General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

spanxxx
RMTC is the only man that can handle my tits!

Perfecting Planks

So I'm about to start day 5 of the insanity workouts (omg) I'm loving it so far, even though it's totally kicking my ass, but I'm having major difficulties with planks and push ups.

I've been trying to strengthen my core by doing a yoga video 3x/wk on top of insanity and I haven't really noticed much improvement - i'm getting frustrated!! I'm also modifying the push ups by doing them against the wall - something is better than nothing right??

I've got a huge bust so i can only assume that this is the main concern.

Does anyone have any recommendations to improve on this or do you think that insanity will help as I progress?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Artesial

The best thing for my core strength has been squats and deadlifts.

I've never had problems doing push or pull ups but for you I'd start with knee'd push ups or wall push ups and make it a goal to do at least 1 more per week at least and you should see improvements. Bench pressing with just the bar or overhead pressing can also help with this but I'm assuming you don't have that equipment at home.

One cheap piece of home equipment you can try are those rubber bands and you can do overhead presses with those.

On a side note, not to derail but what are your goal(s) for doing insanity? I'm assuming gain strength and maybe lose weight?

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

What is the insanity workout? is that a P90X thing?

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

aoeoae

it's sheer insanity.

also, squatz & oatz

and read the /r/fitness faq http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/Fitness

spanxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
The best thing for my core strength has been squats and deadlifts.

I've never had problems doing push or pull ups but for you I'd start with knee'd push ups or wall push ups and make it a goal to do at least 1 more per week at least and you should see improvements. Bench pressing with just the bar or overhead pressing can also help with this but I'm assuming you don't have that equipment at home.

One cheap piece of home equipment you can try are those rubber bands and you can do overhead presses with those.

On a side note, not to derail but what are your goal(s) for doing insanity? I'm assuming gain strength and maybe lose weight?
Sick, thanks!! Day 5 was pure cardio and I tried what you recommended with the knee push ups and while they were jumping up and down into a squat then 8 pushups I just went slowly and did 8 knee push ups.

I saw those bands the other day... Maybe I will grab one I have a resistance one. But there is no stretch to it.

My goals for insanity are simply to improve my self ... Even though it's only march I've had a lot of shit luck his year... I want to get through the work outs and see improvements with inches. I've just quit smoking and have never really been athletic... This is helping a lot and I l love feeling "the burn!" I would actually like to be able to run 5k.

I've also heard a lot of mention of p90x/insanity hybrid, so maybe I will go forward with that afterwards!

Tonight is cardio and abs, I may die... But if I survive til the end I may post my before/after... Although I don't know if I trust genmay enough.

Artesial

That's the best way to look at it, to do small steps in order to achieve a big goal. You'll be surprised in just a month or two what you'll see, the biggest thing is to not get discouraged after the 3 - 4 month window when you see diminishing returns.

For bands you want the stretchy ones and you can do a lot of light weight lifting with them but I wouldn't buy in store because you'll get ripped off or buy crap. Amazon is a good place to start: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+bands&x=0&y=0
$30 shipped for simple home equipment isn't a bad deal.

If you keep it up, stick with it, and don't skip workouts unless it's a dire emergency you'll be able to run a 5k within a year as long as you don't go back to smoking.

How long is insanity anyways?

spanxxx

Quote:
That's the best way to look at it, to do small steps in order to achieve a big goal. You'll be surprised in just a month or two what you'll see, the biggest thing is to not get discouraged after the 3 - 4 month window when you see diminishing returns.

For bands you want the stretchy ones and you can do a lot of light weight lifting with them but I wouldn't buy in store because you'll get ripped off or buy crap. Amazon is a good place to start: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+bands&x=0&y=0
$30 shipped for simple home equipment isn't a bad deal.

If you keep it up, stick with it, and don't skip workouts unless it's a dire emergency you'll be able to run a 5k within a year as long as you don't go back to smoking.

How long is insanity anyways?

Honestly I think I'm already seeing some slight results because I've been pushing myself but I will be taking pics throughout.

I've seen resistance bands which are just a long piece of stretchy plastic $9, is that something that would be beneficial??

The schedule for insanity is 9 weeks, 6 days a week. And essentially you just follow the schedule and play the different DVD on the day. Work outs are about 45 mins or so and it's long stretches of high intensity cardio with short breaks..

I often find myself screaming at the tv telling the instructor to go fuck himself, it's great to relieve stress hah!

Artesial

They would probably work however you'll get much better quality buying online as well as variety, but anything's better than nothing afterall.

Are you changing your diet as well or keeping the same? That's always something I've wanted to see if no change in diet and working out a bunch vs dieting and working out a bunch yield different results.

I would like to see before and after pictures too, even if you don't want to publicly post them. If you want PM me, I like to see people make progress in their physical feats. If you don't want to I understand though.

spanxxx

Quote:
They would probably work however you'll get much better quality buying online as well as variety, but anything's better than nothing afterall.

Are you changing your diet as well or keeping the same? That's always something I've wanted to see if no change in diet and working out a bunch vs dieting and working out a bunch yield different results.

I would like to see before and after pictures too, even if you don't want to publicly post them. If you want PM me, I like to see people make progress in their physical feats. If you don't want to I understand though.

Hmm ok I will look into them, I've got a very limited budget (unemployed)

I haven't changed anything about my diet.. I try to eat relatively healthy.. I make food at home daily and what not, but I need to eat more, I probably don't even eat 1000 calories right now. I have it in my head tho, it's hard to eat more when u have that stigma.

I was thinking about going back to my Atkins diet because I had killer results last time