General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ytzombe
No place better than the Lone Star State!

So who is excited about Denali?

I saw MS's demo of Denali at last weeks SharePoint conference. I am impressed by what MS has shown, the fail over aspect will be insane. Honestly I think Denali will only be virtual unless used in some hardcore applications.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

evildre

I've been paying closer attention to Windows Server 8/Hyper-V 3.0, given that we're using Hyper-V 2.1 in production at the moment. Love the idea of live migration without shared storage. However, I have a copy of Denali Express CTP3 sitting on my workstation in the office just begging to be installed

ytzombe

Server 8 is going to be nuts with Hyper-V. I think I will need to find some lab space for Denali, I have the bits but not a free server.

DlStreamnet

What's the best way to get into this virtualization and SQL game?? Build a lab?? Read??

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

I hate Hyper-V, its supported list of OS's is very slim and even if you can get the OS to load, the chances of it working with the virtual network adapters is even slimmer.

I hope 3.0 will improve OS compatibility.

ytzombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlStreamnet View Post
What's the best way to get into this virtualization and SQL game?? Build a lab?? Read??

build a lab. Hands on is always the best way.

ytzombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
I hate Hyper-V, its supported list of OS's is very slim and even if you can get the OS to load, the chances of it working with the virtual network adapters is even slimmer.

I hope 3.0 will improve OS compatibility.

works great with Windows 2008R2.

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytzombe View Post
works great with Windows 2008R2.

Of course it works good with Windows Guests.

Have fun trying to install a BSD or a Solaris based guest.

evildre

I know it's not Solaris or BSD, but I've got somewhere around 6 or 7 CentOS VMs running in our in-office Hyper-V environment: one Squid proxy and 5 or 6 DR machines for a company we acquired. I don't even think CentOS is on the compatibility list ... we're a Microsoft shop so I don't bother checking that list with any degree of regularity, given that we're running Windows Server 2008 R2 on 95% of our servers and Windows 7 Enterprise on every workstation. We have several Windows 7 VMs (one for each department, basically) that we update regularly and clone for WDS capture purposes. Makes our lives much easier.

Loving the dynamic memory feature that was introduced in Hyper-V 2.1. I know it was available in other solutions before, but other solutions don't interest me at this stage because we've standardized and are staying on Hyper-V. Over half of our servers have dynamic memory enabled and we're able to cram a lot more VMs onto the physical hosts based on our normal usage patterns.

Just heard from high-up sources within the company that we're going to start recommending/shipping Denali as soon as it's available, though, and we'll probably install it in our hosting environment the weekend it's released ... it's going to be totally sweet.

Last edited by evildre; 10-20-2011 at 07:53 PM..