General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Anyone have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1?

I'm pretty positive this is the device I'm going to buy, but was wondering if anyone here had one?

I plan to use it at trade shows in pair with the new Quickbooks app so I can take orders and create estimates in real time and sync it later.

One question I had, was the adapters. I read this site: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08...-tab-adapters/ and they show the HDMI one. It talks about output this, output that, but can it be used as an INPUT? I'd like to hook my xbox up to it on road trips.

Overall thoughts, comments, concerns? Should I wait to buy it or is the price going to stay steady now through the end of the year?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

pretty sure the hdmi would be output only

fieroloki

What he said ^^ Output only

Grazehell

It's output only!

eNforcer
wigglesworth

I think it's output only.

Typhoon43

Output only.

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

in case this hasn't been covered, pretty sure it's output only

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Ok output only, got it. Wait, I can use it as input you guys are saying?

But really, does anyone have one and have feedback?

_cashel

I was waiting for one but couldn't hold out and ended up getting an iPad 2. After playing with one in the store, it's a great piece of hardware, but I'm glad I went with the iPad primarily because of the lack of decent tablet apps available for the Android tablets as opposed to the iPad where there's plenty.

Aldaris

Output only dude, bummer man. Drag.

ph00ny

i have one. Apps aren't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I went from an ipad to 10.1 and i already have a custom kernel to take advantage of the voodoo sound for sound amplification.

just in case it wasn't covered by others, it doesn't do input
04 White Diamond CTS
f17881c2d660477b9151fe21fb4fb04b

illig

OUTPUT ONLY!

I have one... recently i bought the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the wife bought the iPad2, so i've had a chance to play with both.

I'm an Android person, so my whole online identity is tied to Google - so the Tab was the obvious choice, but here are a few things i realized after buying it:

1. Although it's thinner than the iPad, it has a plastic shell, not aluminum, so it doesn't feel as 'sturdy'. And the thickness advantage disappears when i feel that i have to put it in a full case while my wife just uses her iPad smart cover :/ That said, i don't think i would transport an iPad with just a smart cover (it doesn't seem it would protect it from a drop) - so i guess it's whatever you're comfortable with

2. It suffers from the same non-standard plug fuck-assedness as the apple devices - so you won't be able to use all your micro-USB chargers/adapters, etc. I bought a couple generic samsung cables with the tablet, so now i'm set - but it's worth mentioning. Also, it requires a ridiculous 2 Amps over USB (the other end of the cable) to charge - so again, you can't use your standard generic "usb plug" charger (like something you may have in your car, or *gasp* attached to your computer .... but Apple has the same issue.

3. Having flash on the tablet is really nice IMHO... there are still plenty of sites that insist of flash (IIRC Adobe is releasing some solution to that to iOS devices, however?)

4. think about whether you want a wifi only or a GSM/LTE enabled tablet - i thought i wouldn't care about having internet access everywhere, but now that i have my tablet i miss having the ability to connect everywhere (car, train, work, etc.) - i actually signed up for the hotspot ability for my cell-phone to get that access but having to deal with two devices when you quickly want to check a site is a bit of a PITA

hope this helps...

ph00ny

Biggest downside to 10.1 is the fact that it uses tegra2

It can't play high profile high def clips without stuttering (this is sad since my phone records in high profile 1080p at 30fps)

I'm desperately waiting for 7.7 with the gorgeous amoled screen in high def screen
04 White Diamond CTS

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00ny View Post
Biggest downside to 10.1 is the fact that it uses tegra2

It can't play high profile high def clips without stuttering (this is sad since my phone records in high profile 1080p at 30fps)

I'm desperately waiting for 7.7 with the gorgeous amoled screen in high def screen

Well the Terga 2 is what was available at the time for them to use. It's better than the alternative, a single core chip.

ph00ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazehell View Post
Well the Terga 2 is what was available at the time for them to use. It's better than the alternative, a single core chip.

I don't know. They do have their own dual core soc with much better multimedia playback capability and it was available at the time of the release
04 White Diamond CTS