General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

yeah the 10v is well represented on this HCL, I'm just hesitant to go the netbook route for something I'm going to use on a regular basis

(tiny keyboard tiny screen etc)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Other than installing stuff I rarely had to do anything to people's macs. Whenever they start fucking up it's because of the battery or the screen going dim or some crap - software wise Mac users stick to internet and some kind of chat. I'm not saying don't bother to learn it but there's not that much to learn.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Other than installing stuff I rarely had to do anything to people's macs. Whenever they start fucking up it's because of the battery or the screen going dim or some crap - software wise Mac users stick to internet and some kind of chat. I'm not saying don't bother to learn it but there's not that much to learn.

Yeah that's not the first time I've heard that.

Here's the thing. If I walked into a Mac users house and they told me "I want to share my printer" or "I want to watch this video and quicktime can't play it" any problem you name it I would have to sit down and secretly "learn as I go..." If I pitch myself into OSX, I'll learn all kinds of tips and tricks, do the googling required to learn what I need on my own time, not while the customer is leering over my shoulder.

I suppose the same thing could be achieved by virtualizing or even dual booting an OSX environment on my main box and I could save some cash. But I need a laptop anyway so why not make it a little more interesting?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

ebay sellers stating the g550 is a netbook...

15.5" screen on a netbook

a six pound netbook...

hmmm

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

wanna buy an imac?

JoePits
this shit right here is some HARDCORE SHIT -- its made from PLANT SHIT

JoePits
this shit right here is some HARDCORE SHIT -- its made from PLANT SHIT

probably the best boot cd out there. still can be a pain in the arse tho.

d114

I had os10.6.6 running on a lenovo s10e. I had some issues with the sleep kexts but it installed OK. It never worked as well as the real thing though. If you do try the c2d route, run top and compare macs - (not activity monitor) and you might get the picture...

Instead of getting a PC laptop and running linux under vmware, I wound up getting a real macbook and use terminal instead. It's not too steep a learning curve from dos so you'll do ok. (ls for dir, etc) I can spend all day in the field without having to recharge and it's much faster/lighter than the toughbooks. It's just as easy to carry as the s10 and much easier to use. when I first got it I was using vmware fusion with 7/64 until I could port the rest of the software over but now I think I'll remove that image and put ubuntu on there.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Major fucking necrobump here but I really didn't think this deserved it's own thread given how fucking easy this was to do...

I have reason to believe that my previous attempts didn't actually FAIL, I just said "FUCK... Graphics acceleration isn't working cuz the dock isn't magnifying"

When in actuality, magnify is disabled by default..

I hope I'm wrong though.

What's working:
QE (graphics acceleration)
LAN
Touchpad AND eraserhead
Reboot (thanks to OSXRestart.kext

Not working:
Existing internal Intel WiFi card... There's a Dell unit I can swap to for fairly cheap so I don't have to use that honking USB adapter you see poking out on the left
Memory card reader
Shut-down... Basically just have to give it a minute then hold the power button down which does suck,
Sleep... who cares this thing is always plugged in. The display does turn off at least.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 10-09-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Killer_B

The entire hackintosh business seems a bit odd to me...Granted, I realize it's for those that aren't into paying the premium for hardware that's 2-3 generations old already.

It's weird to subject oneself to having some/everything break every time a security patch comes out, though.

Maybe now that Steve has kicked off, (too soon?) maybe somewhere down the road someone might look at relaxing the Mac OS's EULA a bit so I don't know...People can play with this shit regardless of what their hardware is?

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Grazehell

You do freelance computer repair? Hopefully the thought process and problem solving approach is entirely different from the way you go about repairing your cars.

Edit:// Just read your last post and I have concluded, I would never let you near my fucking computer.

Scatman

I'll be honest, I've never heard of freelance Mac repair. Usually people bring their Mac hardware to an Apple store or send it in to get something fixed... or buy a replacement outright.

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post
I'll be honest, I've never heard of freelance Mac repair. Usually people bring their Mac hardware to an Apple store or send it in to get something fixed... or buy a replacement outright.

If you are having say, networking issues with a mac when paired with a Windows PC/Windows environment , I dont see them taking to an Apple store or replacing it.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Believe me it does come up.

Not everybody has the cash, the time, or the warranty coverage or... I don't know... the... boldness? to walk into a store as a complete novice and ask for help. Personalized, one-on-one help in the home is a lot of what I do, training etcetera.

There's a little old lady I spend like an hour with every month, I spend half of the session fixing things she's broken but I try to show her new things she can do with her computer... Apple users need the same handholding I would say.

<edit> and if I'm fumbling around not knowing where shit is, it just looks BAD.

<edit2> and I spend a lot of time supporting my friends' apple products... it would be nice not to have to google every last little detail of how to get shit done.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 10-09-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
ebay?

messican under the overpass.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~