General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Looking to buy a good receiver for casual music and movies.

I have been perusing the internet for a receiver lately. When I lived at home we had an awesome home theater. Now all I have is an 8 year old plasma and the speakers that came with it. I don't watch TV enough or have the space for a home theater, but wouldn't mind getting something to liven up whatever TV I watch and music I listen to.

Since I wont be installing anything more than 2.1, I figured I would concentrate on stereo receivers. Problem is there are more 5.1 and 7.1 receivers on the market than stereo receivers.

From the research I have done, I am between the Onkyo TX 8050(Stereo) and Pioneer Elite VSX31(7.1). Both can be had for around $300.

I don't know if the Yamaha RX V3xx,V4xx are any good at this price point, and I don't know much about Denon or Harmon Kardon. I

Obviously, I would love an NAD or Marantz coupled to some Martin Logan's but that's way out of my price range.

I figure a $300 stereo receiver will play better than a $300 5.1/7.1 since there is less money to stretch among the parts. I have also been thinking optical input on a stereo receiver would be better than analog to allow the internal dac to process the incoming signal rather than a sound card or cable box. I also know WPC doesnt mean much if the power supply is junk and another thing I am trying to be mindful of in my search.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Lurker; 10-24-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

I'm running an old Yamaha 5.1 receiver which I bought used for $50. Doesn't do HDMI or component switching, but I don't use it for video switching so I don't particularly care. Coupled with a set of New Advents (front) and Sledglings (rear) it makes for a great sounding "4.0" system. Don't need a center or a sub.

If you're using it for music listening, I'd say go this route - buy a used receiver of decent quality, not a new one. And spend your money on floor speakers with good bass extension, instead of cubes and a sub.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
I'm running an old Yamaha 5.1 receiver which I bought used for $50. Doesn't do HDMI or component switching, but I don't use it for video switching so I don't particularly care. Coupled with a set of New Advents (front) and Sledglings (rear) it makes for a great sounding "4.0" system. Don't need a center or a sub.

If you're using it for music listening, I'd say go this route - buy a used receiver of decent quality, not a new one. And spend your money on floor speakers with good bass extension, instead of cubes and a sub.

i'd second this... invest in some decent bookshelf or floor standing speakers not the receiver in fact, an older used receiver would work much better for your needs (think wood grain and analog gain meters ) than something that expects a sub and five extra surround speakers

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Any recommendations for models to keep an eye out for?

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

There's far too many model numbers out there, every manufacturer seems to release new versions/enhancements/whatnot of their receiver line every year.

Just look up specs/reviews of whatever you come across and decide for yourself.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Obviously, I would love an NAD or Marantz coupled to some Martin Logan's but that's way out of my price range.

Craigslist

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
There's far too many model numbers out there, every manufacturer seems to release new versions/enhancements/whatnot of their receiver line every year.

Just look up specs/reviews of whatever you come across and decide for yourself.

Thats what sucks, the plethora is just mind numbing.