General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMisfit View Post
Anything that can survive in climates as cold as Siberia, to the deserts of Egypt, and everything in between....I'll take an AK.

Only plus to the AR is the abundance of surplus .223 to be found in this country.

I've seen the stocks on an AK fall apart when using a nade launcher. Then again, I'd just go synthetic stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
weight and limited ammo capacity though ++

only if your limp wristed commie punk that can't handle the weight!
The weight is good, when you butt smack somebody it will really hurt them or you can swing it around like a club and do some real damage.

SmashingPumpkins

i'd say m1 garand > ak > ar for shtf scenario

but for anything other than the absolute need, the ar's gonna pwn the fuck out of the rest.

it's a great gun, but it has it's faults in a truly shtf scenario

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unflushable Turd View Post
only if your limp wristed commie punk that can't handle the weight!
The weight is good, when you butt smack somebody it will really hurt them or you can swing it around like a club and do some real damage.

never said i couldn't handle it, i'm all about using the biggest bullets possible (overkill is underrated), just thinking in a shtf situation i'd want something a little lighter and be able to carry more ammo along with the rest of my supplies.

Caelum

AR for sure. I had some serious malfunctions with my AK and wont be using them again. Ever. Theyre heavier, theyre mags are heavier and they rounds are heavier. You can say whatever you want about being a pussy but if youre on the move...why would you voluntarily put more weight on your shoulders when you could have a more accurate and just as lethal (if not more lethal due to accuracy) for less weight.

Seems pretty clear to me.
And to the bolt action guys, let me just say I want to come hang out at your house where you'll never get surprised or miss at close range. Cause you only have one shot if youre in close with a BA...miss and youre fucked. Bolt action would be the LAST weapon I picked up for SHTF lol.
Unless I'm hunting some food even then prob not. Prob be hunting small game more than big anyway so wouldnt want to disentigrate a rabbit with a 308 or 30.06.

drx
Kruz3n

AR, but only if I had to choose between these two.

If we're talking my actual choice, it'd be a garand or m14.

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz3n View Post
AR, but only if I had to choose between these two.

If we're talking my actual choice, it'd be a garand or m14.

The thread is based on what I actually have available to me at the moment

g0rg0n
Jim Zorn took my job, that MOTHER FUCKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
AR for sure. I had some serious malfunctions with my AK and wont be using them again. Ever. Theyre heavier, theyre mags are heavier and they rounds are heavier. You can say whatever you want about being a pussy but if youre on the move...why would you voluntarily put more weight on your shoulders when you could have a more accurate and just as lethal (if not more lethal due to accuracy) for less weight.

Seems pretty clear to me.
And to the bolt action guys, let me just say I want to come hang out at your house where you'll never get surprised or miss at close range. Cause you only have one shot if youre in close with a BA...miss and youre fucked. Bolt action would be the LAST weapon I picked up for SHTF lol.
Unless I'm hunting some food even then prob not. Prob be hunting small game more than big anyway so wouldnt want to disentigrate a rabbit with a 308 or 30.06.
I find it really interesting that you assume that SHTF automatically means you're going to be in a fire fight with someone.

SmashingPumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
I find it really interesting that you assume that SHTF automatically means you're going to be in a fire fight with someone.

some people search for reasons to use their weapons. I search for reasons not to.

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:

Well what else does "shit hits the fan" mean? I'm certainly not advocating looking for trouble, but when we talk SHTF we're talking about using our weapons, are we not? We're not talking about peacefully farming by ourselves at our country retreat while the cities crumble.

Caelum

Quote:

I kind of find it naive that you would think that with all law and all society broken down that people will be nice and all hand shakingly welcoming.

I'm not saying I'll start some shit, but what I am saying is that if I were to walk from point A to point B, I'm going to carry a weapon to draw down on someone. People are not to be trusted. Whats the saying, locks keep honest people honest. I feel laws are the same way. Without them, most people will do whatever they can for self preservation

If you had all the drinking water in the world in your back yard, do you really think that everyone that comes to your door is going to ask politely for something to drink?
I will. But you're not my neighbor and I have to get to you and once I get there you might need me to help protect your water in exchange for a shower once a month.

Plus, SHTF also can mean zombies right cause those guys like hide in closets. No bolt action for me for house clearing

Firehawk0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashingPumpkins View Post
AK, no plastic shit, made to be fired while dirty as fuck

fuck accuracy, fuck everything. The point is, when you need it to, when you pull that trigger in the worst of circumstances, which one will work.

obvious answer is AK.

plus you can't hit someone with the butt of a AR, but you can knock them to the ground with the AK.

Funny, at the range the AK guys have stoppages fairly often while my AR's don't.

The AK's 7.62x39mm ammunition is more powerful while the 5.45x39mm ammunition is about the same as the 5.56x45mm ammunition. Another key factor not being considered here is the availability of ammunition when and if you'll need to resupply. AR-15 compatible ammunition is much more common in this country than the Russian caliber ammunition is.

vile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk0220 View Post
Another key factor not being considered here is the availability of ammunition when and if you'll need to resupply. AR-15 compatible ammunition is much more common in this country than the Russian caliber ammunition is.

EXACTLY. My friend has BOXES of .223 for his Mini-14, and there isnt a Wal-mart around that doesnt sell .223.

I dont think I have ever seen the 7.62x39 sold anywhere commercially.

Hobestly, I'd go with the AR SOLELY on ammo availability. If you've already stocked up on ammo, well then AK-it-up!

GMF
sucked dick for crate face

Accurate. Reliable. Powerful. Low fucking maintenance. I'm going with this:

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
e. Cause you only have one shot if youre in close with a BA...miss and youre fucked. Bolt action would be the LAST weapon I picked up for SHTF lol.

You have to be a complete noob to miss with a bolt action at close range. Even if you miss, you can just bayonet him later. Also who is to say that if you miss the first time your dead?
I can work the bolt on my M44 pretty fast so if the first shot misses, the second shot won't.
Bolt actions are the best for SHTF, they'll always work and you can intimidate people with a bayonet and huge muzzle flash. I'm talking about the mosin nagant 44 here, bayonet permanently attached, a neat handy little weapon that can do some real damage.