looking for a new butterfly knife. I have a fifteen dollar piece of crap that I picked up from the local head shop to learn some basic open/closes, but now I'd like one that I can actually carry and use. I'd like to keep it at or under a hundred dollars unless there's a great reason. I'm not doing tricks so the action/weight doesn't have to be perfect, I just want something that will actually hold an edge. Bonus points if anyone knows where these fall under New York knife laws. From what I can tell they are not covered.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

coalesce

I kinda find it hard to believe that they'd be legal to carry in New York... they're referred to as "gravity knives" in the California laws.

gribly

Yeah, those are not even legal for carry in Maine as they are gravity knives.

AnasSplenium

It's possible that I'm wrong, but from this website: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/ny.txt

You would have to be very generous in interpreting a balisong as a gravity knife by that definition, and they also cite a case in which it was ruled to not be a gravity knife.

edit: if anyone has a suggestion for a better type of knife I am open. I just like butterfly knives and am somewhat familiar with them.

coalesce

http://www.coldsteel.com/pasba.html

Blade length might not be what you need for carry, but I saw this earlier while dicking around on the Cold Steel site after reading that shovel thread. Looks like a worthless novelty knife to me but it might be of interest to you.

StarDeath13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
http://www.coldsteel.com/pasba.html

Blade length might not be what you need for carry, but I saw this earlier while dicking around on the Cold Steel site after reading that shovel thread. Looks like a worthless novelty knife to me but it might be of interest to you.
some CS knives i like but i dislike about 90% of thier products.
also Aus8 steel is bunk imo,but better than alll 440/420 steels except 440hc and 440v

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/99/
that forum has pretty reputable sellers,and great prices on pre-owned but new items.
what you want is a good used Benchmade Balisong in cpm154 or a similier steel.
is many differant good steels wich i cant make a list offhand.but just ask and i can hopefully help in picking one.
Benchmade as a company goes way back into making the highest quality knives especially balisongs/butterfly's.
you can also pick up full auto folders thier also,but wouldnt really recomend it due to legal issues.
also Benchmade is about as good as knives get quality wise and high end blade steels.
and are still production knives made in the usa,but alsovery close to custom knife quality.
if i find a good balisong retail site ill link you.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh.../post/new/#NEW
here is a link to a few i think would fit you perfectly with your price range just a tad higher.
all high quality,but id have to research wich would be the better value.
also knives move fast on that foum,but balisongs move slow so you have longer to decide andusually better than average prices.

Last edited by StarDeath13; 04-10-2009 at 10:02 PM..

StarDeath13

McMahan

Yep, definitely go Benchmade. Might be slightly above what you were looking to spend but it will be a lifetime investment. I also have one of the Cold Steel balis but I would definitely go Benchmade first. A standard model 42 would be perfect. Here's a comparison shot between the Cold Steel and some different Benchmades- Cold Steel is on top, Benchmades are the bottom four-

I started looking through my old files and found this vid I made YEARS ago, I'm pretty sure it is with a Benchmade 42. You can make it fly with some practice-

VID

StarDeath13

i highley agree,and im sure the OP would like to see me stop posting as im a bit overzealous at times.
but to get a good price of $100-$125 on a benchmade it takes a bit of patience and a bit of luck to be in the right place at the right time.
these are $280- $350 knives,but luckily i feel balisongs arent in high demand and are sold cheap to recoup some costs.

also spyderco is a good brand to look for also,even tho i prefer benchmade knives.as stated above this is something that will last a lifetime.even if you break it by doing something stupid it may not be covered by the warrenty,BUT you can send it back in for repair at reasonable prices,with usually free lifetime sharpening.
and when i say sharp i mean razor sharp you can shave with.

about that vid,if i were to try doing that with a BM bali id have 2 fingers left on my hand,nice!
definetly a trainer bali would be in order for some.

McMahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDeath13 View Post
i highley agree,and im sure the OP would like to see me stop posting as im a bit overzealous at times.
but to get a good price of $100-$125 on a benchmade it takes a bit of patience and a bit of luck to be in the right place at the right time.
these are $280- $350 knives,but luckily i feel balisongs arent in high demand and are sold cheap to recoup some costs.

also spyderco is a good brand to look for also,even tho i prefer benchmade knives.as stated above this is something that will last a lifetime.even if you break it by doing something stupid it may not be covered by the warrenty,BUT you can send it back in for repair at reasonable prices,with usually free lifetime sharpening.
and when i say sharp i mean razor sharp you can shave with.

about that vid,if i were to try doing that with a BM bali id have 2 fingers left on my hand,nice!
definetly a trainer bali would be in order for some.

Yeah Spyderco is decent, I picked up a pair of Szabofly's when they were reintroduced awhile back. They look pretty sweet but as far as utility/flipping goes I'm not so sure. IMO Benchmade build quality is a step up from the Spyderco offerings. For those that haven't seen the szabofly-

Haha as far as the vid I was a bit more dedicated to the craft back then, I remember practicing for hours at a time back in the day. Had the cuts to show for it too, if you look closely you'll see a bandaid on my index finger at the end.

StarDeath13

yeh i still prefer BM over spyderco,but they arent far behind tho.
they are a high end production knife,but make some low end knives with decent quality.
i like kershaw about the same as spydies.
then buck under them.
that is one wicked ass bali,my fingers hurt just looking at it.
also i wish the BM's would drop in value a bit more over new prices.but they hold thier value so well you could almost use them as collectibles and make a profit after a few years.