General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DigitalChaos

wtf
Do do you just read half of every news article?

The new strain was identified as a combination of several different strains of Influenzavirus A, subtype H1N1, including separate strains of this subtype circulating in humans and in pigs. The strain transmits between humans and has been reported to have a relatively high mortality rate in Mexico. The WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease CDC have expressed serious concerns that the new strain has the potential to become an influenza pandemic.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. There is nothing more kneejerk than Western media, and it's the job of the CDC to report on the "possibility" of an event. That doesn't mean that we paranoid Americans are in danger of dying by the thousand. You dig the bunker, I'll watch t.v.

Wiseass

So I assume this strain of the Swine flu is different than the one from 1976?

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...dayintech_0324

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku

This one is totally different. This is the one that Stephen King wrote about that will wipe out the universe.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmo View Post
Swine flu is no more profound than ordinary flu.

You are worse than the news. You spread ignorance. At least their spreading of fear will be productive.

The regular flu is endemic
This flu is epidemic

An endemic is a disease that has reached a steady state. The normal flu kills a good number of people, and will do so year after year. But basically next year's seasonal flu will kill about the same general amount of people that last years did. Give or take.

An epidemic is a disease that is still growing in scope. And one we may not know what it's steady state is at. This is also a disease which has killed about 100 people out of about 1600 known cases. Thats about a 6% fatality rate. Which isn't terrible overall, but is still 600 times worse than a disease that already kills tens of thousands of people a year. That isn't a fun situation.

The fact a .01% fatality rate kills many thousands of people every year is a good indication on why flus can be really dangerous. And why a new one is big news.

cliffs: you are still a giant ignorant retard

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku

Uh huh.

And just because this is the Armageddon forum doesn't mean you need to spread doom and gloom about a disease that hasn't even killed any Americans yet. What HAS the disease done? Given them flu-like symptoms.

But wait, that's way more profound than the ordinary flu. You're right.

DigitalChaos

It went completely over your head. awesome

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard

I don't know what DC is worried about. The innovative technology that is twitter will save those "smart" enough to know its power.

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
It went completely over your head. awesome

I guess so. Either way nothing has happened though. So grats, I guess. LOL INTERNET VICTORY

Ziggy

Apparently 2 people just came back from a trip from mexico and contracted the swine flu....they lip in Kingston, Ontario, Canada