General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Ravenpilot

Have to quit drinking completely.

Let me start by saying im not an alcoholic. I drink maybe a few times a month and rarely drink to get drunk. I love beer tasting, and enjoy bourbon and whiskey. My problem is I recently got diagnosed with menieres disease and essentially have to go on a strict diet and some meds. I was told alcohol in moderation is possible, however I realized when I drink it makes everything alot worse, even if I just have one beer.

The main problem and concern I have is my friends. Theyre all heavy drinkers and used to me being able to hold my own in drinking. So anytime someone wants to hang out it seems to have to involve alcohol. How can I go about changing everything? How can I "enjoy" (for lack of a better word) hanging out with my friends if all they want to do is something I no longer can? Any advice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpilot View Post
Let me start by saying im not an alcoholic. I drink maybe a few times a month and rarely drink to get drunk. I love beer tasting, and enjoy bourbon and whiskey. My problem is I recently got diagnosed with menieres disease and essentially have to go on a strict diet and some meds. I was told alcohol in moderation is possible, however I realized when I drink it makes everything alot worse, even if I just have one beer.

The main problem and concern I have is my friends. Theyre all heavy drinkers and used to me being able to hold my own in drinking. So anytime someone wants to hang out it seems to have to involve alcohol. How can I go about changing everything? How can I "enjoy" (for lack of a better word) hanging out with my friends if all they want to do is something I no longer can? Any advice?

Try hanging out with them without drinking?

Maybe try asking them to do stuff with you that doesn't involve being drunk or tossing back shots. If they aren't down for that, then maybe they have bigger problems than you do.

I know where you're coming from and it's always hard to find things to do with friends who seem to only want to drink. Either you end up without friends, or you end up in situations that you don't want to be in because the people you're around just want to drink. Myself, I ended up without friends because the people I tended to associate myself with just wanted to drink, and I wasn't cool with that.

You should lay this all out for them and and explain the whole situation.

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

Also, I know how obnoxious it is to try and hang out with friends at a bar when they're drinking and you aren't. Do NOT, for any reason attempt to do that. It never works out and you end up more stressed out than you need to be.

Gibonius

If they're at all decent friends, just telling them you have a disease and can't drink will pretty much take care of the issue from their end. I don't drink most of the time for reasons vaguely related to a health condition and nobody gives me any trouble about it at all. You give them a good excuse, and people just accept it without question. My friends drink, rather frequently, but I just roll with it and act pretty much the same as if I was actually drinking, and it's not an issue at all.

Bit of a different story if they really like getting "fucked up" drunk though, that's not enjoyable if you're not drinking. If that's the scene with your friend, you will probably have trouble and I don't really know where you can go with it.

mainbrotha

I'm with Gib on this one. It should be pretty simple to explain to them that you aren't drinking for medical reasons, not for "anti-social" or condescending reasons like "i'm above that."

If your friends don't understand where you're coming from, that's where you'll run into an issue.

SamFarber

If you only drink a few times a month I don't see how you would miss it.

I would think you being the designated driver would make you really popular.

Cannondale

I quit seven months ago for similar reasons but now that I'm this far in I have decided to go teetotal for good now. Expand your social circle. If Meetup.com or similar has an active group in your area then get involved. If they meet in a bar, have a juice and you'll find new friendships founded on not getting wasted.

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
If you only drink a few times a month I don't see how you would miss it.

I would think you being the designated driver would make you really popular.

uh, yeah, not really ideal there. Nobody wants to have to be the babysitter every time, or to be the automatic "hey it's 3am and we've been out all night drinking, let's call Ravenpilot, he'll pick us up" guy. It's kind of like when you know stuff about computers, you're always getting those "hey I've missed you, we should catch up, oh and my computer is broken can you fix it" call.

edit: not saying being the DD is a bad thing, but the popularity you'd get from being the DD every time is not necessarily good.
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
uh, yeah, not really ideal there. Nobody wants to have to be the babysitter every time, or to be the automatic "hey it's 3am and we've been out all night drinking, let's call Ravenpilot, he'll pick us up" guy. It's kind of like when you know stuff about computers, you're always getting those "hey I've missed you, we should catch up, oh and my computer is broken can you fix it" call.

edit: not saying being the DD is a bad thing, but the popularity you'd get from being the DD every time is not necessarily good.
totally agree with what you're saying.

Just be honest with them and see how the evening goes without booze. If they're thinking that you drinking alcohol is part of the "friend" deal, then maybe you need to find some new friends. They should be able to cool with it and accept the fact that you're needing to change your lifestyle. If they're going to start taking advantage of you like august said, then you have to just drop their drunk asses off on the other side of town.

XJumper84
Father of the Crate Face, Keeper of the Crate Face

this sounds similar to the thread I made a while ago... http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=837063

I too quit drinking, and once you get over the hurdle of wanting to drink you can hang out with your friends who do drink. You'll quickly see how dumb they get when they are drunk and if your friends are true to you, they will begin to not drink in your presence.