General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Butthole Eliminator
 
Butthole Eliminator's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
People who compete always seem to be in a bulking phase or a cutting phase, but what about the guys who are looking to put on muscle and lose fat but never have plans to compete, should they just find a balanced diet that has the protein, carbs, etc. that they need and stick with it?? or do you need that bulking phase to actually make gains?

I think to make fast gains, a bulking phase is more effective. But if you're patient and have all the time in the world, just slightly increase your food intake by perhaps a few hundred calories. You can probably gain about 12 lbs in four months, but won't sacrifice your speed and work capacity. It's not a whole lot of weight, but i prefer that method over a bulking/cutting cycle. Honestly, there's no one absolute way to gain or lose weight. If you were to ask 10 people for a chili recipe, you're gonna get 10 different answers. It's all on preference and to what's your style.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM Butthole Eliminator is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
People who compete always seem to be in a bulking phase or a cutting phase, but what about the guys who are looking to put on muscle and lose fat but never have plans to compete, should they just find a balanced diet that has the protein, carbs, etc. that they need and stick with it?? or do you need that bulking phase to actually make gains?

The problem with trying to gain strength and lose fat is that it makes it much harder to gauge progress. You can get stuck not gaining strength, losing fat, or gaining muscle, and fool yourself into thinking you're just balancing things out. With a bulk or a cut, your goals are obvious: Gain weight/strength or lose weight. With a recomp, you're trying to do everything at once and can end up failing at everything more easily. It certainly can be done, but most people fail at it.

I've been happy with just doing mild "bulking" phases, focused on just eating enough to gain weight/strength without putting on a ton of fat. It's not as efficient, but I put on weight easily anyway. I've tried the whole recomposition thing a number of times, and I pretty much always end up spinning my wheels after a couple weeks.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP
 
g|aSsJaw's Avatar
 
Thank you both for your help. I don't want to hijack Vendettas thread, but I need to lose around 40lbs and still keep the muscle I have and maybe even gain a bit. Not sure how possible that is.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM g|aSsJaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

PapaBear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
Thank you both for your help. I don't want to hijack Vendettas thread, but I need to lose around 40lbs and still keep the muscle I have and maybe even gain a bit. Not sure how possible that is.

The problem is, gaining muscle and losing fat are two biologically incompatible processes. That's not to say it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle; just saying that you're only likely to gain muscle tissue (and fat) with a calorie excess in your system, and conversely only likely to lose fat (and some muscle inevitably) in the presence of a calorie deficit.

Blame evolution: accumulation of muscle tissue is inefficient for survival and the body always aims to burn up metabolically active muscle tissue over energy-rich and metabolically sluggish fat stores (good for caveman; bad for you).

tldr: concentrate on losing fat
__________________
4750c9c5da0936a4b74b257e6ced9f21 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM PapaBear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

Clos
cheezy
 
Well, after a one week vacation, I went to the gym again.

225x4 bench, 315x4 squat

Didn't quite get my 5th rep out on either, but not too bad considering my diet was hell last week (and today). Should get 405x5 deadlift on Wednesday.

No additional hunger what so ever. Ephedrine was a charm, and my CNS got a good break off both it and caffeine last week. Super jitters, more than I've ever felt before today.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

Clos
cheezy
 
Yay.

205x5 incline bench
365x5, 405x5, 425x2 deadlift

Strength going up. Turns out I'm using more shoulder and tri on my bench than chest. My incline actually feels quite easier than my bench, although I can't do as much. The movement in itself feels more natural.

Deadlifts are awesome, as always. I'll have absolutely no problem hitting 500 in 7 months, barring injury. Most likely will come around in 3-4 months.

Snapped a quick pic today, but it's not like you really have anything to compare it to. I'm definitely not getting fatter. I think I'm still near/over 20%.

http://hannsz.com/upload/files/8/15apr09.jpg
Pictures make me wish I never left the gym in the first place.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 PM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP
 
g|aSsJaw's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
Yay.

205x5 incline bench
365x5, 405x5, 425x2 deadlift

Strength going up. Turns out I'm using more shoulder and tri on my bench than chest. My incline actually feels quite easier than my bench, although I can't do as much. The movement in itself feels more natural.

Deadlifts are awesome, as always. I'll have absolutely no problem hitting 500 in 7 months, barring injury. Most likely will come around in 3-4 months.

Snapped a quick pic today, but it's not like you really have anything to compare it to. I'm definitely not getting fatter. I think I'm still near/over 20%.

http://hannsz.com/upload/files/8/15apr09.jpg
Pictures make me wish I never left the gym in the first place.

What are your stats (height/weight) and what is your diet like? If you want to PM me. I need a diet, I'm making good gains in the gym but I think a good diet will really take things to another level.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 AM g|aSsJaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

Clos
cheezy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
What are your stats (height/weight) and what is your diet like? If you want to PM me. I need a diet, I'm making good gains in the gym but I think a good diet will really take things to another level.

I'm 5'10 and still a bit north of 200.

You've completely got the wrong guy if you're for someone who actually practices some type of clean diet.

Here's what I have so far, from March 16th - April 16th. One month. I guess I have been losing some fat, especially around my waist.

(Today is on the left, 1 month ago is on the right. I'm I'm also relaxed and not flexing in either picture, to try and have even results.)
http://hannsz.com/upload/files/8/1mo1.jpg

Last edited by cheezy; 04-16-2009 at 06:37 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP
 
g|aSsJaw's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
I'm 5'10 and still a bit north of 200.

You've completely got the wrong guy if you're for someone who actually practices some type of clean diet.

Here's what I have so far, from March 16th - April 16th. One month. I guess I have been losing some fat, especially around my waist.

(Today is on the left, 1 month ago is on the right. I'm I'm also relaxed and not flexing in either picture, to try and have even results.)
http://hannsz.com/upload/files/8/1mo1.jpg

You don't eat clean at all??
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM g|aSsJaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

Clos
cheezy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
You don't eat clean at all??

My main meals are close to "clean". I did make a wicked mini-weiners and bean stew the other day though. Plenty of meats, both lean and fatty, and whole grains. My vices are chocolates, peanut butter, and some fast food items. Not so much fries, but big burgers, chicken burgers, Arby's roast beef.. I eat plenty of them, too. I stay away form most dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, but occasionally I wolf down a tub of Moose Tracks and shit the night away.

Generally speaking for my health, I'm still eating healthier and getting more nutrients (macro and micro) than a good majority of the public. It's worth my personal satisfaction to enjoy myself through food. I'm happier, more energetic, and motivated when I'm eating to satisfaction.

My beliefs right now are that it's completely calories in vs calories out for losing weight, and the more healthy fats and protein I eat, the higher chance I'll have of retaining my muscle mass. It works, in my experience.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

Clos
cheezy
 
Had to lift this morning because I Have things to do this afternoon:

135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 325x3 squat. The last two reps were so explosive the weight came off my traps and shoulders. Coming out of the hole was pretty tough, but I got it without any hitching.

225x4, 240x2, 225x4 bench. I had a guy working in with me and decided to do a little more, but it was heavy as fuck. I hate benching.

Dips (+25 and +35) and chins (+10 and +15) were great. I'm able to concentrate harder on the chins with lower weight, and my bi's feel much more worked. I'm not a big fan of bicep isolation exercises, so the more I get out of chins, the better.

Feel like a champ today.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

Clos
cheezy
 
Woot dead thread:

225x5 bench, 320x5 squat.

Feels good man. Noticed yesterday those there love handles are starting to slim up.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

Whizzleteets
I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
 
 
hey.

update.
__________________
[size=7][b]FULL LOAD MEAT CREW![/b][/size]
[[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlethread420451.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/thread255.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlewtf397921.jpg[/IMG]
follow mentner on twitter if you're not a giant fagmo.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM Whizzleteets is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

Clos
cheezy
 
V, where are you?

410x4 deadlift today. Followed with a set of 365x5 as a 6th set. Felt pretty good.

Making good progress cutting Attemping 335x3 squat and 230x3 bench on Friday.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM Clos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#119  

Drogean
 
list your weight bro
__________________
91f922ca036ec669aff8c62475228ec8 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 AM Drogean is offline  
Reply With Quote
#120  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.