General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Need a simple to use backup application

So I was using synctoy set to echo and it would mess up all the time, mostly it would fail to delete files on the backup drive so it would grow all the time.

I then got Acronis true image. I upgraded from version 10 -> 11 and it turns out you cant open old version archives with the new version. So I tried to delete the archive and make a new one. Couldnt delete it, hit delete and it came back. After finally wiping the app, the archive and manually cleaning my registry I was able to reclaim my space. Now I cant re-install acronis 11 because it still thinks its install

So what else is available? Something brain dead simple like sync toy but actually works.

I have a software raid 5 in my machine but im paranoid so I keep a copy of the important stuff on an external.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

fieroloki

What version of Synctoy did you use? I have no issues with it.

Typhoon43

synctoy works like a champ if you actually configure it properly. 99% of the time it's because you didn't grant admin rights to the actual scheduler.

SyncBack SE works well too.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

I dont run scheduled backups, I just know that once a month I need to turn on the external drive and run the program.

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

i use the one in windows 7

works fine

ERL857

storagecraft desktop edition

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Buy a two bay NAS, set it up with two 2TB drives in RAID1 and voila - external backup. That is, in a sense, how I do my storage. I have a RAID5 array on my media server with an allotment for computer backups. The array is, admittedly, on a hardware RAID controller (LSi 8408e) but the box has dual purpose so its not really an overkill... in your case, a small twin drive NAS would work just fine - no need to do anything on your own machine - just set windows backups to kick in once a week.

JohnGeek

Try Handy Backup, it's simple to use and reliable backup application.

Jehannum

rsync -e ssh -av source user@targethost:targetdir/

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Lurker

Fuck it, went back to synctoy. Stupid simple, and it works. ill just delete everything once in a while and make a new backup.