General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
We need a how to thread for preparing various meats.

do you mean how to actually cook meat or how to field dress/clean a kill or catch, cause if it's the latter it ought to be common knowledge and if for some reason you don't know and don't have to common sense to figure it out I'm not sure that you deserve to survive.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

field dress/clean your kill was what I meant.

I know how to cook it (food + heat)

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

field dressing / cleaning is easy

Make a cut from the neck to the groin and work your way out to around the back.
When you get to the legs, cut around them in a circle and do them separately. Same with the neck.
Skin the legs, and you're done.

Cleaning..... Don't puncture the stomach or guts till you have all the skin off. Turn the animal on its side and dig out all the organs and you've just gutted an animal.

Cut it into manageable pieces and return to camp/truck to butcher it or take it home and hang it

Disclaimer: This was the short version for people who I'm assuming have seen it done at least once or have any logical thinking abilities

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

Last edited by Gearhead; 03-30-2009 at 01:02 AM..

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

I don't think I'd have much of a problem with the skinning and cleaning of a carcass, I just think I'd be a pussy about having to kill one of my own animals that I raised if it came to it. And by that I mean livestock, not my dogs. They will eat what's left of me after I starve to death before I eat them.

Also, a slingshot/wrist rocket will take out rabbits nicely if you use fishing weights or decently sized ball bearings for ammo. If you miss you won't scare your prey too far away and you won't attract unwanted attention. I used to hunt rabbits for sport on the golf course near my house in so-cal this way around dusk when I was younger. There were literally hundreds of them everywhere. If you want some rabbit in so-cal check out the north ranch country club golf course.

A decent .22 pellet gun (pump action/spring air not CO2) might be a useful survival tool for taking small game without attracting too much attention as well. They can pack a pretty good punch. A .22 cal gun that takes .22 short rounds could be good too. .22 shorts don't make much more noise than a high powered pellet gun does and a real firearm provides for quick follow up shots.

Also, someone mentioned before that areas with cold winters/snow were bad but they can also provide free long term cold meat storage as well. If you are prepared for the territory and have taken steps to prepare for winter, colder climates are not so bad. And cold weather will weed out most marauders and those who aren't prepared without you needing to lift a finger. Warmer climates will likely turn more lord of the flies-ish as winter approaches and swelling populations from colder climes compete for dwindling food supplies.

Seriously Sanjay, you probably don't want to be anywhere near the LA area or any other large metropolitan area like that if things go bad unless you have an armored bunker to hide out in for the first month or so while most of the people die/kill each other off around you. Even then you'd want to have a "beta site" to get to when you did emerge from your bunker.

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
field dressing / cleaning is easy

Make a cut from the neck to the groin and work your way out to around the back.
When you get to the legs, cut around them in a circle and do them separately. Same with the neck.
Skin the legs, and you're done.

Cleaning..... Don't puncture the stomach or guts till you have all the skin off. Turn the animal on its side and dig out all the organs and you've just gutted an animal.

Cut it into manageable pieces and return to camp/truck to butcher it or take it home and hang it

Disclaimer: This was the short version for people who I'm assuming have seen it done at least once or have any logical thinking abilities

I was hoping for

yeah, I'm morbid like that.

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
I was hoping for

there are some youtubes about field dressing deer. Elk and moose are the same but bigger and more of a pain in the ass. a big difference is with deer you'll tend to carry the body whole back to camp or your truck, but with something big like an elk or a moose you'll clean it and quarter it in the field and you have to wrap your parts in trash bags or something similar so you can pack it out making a number of trips. If you shoot a large elk you end up doing a LOT of hiking.

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Deer Jerky

sanjay

I like this guys videos:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

He makes it seem very natural and easy to skin and eat critters...

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

nice find

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
I was hoping for

I used to have pictures of my last caribou hunt but I have no idea where they are

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division