General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Hydra

Stress from crappy job situation

I've been married for two years. My husband hasn't had a job for one year, his employer declared bankruptcy. I currently work two jobs part-time. I work three days a week at one job for 8.00 an hour, and take whatever I can get at the other. I'm full of discouragement and despair.

My best friend from high school got laid off from his job working in Chicago, and had to move back home with his family, because he couldn't afford Chicago apartment rent. His girlfriend lost her job. They both currently are trying to find jobs.

I plan to return to college this fall to take classes and hope that a college town has more to offer for jobs than a non-college town. I think moving will be a good thing, and I won't feel like I'm stuck in a deep rut not going anywhere.

My question is, are any of you experiencing similar situations in regards to your job situation? What are your plans to improve things?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

apextual
RMTC is the only man that can handle my tits!

why do you think that moving to a college town that's infested with people that are younger/dumber than you (and thus willing to be paid less) would be a good idea in terms of job security?

Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by apextual View Post
why do you think that moving to a college town that's infested with people that are younger/dumber than you (and thus willing to be paid less) would be a good idea in terms of job security?

I want to go back to college and finish up my bachelor's degree. I'm hoping a younger crowd will be more apt to get massage therapy.

Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I want to go back to college and finish up my bachelor's degree. I'm hoping a younger crowd will be more apt to get massage therapy.

I don't mean to discourage you further, but I think you're setting yourself up for failure here. You would probably have better luck moving somewhere where there is big money, as affluent people tend to spend more on this kind of thing that broke college kids. I'd be willing to bet that the average customer age for a message therapist would be considerably older than college age.

Then again I'm a skinny bastard that tends to turn food into poop faster than most. - :ninja:

apextual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
I don't mean to discourage you further, but I think you're setting yourself up for failure here. You would probably have better luck moving somewhere where there is big money, as affluent people tend to spend more on this kind of thing that broke college kids. I'd be willing to bet that the average customer age for a message therapist would be considerably older than college age.

seconded. in college, i was spending my money on my sorority and going to the bar. if i wanted a massage/facial/haircut etc., my mom was paying for it when i went home during vacations.

Gibonius

Quote:

Going back to school for career purposes, or just for general fulfillment?

MasoKissed
best PMO post evar!

I decided to do the teach english abroad thing since I found out that I basically despise marketing (what I studied in undergrad) and need a change of scenery.

TheJesus owns me.
e477fd9dcb95

Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Going back to school for career purposes, or just for general fulfillment?

Both. I want my degree so that when shit hits the fan, as in life it inevitably does, I'm prepared and comfortable enough financially to survive.

Vold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasoKissed View Post
I decided to do the teach english abroad thing since I found out that I basically despise marketing (what I studied in undergrad) and need a change of scenery.

i'm going to japan in 1 month to teach english!!
Proud Member of the Dschinghis Khan Club!

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

i'd go back to school full time, not for just the education, but for the loans to float me by.

spanxxx

I started from the bottom and worked my way up.
I got canned from my old job a year ago, got hired part time - 25 hours a week $12/hr. I have never put in so many 12 hour shifts, working my ass off, applied 3 times and finally got my promotion. I'm now a full time salaried account manager.

I went to school for Office Administration.. and I'm doing just that, I'm basically working here til I get more experience and get a higher paying job.

This is the first time I actually enjoy my job.

Cable

Hate the place I work at. Need a change of scenery soon.

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

Quote:
why would younger, healthier college kids spend what little cash they have on massages?

i'm at university and have quite a comfortable amount to live on just from government loans, but i still wouldn't spend money on that even if i could benefit from it.

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...