General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DigitalChaos

Water filtration?

What is a good portable water filtration system out there? Everything out there is labeled to show you what it catches, not what it DOESN'T catch.
What filters work for what situations? I assume you can make clean water out of just about any water unless it was contaminated by nuclear fallout?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
What is a good portable water filtration system out there? Everything out there is labeled to show you what it catches, not what it DOESN'T catch.
What filters work for what situations? I assume you can make clean water out of just about any water unless it was contaminated by nuclear fallout?

For short term needs: http://www.safetycentral.com/fronporwatfi.html

For a little more: http://products.katadyn.com/brands-a...Series_25.html

Also, you can use a solar still to distill and purify most really crappy water...

prometheum

distilling it with a solar still would probably be the cheapest way to do it and i'm pretty certain even if it was contaminated by nuclear fallout it could be filtered out

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Cup + firesteel + tinder

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Cup + firesteel + tinder

boiling doesn't help with dirt...you need to add a sock or t-shirt to filter still.

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay View Post
boiling doesn't help with dirt...you need to add a sock or t-shirt to filter still.

Correct. But that's not such a big deal. Another idea is to keep a package of plastic bags and rubber bands in my emergency pack. You can tie them around a few dense tree branches to hold moisture and voila, lots of mini stills

Of course, the Katadyn stuff you linked is UBER

Last edited by Vendetta; 04-12-2009 at 01:14 PM..

DigitalChaos

I did some research. Particle filtration will get rid of the majority of stuff (including most fallout). Some virii can still slip through and that is where iodine or chlorine comes in. Some of the Katadyn products have iodinized resin for that. Then the only remaining thing is chemical contaminants. The best for that is activated carbon. This will absorb a lot of crap (but not all) and makes the water taste good.

Saxman924

Polar Pure. Really convenient way to use iodine. Has indefinite shelf life.

http://www.polarequipment.com/

darkninja67
I love everything about Boston, including the 2 time World Champion Patriots, The World Champion Red

I used a Katadyn filter in an emergency once while backpacking. Solid units.

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman924 View Post
Polar Pure. Really convenient way to use iodine. Has indefinite shelf life.

http://www.polarequipment.com/

I have several of these stocked up. REALLY easy to use. One capful to a nalgene bottle, wait an hour. They last forever, and I don't think they ever really run out either. When the bottle is empty, just refill it with water and wait an hour to use it again. I am sure that you can eventually use up all the iodine crystals, but I have never seen it done.

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

I have iodine tablets for emergency but I've been using the miniworks filter from MSR for years when backpacking, fishing, hunting, climbing, etc... it's the best water filter I've ever used and I've tried tons of them. it's a ceramic filter with charcoal and one cartridge lasts for a long ass time, the cartridges can also be cleaned and are good as new then.

it also screws right on to your standard wide mouth nalgene so that's cool too.

Saxman924

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcheese View Post
I have several of these stocked up. REALLY easy to use. One capful to a nalgene bottle, wait an hour. They last forever, and I don't think they ever really run out either. When the bottle is empty, just refill it with water and wait an hour to use it again. I am sure that you can eventually use up all the iodine crystals, but I have never seen it done.

Actually, it only takes 20-30 minutes for polar pure to work for a nalgene. However, it takes an hour to "charge" the water in the little polar pure bottle. If that wasn't a typo you can now save a lot of time.