General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
DPhrag
 
DPhrag's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
Yes, your perception of military training seems to have been influenced a bit by fiction.


Much of what you mentioned falls within what the infantry is taught to some degree. However you later mention many specialties that are completely different disciplines. Your expectations encompass a large spectrum of specialties.

"So far I do hand to hand combat (krav), started shooting at the range, but I want to learn stuff like stealth/concealment, tactics/strategy, working in a small unit"
These are more or less basic infantry skills.

"negotiations"
This is usually a function of Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations (PSYOPS) specialists.

"interrogation"
Interrogation is a specialized subset of Military Intelligence people.

"acquiring/gathering information"
In a general sense, this a skillset taught to all combat arms military personnel. But I'm pretty sure that what you are talking about is something again in the realm of the Military Intelligence community. There are people that are trained to deal with only specific types of information. Just to name a few, there is HUMINT, IMINT, TECHINT, SIGINT, etc... Some interrogate and waterboard people. Some look at satellite pics all day. Some study the technology of the enemy. Some intercept cellphone conversations, etc. I could go on.


"infiltration of bases/buildings, using optics and other military equipment etc"
This is a pretty broad statement, and could fall under a lot of different specialties.


Though there is nothing wrong with increasing your skillset, just realize that none of us will ever be whatever movie character it is that is influencing your interests.



As for me, I'm going to PSYOPS school in September, which will be quite a change from all other military training I have so far received.

So what you're saying is that it's really only worth training at one thing to be any good at it?

With the buildings thing.. you know how on movies the guy/team always seems to be able to get pretty far into the compound or whatever without being detected. Do they practice things like that?
__________________
._--_|\
/ Gold Coast, u no how we do.
\_.--._ /
.......v

:-*
millions of people have done what do can now cannot
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM DPhrag is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BPJ
 
BPJ's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPhrag View Post
So what you're saying is that it's really only worth training at one thing to be any good at it?

With the buildings thing.. you know how on movies the guy/team always seems to be able to get pretty far into the compound or whatever without being detected. Do they practice things like that?

Well it also comes down to a single person only being able to train so much.

Someone trained in say, translating Farsi, Spanish and French will never be as good as a translator working solely in Farsi. Generally speaking (ha, pun not intended).
__________________
I like wood. Like it so much I wrote a poem about it.

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM BPJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPhrag View Post
So what you're saying is that it's really only worth training at one thing to be any good at it?

With the buildings thing.. you know how on movies the guy/team always seems to be able to get pretty far into the compound or whatever without being detected. Do they practice things like that?

it's never one guy by himself. that kind of stuff truly is just hollywood
Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Schaden
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
As for me, I'm going to PSYOPS school in September, which will be quite a change from all other military training I have so far received.

I one read you can't go PSYOPS if you've been in the peace core. Ask your recruiter if that's true.

What a trip. Many military specialties require clean backgrouds for security clearances, but I thought that was an odd exclusion. They must think one is not predisposed to the job requirements.

Maybe you'll be tasked to "explain away" UFO sightings.

The Air Force report on Roswell in the 1990s, was written by an Air Force Colonel Weaver, a trained disinformation specialist. Read up on the CIA Robertson Panel.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM Schaden is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

BPJ
 
BPJ's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
I one read you can't go PSYOPS if you've been in the peace core. Ask your recruiter if that's true.

What a trip. Many military specialties require clean backgrouds for security clearances, but I thought that was an odd exclusion. They must think one is not predisposed to the job requirements.

Maybe you'll be tasked to "explain away" UFO sightings.

The Air Force report on Roswell in the 1990s, was written by an Air Force Colonel Weaver, a trained disinformation specialist. Read up on the CIA Robertson Panel.

I believe that policy has been done away with.

I think it had to do with a conflict on interest. Peace corp people seen as being government intelligence agents and the peace corp not being able to do their jobs in whichever country they are in.
__________________
I like wood. Like it so much I wrote a poem about it.

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM BPJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

00 Buck
 
I have thought about this also.

As a civilian/hobbiest you can get really good in techniques, but to really know tactics you must join military/LEO.


Lots of tactics like room clearing and stuffs are dangerous as hell and require at least 2 people of decent skill...

LEGAL civilian uses of firearms are defensive/recreational in nature, and these tactics aren't really practical nor necessary for most of us civies IMO.

I think training schools like Tactical Response offer some team tactic classes to civilians though.

Edit: This only covers shooting. I guess for survival shit, you can pick up some books or something..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 AM 00 Buck is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth
 
Baloneyflaps.'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPhrag View Post
So what you're saying is that it's really only worth training at one thing to be any good at it?

With the buildings thing.. you know how on movies the guy/team always seems to be able to get pretty far into the compound or whatever without being detected. Do they practice things like that?

I'm not at all saying that someone cannot be good in many areas. Special forces tend to have a broad range of skills, but even among those teams, there are specialists. In SF teams there will often be guys with specialties. Medic, sniper, exposives/demolition, etc.

This might be a poor analogy, but think about it this way: It is entirely possible for someone to achieve a PhD in theoretical physics, neuroscience; and constitutional law- but when was the last time you heard about someone having a doctorate in all three?
__________________
This signature is metal as fuck. Is yours?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM Baloneyflaps. is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchies View Post
And you can try to put it into practice by playing airsoft with the right people. Yeah, it sounds lame, but it's fun and safe.

You know I really have to second this. Although by no means a huge part of my life, I occasionally do airsoft. I am often near Quantico, and there are ALWAYS infantry/SF/etc guys there that are practicing or just getting some play time. They teach me a lot, just by going through different scenarios.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

adamtnet
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
I'm not at all saying that someone cannot be good in many areas. Special forces tend to have a broad range of skills, but even among those teams, there are specialists. In SF teams there will often be guys with specialties. Medic, sniper, exposives/demolition, etc.

This might be a poor analogy, but think about it this way: It is entirely possible for someone to achieve a PhD in theoretical physics, neuroscience; and constitutional law- but when was the last time you heard about someone having a doctorate in all three?

on each oda( Operational Detachment Alpha ) team there is a, medic seargent a 18d , commo seargent 18e, enginner seargent 18c, weapons seargent 18b and a commander18a , and a intel guy18f, and team dady too a 18z whos an e8 or above
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 AM adamtnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

Saxman924
 
Well bringing this back to a survival scenario.

Odds are people won't know anything about these topics.

Thus, just having a beginner-intermediate understanding and ability to execute these types of things would be a HUGE advantage.

Of course he won't be as good as someone who specializes. What are the chances that you, in a survival situation, could build a crew that had all the right parts?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM Saxman924 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

adamtnet
 
i live in the right parts, i got machine guns and like 400 m4's 200 feet from ware i live, and and type of up armoered vehicle 1/2 mile away, and all the satcom equipment needed to talk to higher ups
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM adamtnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.